Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | connect TP-Link WR841 to Virgin Superhub, LAN settings

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

connect TP-Link WR841 to Virgin Superhub, LAN settings

Old 11-08-2014, 14:17   #1
BigPat
Inactive

BigPat is an unknown quantity at this point
connect TP-Link WR841 to Virgin Superhub, LAN settings

Hi, I hope someone can help. I think I'm a bit out of my depth.

I've just bought a TP-LINK WR841N router, which will sit in the kitchen. It's hard-wired up to my Virgin Superhub. The outcome I'm trying to achieve is to have both of these on the same network (for streaming, filesharing, etc) but I'm having difficulties. The Superhub's IP is 192.168.0.35, the TP-Link's LAN is 192.168.1.1, but the WAN it's getting from the suerhub is 192.168.0.18.

I'm trying to change the TP-Link's LAN to something in the 192.168.0.x range, but I can't do it. When I edited the TP-Link's LAN IP it told me I couldn't have LAN and WAN on the same subnet, so I tried changing the TP-Link's WAN IP to something static, but I kept getting 'wrong range' errors.

Am I going about this completely the wrong way? I was led to believe that I could do this, and then disable DHCP on the TP-Link once done. If I can't do this, how can I get these two networks talking to each other, and more importantly getting the TP-Link to talk to the NAS I have on the superhub's network?

Thanks for any help
BigPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2014, 16:26   #2
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: connect TP-Link WR841 to Virgin Superhub, LAN settings

Have you looked at the FAQ provided by TP Link

http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/fa...ywords=&faqid=

Hope this helps
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 17:15   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Without reading any gumf specific to tp-link, cant you disable dhcp on the tplink, set the shub to 192.168.0.1 (which I thought it was anyway, .35 is a bit random), add the tp link to the dhcp reservation list as 192.168.0.2 and then all devices which either connect to the shub or to the tplink will receive their address via dhcp from the shub and be in the same subnet?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 19:14   #4
BigPat
Inactive

I think I'm there now. I've changed the Shub to 0.1 and the TP to 0.2. I was completely confused by my netbook which wouldn't connect when the wifi was turned off, but that turned out to be a Windows thing where it favours wireless over wired connections, but I've amended that. The one thing I haven't tried, because I haven't been successful in earlier attempts, is to turn off the DHCP on the TP. On every other occasion, when I do that I can no longer connect to the TP (wired or not). I feel more confident this time, though, because the netbook also has a .0.x IP.

I've added the TP to the reservation list in the hub admin, but I'm not entirely sure what that does.

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:56 ----------

I've now turned off DHCP, successfully (kinda). The netbook will still connect wirelessly, but the phone will not.
Have I done this correctly? I've given the wireless network from the TP a different name than the wireless from the Shub.
Old 11-08-2014, 20:29   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

couple of things:

1) You put the tp link on the dhcp reservation list so you know that every time either of the routers reboot (the shub needs to hand out new ip's or the tp link needs to request a new one) that it is always going to get 192.168.0.2 and not a random address
2) if you disable dhcp and connect the shub to one of the tp links lan ports it basically turns the tp link into a combi switch/wireless access point. In order to do that though you first need to connect your pc/something to the tp link, set everything up in the way of wireless ssid, passwords, disable dhcp etc and then connect the tp link to the shub so it gets it's ip address etc
3) If you set the tp link with the same ssid as the shub then it will behave as one wireless network and your devices will switch between them seamlessly as you move around the house. The reason why your phone might not connect is because it is setup to access the shub's wireless network and not the tp links or vice versa or you have configured different ssid's.

By following the steps above you are basically extending your current network by allowing the shub to handle the routing, dhcp leases and serve as the gateway, with a second router acting as a wired switch for devices elsewhere in the house and also a second wireless access point extending your coverage. By using the same ssid, you are creating a bigger version of the same wireless network (which is what you want) with overlapping channels. (As an fyi you also need to keep the passwords the same on each of the routers as well).
Old 11-08-2014, 21:39   #6
BigPat
Inactive

The problem I'm having now, though, is that the Shub is telling the TP that its WAN address is 192.168.0.2, but shouldn't it be telling it that its LAN address is that? This is why I can't get the connection right.
Old 11-08-2014, 21:43   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

The cable you are using to connect the two routers needs to go from a lan port on the shub to a lan port in tge tp link (not the wan port). You'll probably need to restart the tp link afterwards
Old 11-08-2014, 22:50   #8
BigPat
Inactive

Do you know what? I think it was as simple as that. I'm so used to putting the inbound cable into the different coloured socket that I never stopped to think. Thank you so much for your help, it's very much appreciated.
Old 11-08-2014, 23:21   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

np dude, happy to help
Old 12-08-2014, 17:42   #10
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

You may need to manually set the address on the second router, as well as reserving it, as the router might not request DHCP over the LAN ports.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote