Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Telephone service codes: BT and Telewest

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Telephone service codes: BT and Telewest

Old 05-07-2005, 23:00   #1
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Telephone service codes: BT and Telewest

I came across this on my travels, some of you might find it useful.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2005, 08:12   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Telephone service codes: BT and Telewest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ D
I came across this on my travels, some of you might find it useful.
Maybe someone could break it down into an article and add the NTL details too?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:44   #3
Nemesis
Inactive

Services: Virgin stuff
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Nemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny starNemesis has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Nemesis

Good find, we just need the ntl codes too, then I can put into an article.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:57   #4
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon M
Good find, we just need the ntl codes too, then I can put into an article.
Maybe someone in NTL can provide the details? We have a lot of the codes here (multiple codes for most services though ) but it would be easier to get the info from NTL themselves.

There are a lot of details on pages 7-11 here
http://www.ntl.com/home/telephone/pd...pdf?1120639923 but like I said multiple numbers for a lot of services.
Old 15-11-2005, 15:58   #5
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

BT service codes:

Anonymous Caller rejection:
On: *227#
Off: #227#
Check Status:*#227#

Call baring:
On: *341servicecode#
Off: #341servicecode#
Check Staus: *#341#

Call Divert:
On: *servicecode#
Off: #servicecode#
Check Staus: *#servicecode#

Reminder Call:
Set the time: *55Time/00.00#
Cancel: #55#
Check Status: *#55#

BT Answer and Callminder: 1571

CLI Services:
Number of the last caller: 1471
Return the call: Dial 3 when promted.
1471 eraser: 1475
Trace caller(Nuicence calls only): 1477
Number withold: 141
Release CLI: 1470

BT Pay and Call: 14252

BT choose to refuse: 14258

BT Operator Assistance: 100

International operator asistance: 155

Disabled operator assistance: 198

Disabled free Directory enquires: 195

BT customer service: 150 and 152

BT residential faults: 151

BT Business faults: 154

BT Chargecard: 144

BT Line test facilities: 17070

Service codes for Call Divert:
All incomming calls: 21
All Busy calls: 61
All unanswered calls: 67

All of the above shortcode numbers including 17070 can be accessed from all BT lines and BT's payphones. 152 and 154 can be accessed from Telewest phones.

BT indirect access codes for accessing another provider:

131,132: Cable and Wireless,Tiscali
1282: BT Ring me free
1280: Access BT
1363: 1363 Limited
18866: 18866 Limited
1452: Eurobell Communications
1271: Thus
1883: Alpha Telecom

Telewest Service codes:

Number withold: 141
Release CLI: 1470
Number return: 1471
Message minder: 1571
Cable and Wireless operator assistance: 100
International operator assistance: 155
Telewest line testing ringback: 156
Telewest Customer services: 150
Telewest Faults: 151
BT Business: 152
BT Business Faults: 154
Blueyonder Credit services: 173
Blueyonder Dial up access: 179
Disabled Directory Enquiries: 195
Eurobell indirect access via BT line: 1452

Call Divert:
*70telephonenumber# to turn on diverts for all incomming calls.
*71telephonenumber# to turn on divert for all busy calls.
*76telephonenumber# to turn on diverts for unanswered calls.

To cancel settings, dial # service code (70,71 or 76).

Reminder call: dial *73 entertime(00.00) wait for announcement.
To cancel dial #73.

Call Baring:
To make an outgoing call to a number which has been barred dial #80 enter pin and then dial the number you are calling.

To bar incomming calls dial *81
To cancel dial #81

There are no specific codes for ringback when busy. To cancel a ringback busy request dial #5.

These calling feature codes will not be compatable with Eurobell Telephone lines. Eurobell use similar codes to BT. Some franchises differ to the above list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Maybe someone in NTL can provide the details? We have a lot of the codes here (multiple codes for most services though ) but it would be easier to get the info from NTL themselves.

There are a lot of details on pages 7-11 here
http://www.ntl.com/home/telephone/pd...pdf?1120639923 but like I said multiple numbers for a lot of services.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 22:57   #6
Skyornot
Inactive

Skyornot is an unknown quantity at this point

That's all very well. But what about prices?? I'd be very surprised if there weren't some charges involved in using some of those numbers.
Skyornot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 23:52   #7
Halcyon_Kent
Inactive

Halcyon_Kent is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Telephone service codes: BT and Telewest: 1741

I subscribe to virgin media, ex-Telewest for phone calls. When I transferred from BT, I brought the number over to the new service.

By mistake, I dialled 1741 instead of 1471, and heard a male recorded voice saying "The number you are dialling from is ... followed by a number which is not the one I use I live in mid-Kent. Any idea what this service is supposed to be for?

Thanks in anticipation,

Halcyon
Halcyon_Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 15:21   #8
paulash134
Inactive

paulash134 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Telephone service codes: BT and Telewest

In answer to your question

...By mistake, I dialled 1741 instead of 1471, and heard a male recorded voice saying "The number you are dialling from is ... followed by a number which is not the one I use I live in mid-Kent. Any idea what this service is supposed to be for? ...

The code 174 is for an engineering service which identifies the line number. On old GPO/BT exchanges depending on type you could also start some simple tests and get a ring back. (Codes; 173/174/175/176/177) The additional 1 you dialled is extraneous and will be lost.

I'm not sure, and I'm prepared to be blasted out of the water, but when you port numbers around the BT/Telewest network they only really divert the numbers to other numbers to effect the required solution.
paulash134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 14:03   #9
MoodySuzie
Inactive

Services: BT, BT Vision, BT Broadband
MoodySuzie has a spectacular aura about themMoodySuzie has a spectacular aura about themMoodySuzie has a spectacular aura about themMoodySuzie has a spectacular aura about them

[QUOTE=m419;625391]BT service codes:

Anonymous Caller rejection:
On: *227#
Off: #227#
Check Status:*#227#

Call baring:
On: *341servicecode#
Off: #341servicecode#
Check Staus: *#341#

Call Divert:
On: *servicecode#
Off: #servicecode#
Check Staus: *#servicecode#

Reminder Call:
Set the time: *55Time/00.00#
Cancel: #55#
Check Status: *#55#

BT Answer and Callminder: 1571

Tried the first one, maybe it's out of date now
MoodySuzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 16:22   #10
Paul K
Inactive

BT switched to a system where certain services could only be enabled/ disabled via customer services and could not be done by key press anymore.
Old 04-08-2008, 17:43   #11
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Although this is a really old thread, this might be helpful for all VM customers

http://www.virginmedia.com/customers...main-guide.pdf (A Full feature code user guide for all regions)
Old 27-01-2009, 21:44   #12
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

That guide has a few errors!

In the Red zone:

The codes for using Anonymous caller Rejection in the ex-Telewest areas excluding the ex-Telewest Eurobell areas are 1478 to switch it on and 1479 to switch it off.

The codes for Quick Dial(Speed Dial) is *74 not *75 for ex-Telewest users (Not Eurobell) This feature was ceased in the Cable London(North London) franchise in 2001,whether or not it has been introduced again Im not sure but check before ordering if you live in this franchise.

If your an ex-NTL user, I would seriously double check the codes used as some of them have not been listed correctly, the ex-Bell Cable Media franchise telephone network is similar to the one used by Telewest/United Artisits in some areas,the same system is also used by NTL City and Westminster(Videotron) and NTL Telephone network serving the city centre of Manchester.

I think Virgin Media should redo that brochure again or do a guide for each area.

The calling feature Warmline is not listed, it is available in the ex-General Cable and Yorkshire Cable Telewest franchise.
Old 27-01-2009, 22:29   #13
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The guide is not wrong. Where the codes don't match what Telewest used to use they have been updated.

Where they don't match what NTL used to use, they have been updated

Warmline has been withdrawn as a service, so is not avaliable to any new customer
Old 27-01-2009, 22:47   #14
m419
Inactive

Its just that the guide says call 1765 which i did and it said i'm in the red zone. And it says dial *227# ect... for anonymous caller rejection as soon as you get to the second 2 it plays one long continous tone, I dial 1478 and 1479 for the anonymous caller rejection service, most NTL areas are the same! Its so unfortunate that they have all different systems for various cable franchises! It cant be helped since they were all seperate cable companies when they started between 1984 and 1996!
Old 27-01-2009, 22:57   #15
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Do you pay £2.50 for ACR?

Before the book was put together there was work done to unify the codes

I'm not saying that older codes *might* work for legacy customers.

But for anyone adding codes on NOW - for which the code book was designed for - they will work