Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 5th Upstream

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

5th Upstream

Old 06-11-2023, 18:49   #61
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: 5th Upstream

I have 5 Upstream channels listed under 3.0, I have a 6th upstream channel listed under 3.1.

Downstream I appear to have 31 channels listed under 3.0, and 1 listed under 3.1 (with 208 Uncorrectable errors).

On another page, DOCSIS Mode is listed as 3.1

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2023, 10:16   #62
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It's not normal. What I'm not sure about is whether the 417K uncorrectables you have are entirely down to your data. Your modem "sees" everything on your segment. The modem filters on a unique security key and that data proceeds past that gate and onto your router.
I thought it was normal on the 3.1 side of things sorry for posting misleading info
Old 07-11-2023, 10:28   #63
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
I thought it was normal on the 3.1 side of things sorry for posting misleading info
No worries. You can't be expected to know what you don't know!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 16:47   #64
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
No worries. You can't be expected to know what you don't know!
Is there a minimum and maximum PLC Power (dBmV) spec for a 3.1 downstream channel as mine shows as -2.0?
Old 07-11-2023, 19:52   #65
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

The power level range for d3.1 is the same as it was for D3.0. That is because at the symbol level, its just a collection binary bits out of which the modem has to make sense.

The official (CableLabs) range is -15dBmv t0 +15dBm. That is the range within which the modem will try and make sense of what it is receiving. The practical range is c. -7dBmv through +15dbMv. Sometimes the higher power level (above 10dBmv) can be problematical if there is considerable noise that gets amplified by that high power.

-2dBmv is fine. D3.1 downstream can operate in a frequency range of 252 MHz to 1788MHz (D3.0 is constrained to 1002MHz at the high end). In practice, VM use a frequency above 690MHz which will attenuate the power transmitted by the last active node (c. 44 dBmv iIrc).

A good technical read at: https://www.commscope.com/globalasse...-docsis-wp.pdf

Old 11-11-2023, 10:08   #66
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

376 million corrected errors now, with no reboot since my last update in this thread.

Also interestingly I used to get on old firmware semi regular T3 timeouts on the 3.1 US and not a single one since the new firmware was installed.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 10:23   #67
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I seem to have less collectables since I last reset and posted the number on 5/11 1,164,395,478 and my uncorrectable errors are currently at 910209.
Old 11-11-2023, 12:05   #68
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Correctable don’t matter. Uncorrectable do if there are constantly rising. However, an very high and upwards moving correctable number is a sign of signal impairment that could lead to uncorrectable.

Old 13-11-2023, 19:10   #69
Broken Hope
cf.addict

Broken Hope has disabled reputation

Mine updated on the 1st and I'm at 4023 uncorrectable so low compared to what's being reported here.
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2023, 15:04   #70
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Had an outage during the night, a bunch of post RS errors on 3.0 downstream channels, and 76 T3 timeouts on my 3.1 US channel.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote