Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 06-10-2022, 16:41   #1486
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: The energy crisis

5G backup for me. I can’t believe I’m in the fifth richest economy in the world
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2022, 17:07   #1487
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
5G backup for me. I can’t believe I’m in the fifth richest economy in the world
By what "measure"?

Other countries, including Germany and France, have been making "worst case" plans. Nothing unique to the UK or wealth of country.
We are exporting electricity to France, Belgium, and the Netherlands, so they must desperately need it at the moment.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 17:24   #1488
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
By what "measure"?

Other countries, including Germany and France, have been making "worst case" plans. Nothing unique to the UK or wealth of country.
We are exporting electricity to France, Belgium, and the Netherlands, so they must desperately need it at the moment.
I agree our economic decline probably means we aren’t the fifth richest economy int the world. Still, I shouldn’t be asked to tolerate 3 hours of blackouts. That’s supposed to be the type of event that distinguishes us from a failed state.

The fact other countries will likely be joining us is a red herring.
Old 06-10-2022, 17:32   #1489
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
I agree our economic decline probably means we aren’t the fifth richest economy int the world. Still, I shouldn’t be asked to tolerate 3 hours of blackouts. That’s supposed to be the type of event that distinguishes us from a failed state.

You still haven't answered the question of "by what measure".
The FACT that other even richer(by whatever measure) countries are ALSO making plans for possible, IE not definite, scenarios it not a "red herring". Saying it's a "red herring" is actually the "red herring".
Old 06-10-2022, 17:55   #1490
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

Of course it isn’t a red herring - it’s a clear indication that exceptional circumstances apply, and the usual metrics might not be useful.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 18:06   #1491
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Of course it isn’t a red herring - it’s a clear indication that exceptional circumstances apply, and the usual metrics might not be useful.
If a number of economies all fell for the false belief the private sector alone could (and indeed would) satisfy all our needs that collective failure doesn’t detract for our own.

Given your penchant for British exceptionalism, I’d have expected you to have not accepted being the average of following the sheep as an excuse for our lack of energy security.

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Quote:
You still haven't answered the question of "by what measure".
The FACT that other even richer(by whatever measure) countries are ALSO making plans for possible, IE not definite, scenarios it not a "red herring". Saying it's a "red herring" is actually the "red herring".
My measure is I expect the role of the state is to ensure energy security rather than rely on “the markets”, Russia or the Middle East.

I expect when I flick the light switch it to go on. That’s my measure. I don’t live in South Africa where rationing is a part of life.
Old 06-10-2022, 18:17   #1492
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
If a number of economies all fell for the false belief the private sector alone could (and indeed would) satisfy all our needs that collective failure doesn’t detract for our own.

Given your penchant for British exceptionalism, I’d have expected you to have not accepted being the average of following the sheep as an excuse for our lack of energy security.
Oh please.

You proposed that energy supply problems were an indicator of a ‘failed state’. There are miles of clear blue water between ‘long-term policy failure’ and ‘failed state’.

I actually thought you were better at nuance than this.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 18:19   #1493
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Oh please.

You proposed that energy supply problems were an indicator of a ‘failed state’. There are miles of clear blue water between ‘long-term policy failure’ and ‘failed state’.

I actually thought you were better at nuance than this.
It’s absolutely the measure of a failed state. That’s why I’m surprised to see it (proposed) here.
Old 06-10-2022, 19:08   #1494
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
By what "measure"?

We’re exporting because we have very very limited storage compared to other nations. But as per usual you knew that already and chose to ignore
Old 06-10-2022, 19:25   #1495
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
We’re exporting because we have very very limited storage compared to other nations.
Apart from The Electric Mountain, what other ELECTRICITY storage does the UK have? Will all the electric vehicles have to plug into the grid to give up their power?

Last edited by Hugh; 06-10-2022 at 21:24.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 19:40   #1496
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

[QUOTE=Taf;36136210][QUOTE=mrmistoffelees;36136202]We’re exporting because we have very very limited storage compared to other nations.
Quote:

Apart from The Electric Mountain, what other ELECTRICITY storage does the UK have? Will all the electric vehicles have to plug into the grid to give up their power?
Bugger got that terribly wrong apologies all
Old 06-10-2022, 20:14   #1497
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
<SNIP>

My measure is I expect the role of the state is to ensure energy security rather than rely on “the markets”, Russia or the Middle East.

I expect when I flick the light switch it to go on. That’s my measure. I don’t live in South Africa where rationing is a part of life.
Jfman is absolutely right. The public expect the government to do everything to assure supply of power and heat. Remember, it's government green policy that has put us at risk, not to mention the destruction of gas storage.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 22:33   #1498
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

How has any of that got anything to do with how "rich" a country is?
Only 5% of our gas requirements have come from Russia. For the EU as a whole it's 40%. Germany by itself 55%. Germany doesn't have any LNG facilities for importing gas, the UK has 3.

Which situation would you rather be in? UK, EU, Germany?
There were shortages and price increase before Russia did anything.

The problem is that each country will try and outbid others for whatever gas there is.
South Africa relies on ageing coal-fired plants, which are having problems, just as France's Nuclear plants are/were having problems.
At this very moment, we are exporting 1GW to France, 1GW to Belgium, and 1GW to the Netherlands. If it wasn't for the UK, one or more of those countries would be facing blackouts.
Old 06-10-2022, 22:55   #1499
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
How has any of that got anything to do with how "rich" a country is?
Only 5% of our gas requirements have come from Russia. For the EU as a whole it's 40%. Germany by itself 55%. Germany doesn't have any LNG facilities for importing gas, the UK has 3.

Which situation would you rather be in? UK, EU, Germany?
There were shortages and price increase before Russia did anything.

The problem is that each country will try and outbid others for whatever gas there is.
South Africa relies on ageing coal-fired plants, which are having problems, just as France's Nuclear plants are/were having problems.

At this very moment, we are exporting 1GW to France, 1GW to Belgium, and 1GW to the Netherlands. If it wasn't for the UK, one or more of those countries would be facing blackouts.
To set against that, the National Grid have warned that we must prepare for blackouts. If that scare is justified, we're as far up shit creek nix paddle as the other countries you've mentioned. Possibly worse because we have no gas storage facilities.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:59   #1500
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I expect when I flick the light switch it to go on. That’s my measure.
I’m with JFman on this. Failed state my be over egging it, but it is certainly a failure of government that we find ourselves in. I would argue that the circumstances are not that exceptional, not to country that would/should anticipate that geo political circumstances in countries that have a lot of energy can change rapidly. A country that outsources it’s energy needs is always on thin ice.

We as a nation have an abundance of energy reserves. We should look to releasing them in the coming decades.