Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Police to get tough on internet trolls.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Old 08-12-2017, 18:55   #226
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Are you really saying that the use of a flamethrower is a tool that anyone should be able to use?

What planet are you on????
yes we all have one in the shed don't we lol that's how much of a passing comment it was. seems land mines and blowing caravans up seems acceptable though. Even the police officer said it was an over-reaction but we are in times when people find things sensitive and they have to act on any comment that might offend that person.

Can you imagine the comments just seen on here alone sometimes. society is turning soft it's getting to the point it's best just to not say anything about anything.

"what planet are you on???" well I could find that insulting?

Last edited by Gavin78; 08-12-2017 at 19:04.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2017, 19:47   #227
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
yes we all have one in the shed don't we lol that's how much of a passing comment it was. seems land mines and blowing caravans up seems acceptable though. Even the police officer said it was an over-reaction but we are in times when people find things sensitive and they have to act on any comment that might offend that person.

Can you imagine the comments just seen on here alone sometimes. society is turning soft it's getting to the point it's best just to not say anything about anything.

"what planet are you on???" well I could find that insulting?
Sounds a bit alienist to me.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:46   #228
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Sounds a bit alienist to me.
Yes, aliens everywhere will be up in arms...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 15:06   #229
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
I got pulled in to have a chat with the police over a facebook comment about travellers, it had been reported a couple of times in the local paper about travellers coming back to the same site in a short period of time.

Despite comments like "do what the french do" and "put landmines down" it seems my comment with chase them off with a flame thrower didn't go down so well with a "traveller charity" who reported my comment to the police.

Who actually acted on it and pulled me in for an interview about it. gave me a telling off and said I could go and mind what I say infuture as they register me on the local database.

Seems the other comments he had a copy of didn't matter "2 wrongs don't make a right" he said.

I just said right seen as you've wasted my time I'll report every comment I find offensive and expect you to act on it.
I was (informally) talking to a police officer yesterday and he said that the police are increasingly using the 1997 Harrassment Act where people repeatedly upset people on the internet. To use this at least two incidents need to have occurred though.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 20:16   #230
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I was (informally) talking to a police officer yesterday and he said that the police are increasingly using the 1997 Harrassment Act where people repeatedly upset people on the internet. To use this at least two incidents need to have occurred though.
Really? shame he didn't look into that when he read me the riot act as it was one incident.

unless that's for getting charged I just had a talking to
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 21:47   #231
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

From what he said if someone contacts somebody, be it on the internet, phone, by letter etc and they are asked not to contact the person again, if they then go on to do so (the second time), it becomes a harrassment offence, I think that's the reasoning behind it.

So, if you've only contacted them the once, it cannot be harrassment as prior to this you hadn't contacted them, so they wouldn't have had the opportunity to say that your 'attention wasn't wanted'!

He also said that some people think that they can get round this by not naming the person directly, but if any reasonably thinking person would know who was being referred to, it's classed as having addressed that person directly.

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
More BS from overpaid idiots.

This pretty sums up this nonsense ;

Suggesting ?

Right, so its not at all SEXIST to exclude men
A think tank says that the way that men are often portrayed as foolish bumbling idiots by writers eg they don't know how to wash clothes properly, cook etc should be classed as sex discrimination:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/s...tten-l9jhdj2tw

On the one hand female stereotypes are no longer tolerated, but men seem to be fair game. On the other hand most humour is at someone else's expense and laughter is what makes the world go round...

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 11-12-2017 at 21:40.
Old 13-12-2017, 16:30   #232
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Just to add to the above, the tongue in cheek remarks about 'man flu' that women make have turned out to be scientifically false as men do suffer more:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a8105006.html

Is this sexism or a bit of harmless leg pulling?
Old 13-12-2017, 18:22   #233
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Just to add to the above, the tongue in cheek remarks about 'man flu' that women make have turned out to be scientifically false as men do suffer more:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a8105006.html

Is this sexism or a bit of harmless leg pulling?
i'm not that bothered as long as my dinner is on the table when i get home she can be as sexist as she wants .
Old 19-12-2017, 23:40   #234
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

MP's speak to websites who are failing to take down innapropriate content:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...wn-hate-speech
Old 22-02-2018, 15:13   #235
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Right, because no one will find out the password, or hack the site, or distribute it once they have a copy.

More typical tech cluelessness from those making these decisions.

(and really, there are tons of apps that can take screenshots and recordings already).
Member of the House of Lords, digital activist, director of Twitter and founder of lastminute.com Martha Lane Fox agrees with you.

She wants to 'sort out the internet' by appointing an Ombudsman to ensure that standards are upheld and be a regulator that people can turn to when things go wrong. Not sure if this would be to replace the Internet Commissioner or not.

She is 'one of the UK's leading tech entrepreneurs' and one of the most influential voices in the sector and part of a think tank upon how the internet should be governed and made more accountable to society.

She recently interviewed 2,500 (including myself) for their thoughts about the internet and her report has now been published.

Interestingly, over 90% of people said they used the internet every day and over 50% think that the internet benefits them personally. However, only 12% think that the internet benefits society at a macro level.

With regards to your point about decision makers being out of touch, she said that it's hard for people (and the people that influence them) who are making laws to have had the same experience of the internet as the public and that they need to have a high level of digital understanding. The Government must take steps to ensure that itself, it's employees and the public must begin to understand the internet (at a more macro level).

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 22-02-2018 at 15:16.
Old 22-02-2018, 17:37   #236
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I presume the snowflakes also need to be taught how to use the ignore button as well or they must be looked after by the nanny state.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 18:24   #237
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I presume the snowflakes also need to be taught how to use the ignore button as well or they must be looked after by the nanny state.
Don't forget the broflakes who get upset by people being upset...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 04:36   #238
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

The Home Office is to fund a campaign by Changing Faces to encourage those with a disfigurement, loss of hair, scars etc to report any harassment, abuse or bullying as a hate crime.

A hate crime is defined as such by the person on the receiving end:

https://www.changingfaces.org.uk/lau...disfigurements
Old 19-04-2018, 08:26   #239
RizzyKing

Another thing I'll be ignoring I'm not reporting people because they comment on my scars even when it's negative commentary i just think this is all going a bit far especially when people get their homes burgled and there are no police resources to investigate yet hate crime\speech units are popping up everywhere.
Old 19-04-2018, 09:10   #240
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

That's cause like motorists it's easy pickings, unlike rather more serious and dare I say it (proper) crimes. Does seem a bit crap though when your real crime is going out of control, like where Londonistan has now overtaken NY in murders.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote