Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky SD picture quality on Sky HD box.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky SD picture quality on Sky HD box.

Old 26-02-2010, 10:38   #1
SAGARIS
Inactive

SAGARIS is an unknown quantity at this point
Sky SD picture quality on Sky HD box.

Having just had Sky HD installed I have noticed that while the HD channels are very good the SD channels are poorer quality than my old SKY+ box.Has any one else noticed this and is there anything that can be done setting or connection wise? Iam very disappointed.

Many Thnks
SAGARIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-02-2010, 11:17   #2
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Sky SD picture quality on Sky HD box.

I find SD noticeably better on Virgin than Sky. Not to say Sky is unwatchable, but I think the V+ boxes do a good upscale. I didn't think you should see a difference between Sky+ and HD box with regard to SD channels. I would get the engineer back out to check it.
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 12:30   #3
MikeyB
cf.geek

Services: BT FTTP, Humax Foxsat HDR Freesat+
MikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud ofMikeyB has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper007 View Post
I didn't think you should see a difference between Sky+ and HD box with regard to SD channels.
It's quite possible you will see a difference with the SD channels between Sky+ and Sky HD.

With a Sky+ box it is your TV that will do the upscaling, but with the Sky HD box connected using HDMI the Sky HD box now does the upscaling.

If your TV is better at upscaling than the Sky HD box then there could be a noticeable difference.

I went from Sky+ to Freesat HD, but notice no difference in the HD channels from normal viewing distance, not that I studied it close up.
MikeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 12:35   #4
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Odd, Sky SD is pretty good on my Sky HD box here.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 18:04   #5
Bluffdemon
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Phone and 50Mb BB , Tivo \m/
Bluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the roughBluffdemon is a jewel in the rough

i have no problem either with the SD stuff on sky with my hd box on my t.v looks sweet to me
Bluffdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 19:39   #6
NoKnowledge
Inactive

NoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond reputeNoKnowledge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGARIS View Post
Having just had Sky HD installed I have noticed that while the HD channels are very good the SD channels are poorer quality than my old SKY+ box.Has any one else noticed this and is there anything that can be done setting or connection wise? Iam very disappointed.

Many Thnks
Do you have a LCD or Plasma? I hardly hear many people complain about the SD quality on plasma and when I do it's usually a software problem either on Sky's part or the television.
NoKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 20:59   #7
pmhtuk
Inactive

pmhtuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't really experience any major problem with SD on the HD+ box, but I sometimes find the EPG sluggish.
pmhtuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:39   #8
SAGARIS
Inactive

Thank you for your replies.Having done some research on other sites,it would appear that it is a known problem, to do with the fact that the Sky+ box apparently allows your television to upscale the picture while the Sky HD box upscales the picture itself.A top end television set is better at upscaling than the SkyHD box hence the difference in Sd picture quality between the two boxes.
Old 01-03-2010, 20:59   #9
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

You can set the Sky+HD box to only output the HD channels in HD, leaving the TV to upscale any SD content.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:19   #10
SAGARIS
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
You can set the Sky+HD box to only output the HD channels in HD, leaving the TV to upscale any SD content.
Could you tell me how you would do this? Many Thanks.
Old 03-03-2010, 19:08   #11
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

It's in the picture settings somewhere.

Sky+HD box set to 1080i: HD channels are output at 1080i, plus SD channels are upscaled to 1080i.

Sky+HD box set to Automatic: HD channels are output at 1080i, plus SD channels are left alone & output at 576i (PAL).

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skyco...icleId=2344410
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote