Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Book of Boba Fett

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

The Book of Boba Fett

Old 29-12-2021, 21:15   #16
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: The Book of Boba Fett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Ooh, I disagree, but fair enough.
Ditto, I give it 6/10, a good start, but room to get better.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-12-2021, 22:07   #17
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Ditto, I give it 6/10, a good start, but room to get better.
Old 01-01-2022, 19:55   #18
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Absolutely flipping superb.
i was going to leave this for a while because I am way behind on my tv and have loads to catch up but from talking to different people over the last two days I have found everyone either loves it or hates it and somebody who I work with made a very specific comment which I am curious to see if I agree with.

To be fair I thought it looked alright from the trailers so I am expecting to like it. I have decided I am going to bump it to the front of the queue and watch it tomorrow and I'll report back.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 16:44   #19
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I would say I am 70/30 about it atm. I loved the locations, the costumes and the sound and the general nostalgia; it works wonders for my realism factor. The two things I have a gripe with atm are the character and some of the shots. I know it is a series which is on Disney+ and has to be suitable for everyone but atm his behaviour isn't in keeping with his character with regards to how he is dealing with situations and I would expect to see him be more ruthless. For example, I would have expected him to kill the dude the mayor sent to welcome him and then go and kill the mayor as well; installing a replacement that would be loyal to him and sending a clear message to everyone to get in line. Secondly, the wide angle long distance shots of the city look great and real but when they keep cutting to close shots on the roof chase showing you one roof at a time you can tell they are stages/sets and it just looks too fake and artificial like Thunderbirds.

I will persevere for now because atm the positives out way the negatives.
Old 02-01-2022, 18:12   #20
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I would say I am 70/30 about it atm. I loved the locations, the costumes and the sound and the general nostalgia; it works wonders for my realism factor. The two things I have a gripe with atm are the character and some of the shots. I know it is a series which is on Disney+ and has to be suitable for everyone but atm his behaviour isn't in keeping with his character with regards to how he is dealing with situations and I would expect to see him be more ruthless. For example, I would have expected him to kill the dude the mayor sent to welcome him and then go and kill the mayor as well; installing a replacement that would be loyal to him and sending a clear message to everyone to get in line. Secondly, the wide angle long distance shots of the city look great and real but when they keep cutting to close shots on the roof chase showing you one roof at a time you can tell they are stages/sets and it just looks too fake and artificial like Thunderbirds.

I will persevere for now because atm the positives out way the negatives.
I think the idea is that he’s on a Journey. The cut scenes showing his time with the sand people are showing his gradual transformation from bitter lonely orphan to something else, likely much more empathetic. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that they have him forming a relationship with a juvenile of the tribe.

Besides all of the above, we actually know a lot less about him than we think we do, given how little canon screen time he’s actually had. He was never Empire - he was a freelance bounty hunter, and despite being a clone he lacked the military modifications given to the original clone army derived from his father. Star Wars liked to paint in broad brush strokes, almost invariably black or white, but even in the original films the grey shades are there if you want to see them.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:31   #21
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Watched it last night. The flashback scenes were a little confusing at first. It's good enough to look out for the next episode.
Old 06-01-2022, 19:09   #22
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Watched the second episode last night. Concentrating on relations with the sand people. Not sure about this.
Old 06-01-2022, 19:25   #23
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

He should have stayed in the Sarlacc pit.
Old 06-01-2022, 19:27   #24
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

They’ve clearly decided that the more interesting story is his escape from the sarlacc and how he came to be who he now is - both of which are pretty important given a/ his apparent grisly death in RotJ and b/ how little we knew about him, other than “bounty hunter **** who captured Han Solo”.

This week’s episode is pretty immersive. There’s a little forward momentum but as you say, it spent a lot of time fleshing out who the sand people really are. A couple of things of note are Fett’s choice of name for them, simply “Tusken” and not “Tusken raiders” or “sand people” which could be deemed perjorative, and the way in which he asserts their “ancestral rights” to the Dune Sea.

Star Wars never spent much time exploring the cultures it portrayed. It was always pretty black and white, so the sand people were “bad” because they clonked Luke on the head and Boba Fett was “bad” because he picked up the job of bringing in our action hero, who had offended one of the galaxy’s leading crime families (which in the Star Wars universe now begins to look like a more-or-less legitimate grievance).

If the franchise is going to have a future beyond the central Skywalker/Palpatane family saga and its related events then it is going to have to attend to the uncomfortable fact that its universe is pretty two dimensional a lot of the time. I think this new series is addressing that and personally, I really enjoyed just spending time with the Tuskens last night.
Old 06-01-2022, 23:11   #25
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I really enjoyed just spending time with the Tuskens last night.
That was one of the most enjoyable 45mins of television I have sat through in a long time, and it just happened to be Star Wars, not because it was Star Wars.

As you say, this is fleshing out elements of the Star Wars lore, that couldn’t be done in the film series. In the films sand people just were sand people, we knew nothing about them other than they moved in single file to hide their numbers and liked taking pot shots at pod racers, that was it. But now we know a bit more about who they are. I love it, just love it at the moment.
Old 06-01-2022, 23:55   #26
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I have to say, I did quite enjoy it as well.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 00:08   #27
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Not sure about this.
me neither. It would have worked well as a coming of age/right of passage story for random Joe Bloggs who had been kidnapped but for a skilled Mandarlorian who is a seasoned veteran and assassin it is absolute joke that he has to learn hand to hand combat from a peasant tribesman. He should have been able to floor him.
Old 07-01-2022, 00:18   #28
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
me neither. It would have worked well as a coming of age/right of passage story for random Joe Bloggs who had been kidnapped but for a skilled Mandarlorian who is a seasoned veteran and assassin it is absolute joke that he has to learn hand to hand combat from a peasant tribesman. He should have been able to floor him.
It wasn’t any old hand to hand combat - it was the particular skills and techniques of fighting with a gaderffii. When the tribal elders judged him ready, they sent him on a dream quest in which he also collected the wood from which he then crafted his own weapon. It’s not for nothing that he ends up in a traditional campfire dance in which he ritualistically performs many of the moves he’s learned. This absolutely is a rite of passage story, with classic rebirth overtones seeing as he literally burst out of his supposed grave.

If you think that episode was just supposed to be about a mandalorian learning to fight then there’s an entire layer of it that’s just completely passed you by.
Old 07-01-2022, 00:55   #29
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
there’s an entire layer of it that’s just completely passed you by.
No. My point is that he wouldnt have done it and he didnt need to do it. It isnt in keeping with the character.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:02   #30
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
No. My point is that he wouldnt have done it and he didnt need to do it. It isnt in keeping with the character.
And my point is that if you pay attention to the story they’re telling, you can see that he absolutely did do it, and why. We know almost nothing about Boba Fett prior to this - certainly not enough to make such assertions about what’s ’in keeping’ with the character. Besides, what’s ’in keeping’ with a character in a single, specific situation is quite a different matter to the way characters change and grow through their experiences. Sure, the Boba Fett who took Han Solo from Bespin probably wouldn’t have joined a Tusken tribal dance, but then the Boba Fett who danced with the sand people had lived with them, and grown attached to them, having escaped certain death in the sarlacc pit. That sort of thing changes your outlook on life.