Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | sharing internet pc and mac

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

sharing internet pc and mac

Old 21-03-2007, 12:08   #1
davegoorn
Inactive

davegoorn is an unknown quantity at this point
sharing internet pc and mac

hello all
This is my first post so i hope you will be gentle with me
My question is this :
how would i share my internet connection between my pc (xp)and apple mac (os10) computer
at the moment its connected to my pc via usb which works fine
If i take a network lead from the modem to my apple mac and attach it to the ethernet card it works great as well, but you cant run both machines off the cable modem at once.
Im looking to have a wired network as ive no need for wireless
whats the easiest and cheapest way to allow both computers to share my internet connection
Many thanks in advance

Daveg
davegoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2007, 12:13   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: sharing internet pc and mac

I would say get a standard Wired Router, but the difference in price between a Wired and a Wireless Router is so little these days, it makes sense to buy a Wireless Router and simply turn off the Wireless function as it could come in useful for any multitude of reasons at a later date. I would definitely recommend sticking to using Ethernet by the way as it is a lot better at Networking than USB
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 12:37   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Probably the cheapest short term solution is the one you have, sharing the PC's connection with the mac via the USB. The draw back is simple - USB creates a bit of a performance lag, and you have to have the sharing PC on.

A slight upgrade in performance only terms would be to add a second network cards are dirt cheap, but you'll still need both PCs on.

That leaves a router as the prefered option. If you are convinced you won't need wireless then just get a wired one (make sure it doesn't have a inbuiolt ADSL modem if used on cable). Now both computers can operate iindependently. If you buy wired only you can add a wirless access point later if you find that facility is needed.

As networking standards move on, if you don't need wireless now, in a couple of years faster technology that can be plugged to your modem might exist, so why buy wireless if you really don't need it yet?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 13:31   #4
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

you can pick up a wired router for about £30.
I have a Linksys one from Amazon. Cost about £28 and does the job nicely.
Just make sure it is a cable router and not an ADSL router. Only use ADSL routers if you connect to the Internet via ADSL.

Also, check that you have ethernet (network) ports on your PC and Mac as these connect to the router.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2007, 13:47   #5
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
you can pick up a wired router for about £30.
I have a Linksys one from Amazon. Cost about £28 and does the job nicely.
Just amek sure it is a cable router and not an ADSL router. Only use ADSL routers if you connect to the Internet via ADSL.

Also, check that you have ethernet (network) ports on your PC and Mac as these connect to the router.
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Perip...roductId=26142

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/97602/rb/26279960403

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/s...tml?NOV-DSLR4+

3 diffrerent wired routers, all for under £25

Probably better than leaving the pc on all the time to get internet on the mac

But if you want to do it even cheaper use a bit of Cat5 crossover between the pc and the mac

Plug the modem into the USB on the pc

goto "network connections" in controll panel

Right click the NTL modem and click properties.

Click "sharing"

Tick the box next to "allow other network users to connect though this computers internet connection"

click ok.

The PC will then share its internet connection to the mac. (personaly i prefer the router methord as it doesn't require the pc to be on like this does)
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 12:18   #6
davegoorn
Inactive

davegoorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to all for your help i will have a go this weekend
davegoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2007, 10:07   #7
squirrel1970
Inactive

squirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of light

If your mac has 'Airport Extreme' then you're probably best getting a wireless router, hooking the pc to the router and letting the mac find it on it's own (which it can and will do)

And from there, follow dragons advice. Right now, I can't remember the 'how to share between two computers thing' where one comp is a mac (I'm still a n00b to macs.. lol )

but yeah, you'll get there eventually...
squirrel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote