Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 5th Upstream

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

5th Upstream

Old 02-11-2023, 05:44   #46
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: 5th Upstream

On the new firmware now, modem was stuck in flashing yellow light loop for some hours, I figured it had enough time to upgrade firmware so power cycled it, it went back to flashing yellow and resigned myself to reporting a fault later, but then when I noticed my IP come up in pfSense, and glanced back was green light.

Speedtest is ok, but all my 3.0 upstream channels are stuck on QAM 16.
Attached Images
File Type: png hub5newfirmware.png (63.0 KB, 20 views)
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2023, 11:51   #47
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
On the new firmware now, modem was stuck in flashing yellow light loop for some hours, I figured it had enough time to upgrade firmware so power cycled it, it went back to flashing yellow and resigned myself to reporting a fault later, but then when I noticed my IP come up in pfSense, and glanced back was green light.

Speedtest is ok, but all my 3.0 upstream channels are stuck on QAM 16.
What's your downstream say, I have over 3.8 million uncorrectable errors on my 3.1 but not messed to reset it yet as connection appears fine?
Old 02-11-2023, 12:10   #48
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
What's your downstream say, I have over 3.8 million uncorrectable errors on my 3.1 but not messed to reset it yet as connection appears fine?
That’s absolutely normal nothing wrong don’t worry uncorrectable errors on the 3.1 channel
Old 02-11-2023, 22:04   #49
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
My upstream is QAM64 now, it fixed itself.

I will attach a screenshot of my downstream here, but so far so good, no timeouts, and 0 unfixable errors.
Attached Images
File Type: png hub531channelds.png (28.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-11-2023, 10:18   #50
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

This firmware has messed up my 5ghz WiFi channel on the hub, after I rebooted it to clear the errors I had no access to my 5ghz WiFi, turns out it had locked itself on channel 120 which is a DFS channel for radar! So changed it to 40 and all is fine again.
Old 03-11-2023, 19:56   #51
GW1988
cf.member

GW1988 is an unknown quantity at this point

In basic terms, what are the advantages of these new 3.1 channels?
GW1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 08:23   #52
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW1988 View Post
In basic terms, what are the advantages of these new 3.1 channels?
Lots more bandwidth available to customers, the channels were here before, just that the hub5 wasnt reporting them in the GUI.
Old 04-11-2023, 15:01   #53
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Tucked into the 5th channel and the Docsis 3.1 scenario are some technical surprises. Given that the D3.1 and D3.0 upstream data needs to arrive at the same time sort of thing, the D3.0 channels are woven into sub-channels of the D3.1 channel. Quite a clever innovation by CableLabs.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 13:30   #54
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Curious of a screenshot?
Old 05-11-2023, 14:11   #55
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Curious of a screenshot?
I've reset it since posting, it currently shows corrected errors 2896038797 and uncorrectable errors 417317.

---------- Post added at 14:11 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
That’s absolutely normal nothing wrong don’t worry uncorrectable errors on the 3.1 channel
Why is it normal?
Old 06-11-2023, 00:49   #56
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Luckily I am still zero, I sympathise as that would probably annoy me if it was going up.

You can try reporting, but I think if you dont have a visible effect on your service, they will likely say is no issue with your service.
Old 06-11-2023, 08:05   #57
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I've reset it since posting, it currently shows corrected errors 2896038797 and uncorrectable errors 417317.

---------- Post added at 14:11 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

Why is it normal?
It's not normal. What I'm not sure about is whether the 417K uncorrectables you have are entirely down to your data. Your modem "sees" everything on your segment. The modem filters on a unique security key and that data proceeds past that gate and onto your router.

Therefore, the uncorrectables would statistically include traffic not destined for you. That said, I have just 57 uncorrectables and it's not rising. I would deduce that yours is a somewhat noisy downstream.

Old 06-11-2023, 15:05   #58
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It's not normal. What I'm not sure about is whether the 417K uncorrectables you have are entirely down to your data. Your modem "sees" everything on your segment. The modem filters on a unique security key and that data proceeds past that gate and onto your router.

Therefore, the uncorrectables would statistically include traffic not destined for you. That said, I have just 57 uncorrectables and it's not rising. I would deduce that yours is a somewhat noisy downstream.
My downstream is saying locked SC-QAM is something wrong there?
Old 06-11-2023, 15:20   #59
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
My downstream is saying locked SC-QAM is something wrong there?

That'll refer to the primary channel which is currently a Docsis 3.0 channel. When the modem is turned on it goes through registration - that's on a D3.0 channel. I expect the D3.1 downstream channel to say QAM4096 (as mine does).

Old 06-11-2023, 16:13   #60
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

That'll refer to the primary channel which is currently a Docsis 3.0 channel. When the modem is turned on it goes through registration - that's on a D3.0 channel. I expect the D3.1 downstream channel to say QAM4096 (as mine does).

On the Downstream tab it does say QAM 4096 and upstream says QAM256, so all ok on that front?