Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving the Internet connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Moving the Internet connection

Old 28-07-2005, 13:31   #1
LUCAS123
Inactive

LUCAS123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Moving the Internet connection

I have a NTL Modem downstairs but i want to move it upstairs in full working condition. Is it safe to move the downstairs broadband box to upstairs and would it still work.

My NTL Box is sliver with lights. Any advice/suggestion?
LUCAS123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2005, 13:38   #2
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat
Re: Moving the Internet connection

Hi and to cableforum

If you have a cable outlet upstairs, then there should be no reason you cannot move the modem onto it.

However, it may be worth contacting NTL to move it, as they will normally route the cable for you, and make sure that the signal levels are correct in the new location (although they may charge for this..)

HTH
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 13:48   #3
LUCAS123
Inactive

Thanks for the welcoming and advice. It is purpose to link my downstair Computer and Upstair computer togther so i can share the Broadband.
Old 28-07-2005, 13:54   #4
blenky
Inactive

Services: M+ TV, TiVo 500GB, 100 MB BB, Phone
blenky will become famous soon enoughblenky will become famous soon enoughblenky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCAS123
Thanks for the welcoming and advice. It is purpose to link my downstair Computer and Upstair computer togther so i can share the Broadband.
Just an idea. Why not invest in a wireless router. Then put a wireless card in both computers and they will be able to share the broadband connection. That way you can keep the modem where it is.

I've got that set up at home. I've laptop downstairs and a desktop upstairs connected by wireless. Works a treat.
blenky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 13:54   #5
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

*Moved to Computers & I.T forum*

Please see http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=31794
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 14:03   #6
LUCAS123
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blenky
Just an idea. Why not invest in a wireless router. Then put a wireless card in both computers and they will be able to share the broadband connection. That way you can keep the modem where it is.

I've got that set up at home. I've laptop downstairs and a desktop upstairs connected by wireless. Works a treat.
Okay i have 2 computers is this a problem. A wireless router is connected to the card is it hard to set up? How much £ wise?
Old 28-07-2005, 14:19   #7
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Lightbulb Re: Moving the Internet connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCAS123
Okay i have 2 computers is this a problem. A wireless router is connected to the card is it hard to set up? How much £ wise?
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=74
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 16:42   #8
ntl customer
Inactive

Services: Weddings, christenings, barmitzvahs and funerals.
ntl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would recommend wired over wireless if you like to do a bit of DIY and want reliability.

I find that wired gives better performance if you are shifting around large files from computer to computer and also offers better security as nobody outside can potentially access your network (short of slinging an ethernet cable out of your window and having a big sign reading "free internet here" ).

But if you do choose wireless, make sure you secure your router properly, and also choose the fastest you can. Also, note the speeds you get on wireless are dependant on the distance from the router to the other computer, and the amount of walls/floors etc the signal needs to pass through.
ntl customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 21:31   #9
blenky
Inactive

Services: M+ TV, TiVo 500GB, 100 MB BB, Phone
blenky will become famous soon enoughblenky will become famous soon enoughblenky will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntl customer
Personally I would recommend wired over wireless if you like to do a bit of DIY and want reliability.

I find that wired gives better performance if you are shifting around large files from computer to computer and also offers better security as nobody outside can potentially access your network (short of slinging an ethernet cable out of your window and having a big sign reading "free internet here" ).

But if you do choose wireless, make sure you secure your router properly, and also choose the fastest you can. Also, note the speeds you get on wireless are dependant on the distance from the router to the other computer, and the amount of walls/floors etc the signal needs to pass through.
I've had both and would recommend wireless - as long as you get your set up right. My main PC is two floors above the router and my signal strength and quality runs at a constant 90%. I must have a fairly clear path (except for the floors!) between router and PC. I suggest you read up on it, plan it out and if you are confident your set up will work - go for it. It is very liberating. I can use my laptop anywhere in the house!

Security is easy to set up, OK it is not foolproof, but if you set it up it will stop all but the most determined banwidth stealer. Don't forget the router is also a hardware firewall.
blenky is offline   Reply With Quote