Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of virgin mobile...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

The future of virgin mobile...

Old 16-02-2022, 13:58   #31
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: The future of virgin mobile...

Because a B2B Contract is completely different to a B2C Contract - consumers tend not to have their senior managers and lawyers checking the contracts out before signing, and there’s very little likelihood of consumers getting the Supplier to amend the contract.

But you knew that already…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 16-02-2022 at 14:01.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2022, 18:33   #32
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Exactly and this suits big business just fine.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 20:31   #33
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Exactly and this suits big business just fine.
When you were involved in your business, did you negotiate individual contracts with your consumer customers?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 22:48   #34
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough

They will shut it down as I can't see O2 wanting to hold onto the Virgin branding to be honest I think they will get rid of it as its a terrible brand compared to them, I was with virgin mobile years ago when it was a joint venture between Virgin & T-Mobile they were actually brilliant... fast forward to 2006 when NTL got their grubby hands on it went down hill poor customer service and general rip off.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 01:07   #35
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Exactly, that's why I left. I'm surprised that Virgin allow their brand to be tarnished like this.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 12:34   #36
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrock101 View Post
They will shut it down as I can't see O2 wanting to hold onto the Virgin branding to be honest I think they will get rid of it as its a terrible brand compared to them
The company currently has a dual brand (as per the attached). Both O2 and Virgin are powerful brands. It's unlikely that they'll choose one over the other.

I would expect a new identity to be formulated in the fullness of time.

Quote:
I was with virgin mobile years ago when it was a joint venture between Virgin & T-Mobile they were actually brilliant
It was not a joint venture, VMO2, is a joint venture between Liberty Global and Telefonica whihc both own 50% of VMO2. Virgin Mobile pre 2006 was a thin MVNO that used T-Mobile's RAN and back office. It was basically just a re-badged T-Mobile service.

Quote:
fast forward to 2006 when NTL got their grubby hands on it went down hill poor customer service and general rip off.
Virgin Mobile towards the end of the EE contract and into the Vodafone Contract transitioned from a Thin MVNO to a Thick MVNO where they only utilised the Mobile operators RAN and everything else (back office, core network, etc) was VM.

VMO2 have already advised that they are ending the MVNO contract with Vodafone and therefore Virgin Mobile will cease to be.
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture1.png (4.5 KB, 201 views)
Old 21-02-2022, 16:59   #37
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

So .. If Virgin Mobile ceases to be, will all VM customers be moved to O2 ?

That will presumably mean a new SIM ?
What about phones locked to VM ? (If any exist these days).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 19:04   #38
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
So .. If Virgin Mobile ceases to be, will all VM customers be moved to O2 ?
That would be my expectation

Quote:
That will presumably mean a new SIM ?
I'm not from the Mobile world, it may. Virgin Mobile switched from the EE RAN to the Vodafone RAN without the need for a new SIM, as I understand, because all of the network behind it was VM.

If they can integrate current VM back office into O2's there may not be a need for a SIM switch, I don't know tbh.

Quote:
What about phones locked to VM ? (If any exist these days).
Again, don't know depends on how they do with the question before that.
Old 22-02-2022, 05:29   #39
ash45
cf.member

Services: Gig1
ash45 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
The company currently has a dual brand (as per the attached). Both O2 and Virgin are powerful brands. It's unlikely that they'll choose one over the other.

I would expect a new identity to be formulated in the fullness of time.

It was not a joint venture, VMO2, is a joint venture between Liberty Global and Telefonica whihc both own 50% of VMO2. Virgin Mobile pre 2006 was a thin MVNO that used T-Mobile's RAN and back office. It was basically just a re-badged T-Mobile service.

Virgin Mobile towards the end of the EE contract and into the Vodafone Contract transitioned from a Thin MVNO to a Thick MVNO where they only utilised the Mobile operators RAN and everything else (back office, core network, etc) was VM.

VMO2 have already advised that they are ending the MVNO contract with Vodafone and therefore Virgin Mobile will cease to be.
actually yes it was a joint venture between One2One and the Virgin Group, Deutsche Telekom (T-Mobile) sold their share a few years later and then even later NTL:Telewest bought the network to gain access to the branding, just because it was/is an MVNO doesn't mean it cant be a joint venture.

Tesco Mobile is an MVNO but is 50% owned by VMO2
ash45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 01:33   #40
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

has anyone who tried upgrading their virgin mobile tariff been told they're moving to o2?
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 10:11   #41
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Virgin Mobile SIMs have moved to the O2 radio network for most customers and that migration should be finished soon.

For some upgrades when you speak to an agent you may now also be offered O2 options as well as the Virgin Mobile ones. If you accept an O2 deal you'd be moved over to being a 'full' O2 customer.

Otherwise you remain a Virgin Mobile customer, and nothing has been announced about that changing.
Old 19-09-2022, 09:23   #42
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Virgin Mobile SIMs have moved to the O2 radio network for most customers and that migration should be finished soon.

For some upgrades when you speak to an agent you may now also be offered O2 options as well as the Virgin Mobile ones. If you accept an O2 deal you'd be moved over to being a 'full' O2 customer.

Otherwise you remain a Virgin Mobile customer, and nothing has been announced about that changing.
Hello Ben,

Have you been getting reports of terrible performance since the migrations started?

When VM was on the EE network it was superb. Moved to the Vodafone network and it was not quite as good but pretty decent. Since moving to o2 it has been diabolical. 4G speeds of 0.25mbps are not uncommon. It basically renders the phone useless, struggle to even load plain text a lot of the time.

It’s been widely documented that o2 have capacity issues, I can’t believe between VM and o2 they thought shifting a further 3-4 million customers onto the network was a good idea!
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2022, 12:28   #43
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vm_tech View Post
Hello Ben,

Have you been getting reports of terrible performance since the migrations started?

When VM was on the EE network it was superb. Moved to the Vodafone network and it was not quite as good but pretty decent. Since moving to o2 it has been diabolical. 4G speeds of 0.25mbps are not uncommon. It basically renders the phone useless, struggle to even load plain text a lot of the time.

It’s been widely documented that o2 have capacity issues, I can’t believe between VM and o2 they thought shifting a further 3-4 million customers onto the network was a good idea!
Silly question could just be were you are , had Vodafone and it was rubbish now have Tesco (o2) which is great
Old 20-09-2022, 22:37   #44
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

i was getting 600kb on 5G with o2 today!
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2022, 21:51   #45
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
i was getting 600kb on 5G with o2 today!
Same here, however for me it was at the same time of a big Virgin TV and broadband outage in my area (Teesside).
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote