Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

The future of television

Old 04-01-2022, 17:08   #466
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

I’m still at a loss as to who is the net beneficiary from such a proposition. Not the aggregator - they’re not making any money from the end user and not the streaming services that don’t get promoted.

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I'm not sure I follow you OB.

Are you saying VM should do some kind of deal with Netflix, Amazon or whoever, to get their streaming services onto/into the VM packages?

Would they (VM) price this new service higher, lower or equivalent to the standard Netflix (or whoever) pricing?

Wouldn't current Netflix (etc) subscribers simply stay as they are instead of entering a new 18 month contract with VM?

Apologies if I'm way out
Join the queue.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2022, 17:25   #467
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I was really thinking about content aggregation as opposed to one subscription for all the streamers.

---------- Post added at 15:52 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

The advantage of permitting viewers to bookmark all their content in one place, which was my point, is that it enables you to keep track of your viewing and it reminds you of what you have on your watchlist.

Since getting the 360 software, I have not been able to add Netflix programmes to the Virgin watchlist. This has resulted in our house watching fewer Netflix shows - not deliberately, but because out of sight is out of mind. Accessing different watchlists for different streamers is a pain for the viewer. We have watched a lot more Prime of late.

It’s not about the layout of the apps or whether you subscribe once to the whole lot - it’s about ease of access to content.
You’re just repeating the same point you already made. I get why it’s convenient for you, but it is commercially inconvenient for the streamers, who don’t want their highly branded products to be lost on a shelf alongside all the others, in a tv supermarket run by an “aggregator”.

There are lots of things that would be convenient for customers, but which businesses don’t do because it doesn’t make commercial sense. You repeatedly saying “but I want this” doesn’t cut it.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 18:34   #468
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’m still at a loss as to who is the net beneficiary from such a proposition. Not the aggregator - they’re not making any money from the end user and not the streaming services that don’t get promoted.
The aggregator wins because such a service will be likely to attract users of streaming services.

It’s good for the streaming service because it keeps viewers interested in the service they provide as the viewer is reminded of programmes from that streamer that the viewer has already selected. As I said, the absence of Netflix from the 360 watchlist has resulted in us watching Netflix content less.

And of course the viewer wins because navigation between the services is improved. All your selected content is in one place.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You’re just repeating the same point you already made. I get why it’s convenient for you, but it is commercially inconvenient for the streamers, who don’t want their highly branded products to be lost on a shelf alongside all the others, in a tv supermarket run by an “aggregator”.

There are lots of things that would be convenient for customers, but which businesses don’t do because it doesn’t make commercial sense. You repeatedly saying “but I want this” doesn’t cut it.
I think you are missing the point Inam making, with respect. I don’t see how you think the products are ‘lost on a shelf alongside all the others’. The apps can be made separate as they are now - I am merely referring to an integrated wish list, as it works for Netflix, Prime and StarzPlay on the V6 already.

I would remind you that most people would still go to the apps themselves to find out what programmes to add to the watchlist in the first place.
Old 04-01-2022, 18:45   #469
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
The aggregator wins because such a service will be likely to attract users of streaming services.

It’s good for the streaming service because it keeps viewers interested in the service they provide as the viewer is reminded of programmes from that streamer that the viewer has already selected. As I said, the absence of Netflix from the 360 watchlist has resulted in us watching Netflix content less.
But it can’t simultaneously promote every streaming service - there’s only a limited amount of prominent space. To that end you’re asking some streamers to accept lower prominence than others based on paying a third party or giving them a cut.
Old 04-01-2022, 20:25   #470
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I would remind you that most people would still go to the apps themselves to find out what programmes to add to the watchlist in the first place.
Well I certainly wouldn't. Is it even possible?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 00:32   #471
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
But it can’t simultaneously promote every streaming service - there’s only a limited amount of prominent space. To that end you’re asking some streamers to accept lower prominence than others based on paying a third party or giving them a cut.
I didn’t say they should promote it, did I, jfman? I am simply saying it should be possible to have one wish list rather than multiple wish lists.

You have it already on the V6! You’re reading too much into it.

---------- Post added at 23:32 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Well I certainly wouldn't. Is it even possible?
Look at the V6. Search for a programme that’s on Netflix. Bookmark it. Search for one on Amazon. Bookmark it. Search for one on StarzPlay. Bookmark it. Now you have three programmes from three different streamers on your V6 watchlist. When you select that programme, it takes you into the app and into the programme.

Netflix and Amazon also have their own watchlists, but obviously only programmes on their own apps can be selected from there.

Are you with me yet?

Unfortunately, you cannot do this with the 360 software with Netflix - only the other two.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:39   #472
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Look at the V6. Search for a programme that’s on Netflix. Bookmark it. Search for one on Amazon. Bookmark it. Search for one on StarzPlay. Bookmark it. Now you have three programmes from three different streamers on your V6 watchlist. When you select that programme, it takes you into the app and into the programme.
Exactly. Which is not "go[oing] to the apps themselves to find out what programmes to add to the watchlist"
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:30   #473
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

One advantage on the V6 is that you search and it finds programmes on different services so you don't need to go to the app to find the programme. You don't even need subscription to search so if you now find that a programme of interest is on "searchable service" you could be tempted to subscribe. This can even happen where say season 1 is "broadcast" - you record/watch it - then find that later seasons are on subscription service - also tempting you to join.

Further if you do subscribe you can play from whatever source on on device and not really care where the content comes from. Content owner still gets their money and the broadcaster can attract customers in that the services are all available on their platform, some within a single interface at least for initial search. Even playing "directly" on V6 opens the app and plays the content so after playing you are in the content owners app being tempted with more content there.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:39   #474
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Exactly. Which is not "go[oing] to the apps themselves to find out what programmes to add to the watchlist"
I merely said you could do that, not that it was the only way. What I am advocating is that all streamers should be capable of offering the same service as is on the V6. It's not exactly revolutionary.

Sky have already gone for the full integration idea as well, which some on here are saying is not viable!

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
One advantage on the V6 is that you search and it finds programmes on different services so you don't need to go to the app to find the programme. You don't even need subscription to search so if you now find that a programme of interest is on "searchable service" you could be tempted to subscribe. This can even happen where say season 1 is "broadcast" - you record/watch it - then find that later seasons are on subscription service - also tempting you to join.

Further if you do subscribe you can play from whatever source on on device and not really care where the content comes from. Content owner still gets their money and the broadcaster can attract customers in that the services are all available on their platform, some within a single interface at least for initial search. Even playing "directly" on V6 opens the app and plays the content so after playing you are in the content owners app being tempted with more content there.
Exactly, tweetiepooh. I'm not sure why some posters on here cannot see that.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:58   #475
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I merely said you could do that, not that it was the only way. What I am advocating is that all streamers should be capable of offering the same service as is on the V6. It's not exactly revolutionary.

Sky have already gone for the full integration idea as well, which some on here are saying is not viable!

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 ----------

Exactly, tweetiepooh. I'm not sure why some posters on here cannot see that.
Has it? Can't see it on our Sky Q - you can search Sky or Netflix but there's no option to bookmark anything in a big combined all seeing list. If you select a Netflix result from the the Sky Q search then you just go to the result in the Netflix App.

Sky Q also has lots of other apps - iPlayer, Prime, peacock, discovery+, Disney+, Apple TV+ etc but the search only works on the Sky tv guide/on demand OR Netflix. The other apps don't get a look in! Also, I'm not sure if the Sky on demand is a full or partial offering - eg are all the iPlayer episodes of Eastenders part of Sky on demand?
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 21:36   #476
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Has it? Can't see it on our Sky Q - you can search Sky or Netflix but there's no option to bookmark anything in a big combined all seeing list. If you select a Netflix result from the the Sky Q search then you just go to the result in the Netflix App.

Sky Q also has lots of other apps - iPlayer, Prime, peacock, discovery+, Disney+, Apple TV+ etc but the search only works on the Sky tv guide/on demand OR Netflix. The other apps don't get a look in! Also, I'm not sure if the Sky on demand is a full or partial offering - eg are all the iPlayer episodes of Eastenders part of Sky on demand?
When I referred to Sky, I was referring to the inclusion of Netflix programmes on their home page. This was something that some posters were saying wouldn’t happen.
Old 05-01-2022, 21:55   #477
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

I think in a few more years, the television (TV) will be consigned to the same dusty history cupboard as the VCR, Plasma TV, One Megapixel Cameras, 4 Gig HDD's and DDR2 RAM.

Technology, what a ride eh.

Head sets is where the future lies, everyone sitting at home (or the bus, train, plane etc) wearing something like the 'oculus rift' head set with films/programs/music streamed straight in.
No more arguing what to watch or how loud/quiet it is, no more scrabbling down the back of the sofa for the remote, in fact the only problem I can see is people missing their stop on a journey because they were too focused on the latest Spiderman movie . . . or Coronation Street

Would be very surprised if the patents aren't already sorted
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 21:55   #478
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
When I referred to Sky, I was referring to the inclusion of Netflix programmes on their home page. This was something that some posters were saying wouldn’t happen.
So an advert?
Old 05-01-2022, 21:59   #479
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
So an advert?
It’s a display of content both on Sky and on Netflix.

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I think in a few more years, the television (TV) will be consigned to the same dusty history cupboard as the VCR, Plasma TV, One Megapixel Cameras, 4 Gig HDD's and DDR2 RAM.

Technology, what a ride eh.

Head sets is where the future lies, everyone sitting at home (or the bus, train, plane etc) wearing something like the 'oculus rift' head set with films/programs/music streamed straight in.
No more arguing what to watch or how loud/quiet it is, no more scrabbling down the back of the sofa for the remote, in fact the only problem I can see is people missing their stop on a journey because they were too focused on the latest Spiderman movie . . . or Coronation Street

Would be very surprised if the patents aren't already sorted
I think that would go the same way as 3D. No, it’ll all be fed straight into your brain.
Old 05-01-2022, 22:01   #480
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
. No, it’ll all be fed straight into your brain.
Some people may require the 'bum bag set' then
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote