Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 14-12-2021, 10:56   #976
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

It would be so much easier if people were just nice but the world has massive numbers of horrid nasty (insert word of choice) so the vulnerable have to be protected

Most members here are not in that category and grew up in different times. Millennials however are caught in a Social Media trap where it becomes a very real addiction. They sit on their devices trying to "make an impact" and they thrive on likes in a very real way. Dopamine is released the very same neurotransmitter that causes addiction with gambling and alcohol. So when it all turns negative they literally go cold turkey and this leads to depression and sometimes sadly suicide. So something has to be done

It is very easy to sit in your* ivory towers and think there is not a problem. But you* are very very wrong

*not aimed at any individual
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-12-2021, 11:03   #977
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
It would be so much easier if people were just nice but the world has massive numbers of horrid nasty (insert word of choice) so the vulnerable have to be protected

Most members here are not in that category and grew up in different times. Millennials however are caught in a Social Media trap where it becomes a very real addiction. They sit on their devices trying to "make an impact" and they thrive on likes in a very real way. Dopamine is released the very same neurotransmitter that causes addiction with gambling and alcohol. So when it all turns negative they literally go cold turkey and this leads to depression and sometimes sadly suicide. So something has to be done

It is very easy to sit in your* ivory towers and think there is not a problem. But you* are very very wrong

I don’t think it’s even that.

I say it’s a case of too many people thinking that just because they have an opinion about something they also have the right for it to be heard.

If we could only cure the human race of that fallacy the world would be a better place.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 11:16   #978
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

It also has to be remembered that this is a UK law and applies only to UK firms or firms with UK asssets and/or UK based individuals.

Most are not, nor are based in other regions where the UK has any leverage. Such is the nature of the internet.
Old 14-12-2021, 11:34   #979
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I say it’s a case of too many people thinking that just because they have an opinion about something they also have the right for it to be heard.
In one sense I agree Russ, but then again isn't that what 'free speech' encompasses?

Look at all the comments on this forum about Boris for example, just peoples opinion of him, but some of them may (in future) be classed as abusive and illegal . . . and how long before the Telegraph cartoonists get a knock on the door?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 11:46   #980
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
In one sense I agree Russ, but then again isn't that what 'free speech' encompasses?
I don’t believe in “free speech” purely because people WILL try to take advantage. Too many think it’s the right to say what they want without repercussions.

For example, Boris. He’s a known liar. I am free to say that as it’s been proven countless times and has even been sacked for it (hopefully one more time).

If I wanted to I am also free to express that “I want him killed” but that would rightly get me in trouble with the Law.

For the absence of doubt (and worthless busybodies) that was just a hypothetical example and I do NOT want him killed by anyone and I neither do I wish any harm on him.

Vote #AnyoneButTory

Last edited by Russ; 14-12-2021 at 12:05.
Old 14-12-2021, 12:06   #981
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
I wonder just how they are going to make that work?

Will ISP's have to employ an army of people who's role and responsibility is to do nothing but trawl the internet looking for breaches of the 'new' rules?

It can't be even more algorithms thrown into computer programs that constantly scan web pages, because they just spot words and phrases, not intent or subtle innuendo.

No, it will still be people 'reporting' posts where they believe something now 'illegal' has been written, therefore a 'crime' has been committed hasn't it.
I’m going to assume you actually mean hosting providers rather than ISP’s. I can’t see many T1 providers agreeing to do that. Especially as in many cases it would require SSL decryption.
Old 14-12-2021, 12:14   #982
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I’m going to assume you actually mean hosting providers rather than ISP’s. I can’t see many T1 providers agreeing to do that. Especially as in many cases it would require SSL decryption.
No idea mate, I just took 'ISP' from the post by Richard.
You probably know more about the difficulties and pitfalls than I do
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 12:21   #983
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
No idea mate, I just took 'ISP' from the post by Richard.
You probably know more about the difficulties and pitfalls than I do

SSL decryption itself is a doddle to implement at a business level mitm certificate on each device. Then something like netskope agent it can be somebody also on Palo Alto Firewalls
Old 14-12-2021, 12:41   #984
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I also don't like the fact that 'free speech' has become the right to say anything offensive to anybody particularly from behind a keyboard.
We can agree on that, to go out and to purposefully offend someone is not very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
In addition, they believe that ISP's should be made more responsible for online harm prevention too.
That's a bit like holding the Post Office accountable for the content of peoples letters.
Old 14-12-2021, 15:31   #985
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
That's a bit like holding the Post Office accountable for the content of peoples letters.
Old 14-12-2021, 15:53   #986
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post

What an excellent post- thank you. If more people took heed and were kind, understanding, empathetic and helpful, countless lives would become better for people all over the world. Instead, all too often, you get the attitude of 'Your disability is no excuse'! How attitudes would change should they or their loved one's suffer the same fate as others. It's likely to happen too, as the majority of people will become disabled due to attack, disease, accident or old age.

I was disappointed to see that I have again been criticised for the way that I have posted something, despite it being known that I have cognitive issues following a brain injury.

I wonder if a person with dementia would be criticised for repeatedly not remembering something or someone with a stutter mocked for the way that they interact?

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
It also has to be remembered that this is a UK law and applies only to UK firms or firms with UK asssets and/or UK based individuals.

Most are not, nor are based in other regions where the UK has any leverage. Such is the nature of the internet.
I've no idea how Ofcom will deal with this, but to allow websites to flout the law via this method makes a mockery of the whole thing.

I am part of an advisory group and our submission to Ofcom did include examples of online bullying/harassment of disabled people on a site based outside the UK were included. We were told that details about this would be provided in due course.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 15:59   #987
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
What an excellent post- thank you. If more people took heed and were kind, understanding, empathetic and helpful, countless lives would become better for people all over the world. Instead, all too often, you get the attitude of 'Your disability is no excuse'! How attitudes would change should they or their loved one's suffer the same fate as others. It's likely to happen too, as the majority of people will become disabled due to attack, disease, accident or old age.

I was disappointed to see that I have again been criticised for the way that I have posted something, despite it being known that I have cognitive issues following a brain injury.

I wonder if a person with dementia would be criticised for repeatedly not remembering something or someone with a stutter mocked for the way that they interact?

There are carers of those with dementia who may get incredibly frustrated and when they’re not with the person may criticise them. Is that right ? Probably not. Is it understandable ? Absolutely so. Patience is not an infinite resource and at times it will get stretched or torn. We are after all imperfect by nature
Old 14-12-2021, 16:10   #988
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

I've no idea how Ofcom will deal with this, but to allow websites to flout the law via this method makes a mockery of the whole thing.

I am part of an advisory group and our submission to Ofcom did include examples of online bullying/harassment of disabled people on a site based outside the UK were included. We were told that details about this would be provided in due course.
Joe Biden comes to mind.
Old 14-12-2021, 16:29   #989
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:

How many times have you had a go at people who work in overseas call centres? You call them all names under the sun on these forums. The reasons you get called out on for what you post is because of the hypocrisy in your posts.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 16:31   #990
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
How many times have you had a go at people who work in overseas call centres? You call them all names under the sun on these forums. The reasons you get called out on for what you post is because of the hypocrisy in your posts.

Vote #AnyoneButTory