Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Digital Phones

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Telephone through the Virgin Media Hub.

Old 22-08-2023, 09:24   #1
lemarsh
cf.geek

lemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of light
Telephone through the Virgin Media Hub.

Just received an email stating they are moving me to phone through the Virgin Media Hub.

However, i have an old style dial dial up phone - as in original, not an electronic one that looks like a dial up phone.

So it does not need power, or have anything like tones.

I am guessing that this cannot work through the Virgin Media Hub?

In that case, what happens? Do virgin have the right to say i have to change a phone? I love my phone - it works and is a great talking point when young kids (or older now!) wonder what it is!
lemarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2023, 09:33   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Telephone through the Virgin Media Hub.

To be honest I’m surprised that a pulse-dial phone works on the network even now. I’d be astonished if it works on VM’s IP-based service. I can only speak from personal experience with BT’s offering, but here we have a cordless handset that works over wifi.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2023, 01:32   #3
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarsh View Post
So it does not need power, or have anything like tones.
It does need power, how do you think the pulses work when you dial ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2023, 08:38   #4
lemarsh
cf.geek

lemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
It does need power, how do you think the pulses work when you dial ?
I have no idea on the technical side, all i know is that i can dial out on it and it works. I tested it yesterday. And being an old style phone, it definitely has no plug on it
lemarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2023, 08:52   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I have no idea on the technical side, all i know is that i can dial out on it and it works. I tested it yesterday. And being an old style phone, it definitely has no plug on it
Do you just mean its a corded phone ?. Always wise to have them in a power cut ( unlike wireless handsets, they'll work) Not that it will under the new system if your hub has no power, but that's an 'upgrade' VM style!
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2023, 09:22   #6
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
.... that's an 'upgrade' VM style!
All the telcos are doing it. An all round upgrade
Old 23-08-2023, 10:55   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Paul is making a fairly narrow technical point. You are correct, you do not need to plug it in to a wall socket to power it, whereas modern IP based phones that connect to your wifi (or direct to your hub) do require that.

However, even an old pulse-dial rotary phone requires power, which is supplied to it down the phone line itself. Telephone exchanges have battery backup so if you suffer a power cut they keep working.
Old 24-08-2023, 02:46   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Its not a narrow technical point, its a pretty important major point.

He stated it doesnt need power ... when it does. Pulse dial phones (aka dial-up, rotary) need power just as much as tone dial phones. It doesnt matter how its connected, plug or hard wired (nor was this even mentioned until after my post), but JFYI, you could get plug in pulse phones (and still can, afaik).

Exchanges have battery backup, but that on its own would not last too long, so almost all have backup generators as well. We used to test them once a month.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2023, 07:55   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Its not a narrow technical point, its a pretty important major point.

He stated it doesnt need power ... when it does. Pulse dial phones (aka dial-up, rotary) need power just as much as tone dial phones. It doesnt matter how its connected, plug or hard wired (nor was this even mentioned until after my post), but JFYI, you could get plug in pulse phones (and still can, afaik).

Exchanges have battery backup, but that on its own would not last too long, so almost all have backup generators as well. We used to test them once a month.
It’s only a major point to someone who is interested in tech and sees a device as a set of functions. To a consumer who sees a telephone simply as something you use to talk to your family they exist in two basic categories: those you have to plug in (cordless, answerphone etc) and those you don’t. Those you don’t plug in ‘don’t need power’ in that sense. To be honest these are the categories most people think in and that’s why the switch to internet based phones is confusing a lot of people.