Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus

Old 18-12-2021, 15:04   #826
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Jfman knows better than the WHO when it comes to discussing vaccine efficacy and prefers to discuss efficacy in his own terms. I guess he’s just a glass half empty sort of guy.

Meanwhile, according to the explainer here …

https://www.who.int/news-room/featur...and-protection

… efficacy is a vaccine’s ability to prevent development of disease, which in this case is Covid-19, and not its ability to eliminate detectable infection, in this case of the virus designated SARS-CoV-2.

According to that globally-accepted definition, we can indeed discuss Oxford/Astra, Pfizer, Moderna and the rest in terms of their ability to prevent people getting sick, and by that measure the statistics you quoted are the ones that apply.
We are indeed talking about two different things. However the post I replied to clearly referred to a ceiling of people to infect. A number of vaccines have been shown to have near zero efficacy against Omicron infection.

Vaccines will likely change the numbers getting seriously ill and/or die. But they aren’t likely to dent the Omicron spread.

I’m not sure they’re “my own terms” when they’re the headlines all the major vaccine manufacturers were happy to run with in their own press releases.

Last edited by jfman; 18-12-2021 at 15:17.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-12-2021, 15:10   #827
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Works Christmas parties I would expect are fairing the worst due to companies not wanting to be held liable for anything.

I was on a rare evening out last night and the town and pubs were just as busy as I have seen them.
Pretty much.
Our works party got canned (not that I go to it anyway).
The pub I went to for a meal last night was as busy as usual.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 15:11   #828
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Sky reporting deaths with omicron have gone from 1 on Tuesday, to 7 as of Thursday

Of course, usual caveats etc. apply
Old 18-12-2021, 15:13   #829
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

A lot of Football matches have been postponed today, I presume due to covid issues.

(or possibly issues implementing the latest checking rules ?)

Old 18-12-2021, 15:14   #830
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
A lot of Football matches have been postponed today, I presume due to covid issues.

(or possibly issues implementing the latest checking rules ?)
Most I’ve heard relate to players. Hopefully Arsenal goes ahead so I can watch something.

On a side note a couple of clubs reduced their capacity to get around checking rules. Aberdeen did that up here - max capacity 9,999.

Last edited by jfman; 18-12-2021 at 15:22.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 15:27   #831
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Most I’ve heard relate to players. Hopefully Arsenal goes ahead so I can watch something.

On a side note a couple of clubs reduced their capacity to get around checking rules. Aberdeen did that up here - max capacity 9,999.
The EFL said the other day 25% of players are refusing a vaccine.

Given that pretty much all of them are under 40 and have only just become eligible for a booster, even if they were double jabbed before, it's not surprising there are outbreaks at the moment.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 15:38   #832
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Every two to three days, was the original estimate.

In today’s Times - going from around 500 cases per day to over 10,000 cases per seems a fairly rapid growth rate in one week…

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...read-2w05d0rwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
That chart is an “estimate”. We’ll know for sure in a week or two

---------- Post added at 09:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

Come on Hugh you know the best way to mis-represent numbers is to use %

Testing has increased by 600,000 COVID cases by 40,000. Against last week.
Or a day or two…

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...erday-12499092

Quote:
The daily figures, released by the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), show 9,427 cases were recorded in England, 514 in Northern Ireland, 96 in Scotland and 22 in Wales.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 15:45   #833
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I've seen many posts from the "it's just a flu" idiots that have now changed to "I've got a runny nose and sore throat, it's just a cold, so I'm still going out with my mates to the match/pub/club".
Rather ignorant view to the point that MILLIONS of people have caught Covid-19, even before the vaccines were even released for general use, myself included and they had absolutely no symptoms.

The fact of the matter is, you can catch a lot of bugs and viruses and live on, many catch Flu and survive, many others sadly, do not but we learned to live with these illnesses - we got to stop panicking at every turn.

I am seeing on the ground, cancer issues being discovered far too late because people cannot get appointments, missed opportunities like these are going to cost many lives, we got to get the NHS back to being a National Health Service and not a National Covid Service.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 16:07   #834
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

90418 new cases announced today.

125 deaths.

1598910 tests
Old 18-12-2021, 16:13   #835
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Rather ignorant view to the point that MILLIONS of people have caught Covid-19, even before the vaccines were even released for general use, myself included and they had absolutely no symptoms.

The fact of the matter is, you can catch a lot of bugs and viruses and live on, many catch Flu and survive, many others sadly, do not but we learned to live with these illnesses - we got to stop panicking at every turn.

I am seeing on the ground, cancer issues being discovered far too late because people cannot get appointments, missed opportunities like these are going to cost many lives, we got to get the NHS back to being a National Health Service and not a National Covid Service.
Then it had to be balanced between treating covid & treating routine/urgent care.

If you allow covid to go unchecked then how long before such significant levels of primary/secondary health care professionals are unable to work due to either sickness or needing to isolate? What’s going to happen to those needing treatment for ‘normal’ issues and those with covid then?
Old 18-12-2021, 17:18   #836
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Then it had to be balanced between treating covid & treating routine/urgent care.

If you allow covid to go unchecked then how long before such significant levels of primary/secondary health care professionals are unable to work due to either sickness or needing to isolate? What’s going to happen to those needing treatment for ‘normal’ issues and those with covid then?
Hospitals have not become overwhelmed, so that is a red herring.

Covid has already been treated and has not been left unchecked. We have the vaccines. We were told they were our way out of it. We also have natural immunity to help.

We can’t ignore thousands of other medical problems that can be fatal if left unchecked this is the much bigger problem, not Covid.

Lockdowns do not work. Circuit breaker lockdowns don’t work either. Many will not comply, myself included. This madness of keep stopping & starting everything has to end now.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 17:35   #837
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Didnt Wales try a "Circuit Breaker" last year.
Did it really achieve much ? The whole UK went into lockdown anyway.

Old 18-12-2021, 17:47   #838
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Hospitals have not become overwhelmed, so that is a red herring.

Covid has already been treated and has not been left unchecked. We have the vaccines. We were told they were our way out of it. We also have natural immunity to help.

We can’t ignore thousands of other medical problems that can be fatal if left unchecked this is the much bigger problem, not Covid.

Lockdowns do not work. Circuit breaker lockdowns don’t work either. Many will not comply, myself included. This madness of keep stopping & starting everything has to end now.

That’s not what I’m asking, I’m asking you what will happen if you let the virus flood through society, the answer is that masses of primary & secondary health care professionals will be either off sick, or self isolating. both sets would potentially be unable to provide care to either covid or normal patients.

You’re right hospitals haven’t become overwhelmed yet, either in previous waves because we had lockdowns or in this wave because of course there is the lag between infection and hospitalisation. It is interesting however that London’s hospitalisation rate is up 30% week on week where the current epicentre of omicron infections is. I hope I’m wrong but I believe in the next 2-3 weeks we will see significant admissions. Time will tell.

Vaccines were our way out of this until the omicron variant came along, they’re now not as much the silver bullet that they originally were.

Natural immunity is not a protection against reinfection from omicron (or so the scientists say)

Turning to lockdowns, they’ve always been stated that their job was to suppress the spread of infection and to protect the NHS, nothing else. To that end they did their job exactly as was required.

Lastly, it is of course your choice should you wish to, and no doubt there will be a number of people who will agree and act in the same way. However, it appears in general that the British public are acting more cautiously.

Just my 2c
Old 18-12-2021, 17:50   #839
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Didnt Wales try a "Circuit Breaker" last year.
Did it really achieve much ? The whole UK went into lockdown anyway.
Wales have also had COVID passports, but they’ve decided to Dutch them now and just close nightclubs after some arbitrary date.

It’s all about optics, being seen to be doing something, when nothing is what might need to be done.

I remain nonplussed about any of it at the moment. Even with the infection numbers (and I read the update on the government U.K. HSA site and I consider myself intelligent but they don’t make it easy to understand) where they are, we are still miles away from where we were last year in regards to hospitalisation and death.

The vaccines are working and even with reduced properties due to Omicron, they still appear to be effective. Continue with the boosters, I had mine yesterday, I think we may be able to get through without further restrictions. Also turn off Sky and the BBC you’ll feel better………works for me.
Old 18-12-2021, 17:55   #840
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I bet she's not the only one hoarding them and causing greater scarcity for those that need them NOW.
I ordered some this morning no problem.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote