Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | cat 5e cable for twin wall socket

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

cat 5e cable for twin wall socket

Old 14-03-2008, 12:17   #1
180turbo
Inactive

180turbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question cat 5e cable for twin wall socket

Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone could give their advice on what i'm going to do...

I'm planning on running some cat 5e cable from a bedroom down to the living room, both ending in double Ethernet sockets.

Seeing as the cable is 8 core (twisted) i will use 4 for each socket (all wired up with correct pin to pin). This will save me running 2 cables through.

Is there any disadvantage to doing this? I'm not trying to scrimp on running 2 cables as i do have 2 lengths, its just the space it will take up mainly.

I may as well use the other 4 cores in the cable as they won't be doing anything?

Thanks,
Paul
180turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2008, 12:26   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: cat 5e cable for twin wall socket

to the forum. Done correctly, using four cores shouldn't cause problems (AFAIK) as long as you don't need 100 meg connections (for connecting between computers in your house).

If you will be using the computers for communicating with the internet, or don't mind the speed being lower (be warned: You may be limiting your speed to 10 meg), then you shouldn't have a problem.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 12:44   #3
180turbo
Inactive

180turbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

The main PC is in that bedroom with a 4 port ethernet/adsl router (DHCP).

I'll be hopefully getting a PS3 soon, and after putting Linux on it too, will be able to surf on the TV downstairs as well as watch HD material and also play games. The other spare socket could be used in the future for a laptop or PC etc.

We're only on adsl Max (8meg) at the minute too, but are only getting 2-3meg as we're about a mile or so from the exchange. I'm hoping Internet access downstairs will be the same as upstairs. The cable run is around 9 meters.
180turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 13:04   #4
mr_bo
Inactive

Services: V+ | o2 BB
mr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful onemr_bo is the helpful one

Hi,
I share 1 cat5 cable for 2 devices without any probs.

pc1
|
r1- r2 - pc 2 + 3
|
xbox

With the cable sharing the connection from router#1 to router#2 and pc1

(if that makes any sense)
mr_bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 15:24   #5
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Or you could run the wall cable properly and then put in these on each end
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-R6G02...5508126&sr=8-2
That way if you ever need the increased speed you could put a proper hub at the end without repatching the wall cable.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote