Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

[GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Old 18-11-2010, 23:56   #211
chambohambo
cf.addict

chambohambo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Latest version

17-11-10-r15747

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/
chambohambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-11-2010, 17:55   #212
richardford1976
Inactive

Services: 50mb XXL Broadband, V+ Box, Telephone line with talk24
richardford1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if this will work with the D4 revision at all. need to be able to configure access lists so kids dont get square eyes. Thanks in advance.
richardford1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 09:55   #213
mjpartyboy
Inactive

mjpartyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Another build is out: 15778.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardford1976 View Post
Does anyone know if this will work with the D4 revision at all.
Although the D4 isn't listed in the DD-WRT Router Database, I'm sure I've seen threads in their forum where users have had success installing it.
mjpartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 11:57   #214
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I got it installed on the new D4 models but

1)Belkin G bridge didn't connect at all, my laptop A/B/G did fine.
2)Power levels with DD-WRT went all over the place (using InSSIDer), speed very slow. I get around 20-25Mb on the stock VM or DLink firnware and 2Mb on DD-WRT.

(The neighbour's Sky supplied NetGear has higher signal strength, even if I'm in the same room as the DLink.)

Gone to the DLink 4.11 now.
Old 27-11-2010, 21:50   #215
grabbi
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP, 42", DVD Rec, Xbox, PS2, 360, FreeSat.
grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of

Been looking in here for some time now, as I've just got the D-Link router from VM.

Just wondering if there are any major improvements by upgrading the FW from 1.00VG to whatever is recommended in here? Mainly, the router isn't used for technical stuff, however opening ports might be something I'll have to do, given my Call of Duty: Black Ops game on the Xbox keeps saying it has a Moderate NAT. Apart from online gaming on two consoles simultaneously, there are two and sometimes three laptops that share the connection for general internet use.

Cheers guys and gals!
grabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 08:58   #216
mjpartyboy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabbi View Post
the router isn't used for technical stuff, however opening ports might be something I'll have to do, given my Call of Duty: Black Ops game on the Xbox keeps saying it has a Moderate NAT. Apart from online gaming on two consoles simultaneously
Some firmware can't handle the same ports being used for multiple devices, e.g. two 360s connected to Live at the same time, in which case one will have an open NAT and the other will be strict or moderate. This is assuming auto IP allocation and UPnP are enabled. Port forwarding won't work in this situation because you can only manually open the ports to one device at a time.

With DD-WRT I have set up two static leases for my 360s and then make use of the firmware's UPnP feature. One 360 gets access to the actual ports and the other gets access to different ports that somehow map to Live allowing me to get an open NAT on both 360s at the same time. I can't remember the technical details of how this works though.

This article might help further:

http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co....net-connection
Old 02-12-2010, 05:14   #217
grabbi
Inactive

grabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud ofgrabbi has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpartyboy View Post
Some firmware can't handle the same ports being used for multiple devices, e.g. two 360s connected to Live at the same time, in which case one will have an open NAT and the other will be strict or moderate. This is assuming auto IP allocation and UPnP are enabled. Port forwarding won't work in this situation because you can only manually open the ports to one device at a time.

With DD-WRT I have set up two static leases for my 360s and then make use of the firmware's UPnP feature. One 360 gets access to the actual ports and the other gets access to different ports that somehow map to Live allowing me to get an open NAT on both 360s at the same time. I can't remember the technical details of how this works though.

This article might help further:

http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co....net-connection
That really is a fantastic reply. I've always suffered a Moderate NAT on one console if both are in a game, however recently, we've only been using one console, and the other has just gathered dust.

Currently, my problem is that Xbox Live has an Open NAT, but Black Ops shows as Moderate. Treyarch are blaming the ISP for this. The router has all the correct ports open and uPnP set.

I would like to have both consoles set to Open when we DO play online, so giving this a whirl might be worth it after all.
Old 28-12-2010, 13:15   #218
mjpartyboy
Inactive

I found another article that talks about multiple 360s, NAT and DD-WRT:

http://jakebillo.com/two-xboxes-one-...-wrt-or-tomato

This was the one I wanted to link to in my previous post, but I couldn't find it at the time.

Also, we're up to build 15962 (24/12/2010) as of this post.
Old 09-02-2011, 22:46   #219
grabbi
Inactive

Hello again MJ. Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it.

About to upgrade to a new firmware to get as similar to you as possible. If you're having good experiences, then I'm thinking you're the perfect candidate to base my network off.

Also trying to get Football Manager 2011 to work with port forwarding, rather than using Hamachi. Also slightly concerned that FM is hogging a lot of my broadband, which it really shouldn't be doing, given the amount of information being sent isn't huge, nor is it bandwidth-consuming like, say, a torrent.
Old 10-02-2011, 00:50   #220
grabbi
Inactive

Upgraded to the latest DD-WRT firmware. Set up all passwords and all the vital stuff. Now looking to set static IP's for the devices available at home. I've set the port forwarding for Football Manager so far. I've set two static IP's so far as I troll through everything to find the MAC addresses. It's good to see this firmware allows us to have Static IP's without setting the product to the same IP. VERY useful.
Old 19-02-2011, 19:52   #221
chambohambo
cf.addict

Latest version

17-02-11-r16214

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSla...4-preSP2/2011/

Old versions

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSla...4-preSP2/2010/
Old 21-02-2011, 02:13   #222
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Ive been running 15962 for a few weeks with no issues. I notice from the above a newer version is out, so may give that a run.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 16:07   #223
TheCrow
Inactive

Services: NTL BB 2mb NTL Phone NTL Family Pack TV
TheCrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to TheCrow Send a message via Yahoo to TheCrow

Has anyone tried this router with dual wan scripts?

I have both a virgin and bt connection and would love to combine the two for torrents, etc.
TheCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 10:59   #224
chambohambo
cf.addict

Latest version

17-03-11-r16454

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSla...-17-11-r16454/
Old 22-03-2011, 15:54   #225
Ciaran
Inactive

Ciaran is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Last night I flashed my router to this software, when I was using the DLink firmware I was getting wireless transfer speeds pc to pc of almost 100Mbit / sec
Since I have flashed this firmware, I am only getting the following
Rate 54 Mb/s
I have set the Wireless Network Mode to N Only
MIMO - Transmission Fixed Rate is Auto
Transmission Fixed Rate is also Auto
Is there anyway to get my wireless speeds back or am I now set at 54Mb/sec?
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote