Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HOME NETWORK WITH Virgin Media DG480 Super Hub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

HOME NETWORK WITH Virgin Media DG480 Super Hub

Old 25-09-2011, 14:08   #1
vcd_pat
Inactive

vcd_pat is an unknown quantity at this point
HOME NETWORK WITH Virgin Media DG480 Super Hub

Hi All... I was wondering if anyone could assist me with a straightforward guide to setting up a home network.

All I really want to do is be able to share files on my laptop running Windows 7 with another laptop running Windows XP SP3.

I have the Virgin Media NetGear DG480 Super Hub.

I've looked at several guides about setting up a network but despite considering myself as fairly intelligent being I don't understand what I have to do because every guide suggests something different.

I thought that as both laptops connected wirelessly to the Super Hub and each laptop was set up with the computer name as WORKGROUP that I would be able to access files quite easily (at least that is what Microsoft's guide suggests) but I get all sorts of error messages.

Do I need more hardware as well as the Super Hub, Cables etc?

I'm not a thicko but when you are trying something new, it can be rather confusing to find the right information. I look forward to hearing from anyone that can offer some assistance. Many thanks
vcd_pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-09-2011, 14:16   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: HOME NETWORK WITH Virgin Media DG480 Super Hub

As an experiment, does the file sharing work if you connect the laptops to the superhub wired?

It doesn't matter what router I've used, I've never had much success sharing wirelessly. Something to do with the wireless configuration settings (ad hoc mode or the opposite of ringin a bell) of the networking mode on the router I believe.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 14:25   #3
vcd_pat
Inactive

Hi Rob, thanks for your assistance. I've not actually tried connecting both the laptops with ethernet cables but I will give this a go later today and come back to you. What I cannot really understand is some guides suggest you needing a modem and a router but I thought that the Router removed the need for having more hardware... most likely I'm wrong!! Thanks again, Pat.
Old 25-09-2011, 15:31   #4
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcd_pat View Post
Hi Rob, thanks for your assistance. I've not actually tried connecting both the laptops with ethernet cables but I will give this a go later today and come back to you. What I cannot really understand is some guides suggest you needing a modem and a router but I thought that the Router removed the need for having more hardware... most likely I'm wrong!! Thanks again, Pat.
SHub is a combined modem and router. That's all the hardware you should need.
Win7 to Xp can be a bit of a black art sometimes. I'd go with trying wired connections as well. See if that makes any difference and come back to us.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 17:42   #5
jimpy0
Permanently Banned

jimpy0 is infamous around these partsjimpy0 is infamous around these parts

I have the SH hard wired to my main rig via ethernet, i kick out a wireless signal to an extender which anyone who i give my password to can connect. If your only connecting via wifi for all connections via the hub it should auto configure and asign ip's to any connected device. i use the extender as a neighbour has paid for the 10-30 meg upgrade and hardware so he can mooch my signal.

all wifi's connect via cheap 150mbps "n" adapter from china 1.99 each, who says networking can be expensive :lol:
jimpy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 18:07   #6
vcd_pat
Inactive

Hi Rob / David... thanks for your assistance. I connected each of my laptops to the super hub with ethernet cables. I ran the Add small home or office network setup wizard on the XP laptop and it got to the last stage and said it couldn't complete. I noticed in Windows 7 there is an option to set up a Wireless Ad-Hoc network but not wired. I am at a loss because I have no idea what steps I am supposed to follow in order for both of the laptops to become visible to each other... why does it have to be so complicated!?! Can you point me in the right direction? Do I need to add settings of some kind into the Super Hub... one of the only things I can think of is putting Windows 7 on to the Win XP laptop because that would give me the option of using the HomeGroup function in Windows 7 for file sharing but I don't particularly want to go through the rigmoral or doing that. Thanks again. Pat

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:59 ----------

Hi Jimpy0... I'm not really in a position to use ethernet cables as standard because I like to use my laptop in another room to where the SH is located. I can already connect both laptops via wireless to the SH without an issues, it's just the fact I want to download on my laptop and then share the files with a relative without having to waste time copying everything to a USB flash stick... surely there must be a simple way - you'd think that if both laptops were connected to the same Hub then simply turning on file sharing would sort that out but NO, this is Microsoft we're talking about... nothing is simple LOL!
Old 26-09-2011, 13:16   #7
jimpy0
Permanently Banned

jimpy0 is infamous around these partsjimpy0 is infamous around these parts

After asking some tech bods with a few more grey cells than me - Homegroup will only work for only linked windows 7 machines, and am informed its access only to shared folders and not able to download across the group - after many years i always go with the tried and trusted stick method never let me down or caused a headache -- as has been mentioned 7 to Xp can be a minefield due to differing folder protocols.

Due to not knowing where some peeps machines have been I always practice "Safe Stick"
jimpy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 12:21   #8
cczodell
Inactive

Services: VM
cczodell is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: HOME NETWORK WITH Virgin Media DG480 Super Hub

I too have similar problems with a Windows workgroup not working with the VM Super Hub.

My set up is slightly different. I have a desktop Windows XP system wired directly to the SuperHub but connect a Vista laptop wirelessly.

The workgroup used to work with the old Virgin modem and a wireless router that have now been replaced by the SuperHub. I used to be able share files in both directions and print from the laptop to the printer connected to the desktop, but not since installing the SuperHub!

Are there any settings on the SuperHub that prevent Workgroups working correctly?

Alan
cczodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 12:56   #9
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

If your superhub is not falling over every ten minutes then the wretched device is not responsible for home networking problems.

Some thoughts off the top of my head:
Don't use wizards
Disable/uninstall any software firewalls you have installed.
In XP to share a folder or a drive right click/properties and initiate folder sharing. It is quite straightforword.
In Win7 to share a folder or a drive right click/properties/Security/Edit and configure/introduce -Everyone- to have Full Control in the permissions.
On both/all connected machines, from networking properties configure all adapters link speed/duplex to their auto settings.
Reboot everything.

Hopefully......when you look in network (win7) neighberhood (xp) you should be able to see other computers on your network listed by whatever names you gave them.

To share, open the relevent folders and drag files across.

When you get that working on ethernet you can start thinking about wireless.

Good luck
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 11:25   #10
cczodell
Inactive

Thanks for the response. It was nothing to do with the VM SuperHub.

I've got to the bottom of it but haven't quite fixed it yet.

The problem was connected to the software firewalls on the PCs. I run McAfee Total Security on both. It is their firewall that is blocking access to file and print sharing. Despite allowing NETBIOS access through their firewall I still have problems.

If I turn the firewalls off then everything is OK.

If I use the Windows firewall and allow File & Print Sharing then it works. So I just need to sort out the McAfee settings. (I don't like using the Windows firewall as McAfee insists that my machines are not fully protected!)

The question as to whether I need software firewalls at all is another matter.

Alan
Old 16-05-2012, 12:03   #11
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Yes you do need software firewalls but you need good software firewalls. McAfee is just garbage and slows machines down.

A decent software firewall will automagically detect your home network.
Old 16-05-2012, 18:52   #12
cczodell
Inactive

Just for information!

Had online chat with McAfee this afternoon.

After much to-ing and fro-ing and checking all my settings, he suggested an uninstall/reinstall of McAfee Total Protection on both PCs.

After installation I turned on NETBIOS (Print & File Sharing) through the firewall and by jingo - IT ALL WORKS again!!

I don't understand why, but who's to say what happened??

Happy of Nottingham (with VM SuperHub and McAfee!!!)
Old 16-05-2012, 19:08   #13
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Glad you got it sorted.