Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VPN Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

VPN Router

Old 09-03-2023, 12:08   #1
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them
VPN Router

I am having my fibre broadband, YouFibre, installed next month and I want to put my Nord VPN on the router rather the individual devices. The router that Youfibre provide is a Eero Pro 6 which understand supports VPN pass through.

I am retired (getting on a bit) and this is something I have no expirence or real knowledge of so any pointers\advice will be gratefully recived.

My understanding is that the Eero Pro 6 could be put into VPN passthrough mode and I would have to have another device in front of the Eero Pro 6 router and this is where the vpn will reside, is this correct?

Is it possible to buy a different single device that will be both my router and the host for my VPN ?

If the above is not possible what device can I buy to host my VPN?

My current router is a Virgin router and I will return that when I move Youfibre
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2023, 20:26   #2
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice
Re: VPN Router

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
I am having my fibre broadband, YouFibre, installed next month and I want to put my Nord VPN on the router rather the individual devices. The router that Youfibre provide is a Eero Pro 6 which understand supports VPN pass through.

I am retired (getting on a bit) and this is something I have no expirence or real knowledge of so any pointers\advice will be gratefully recived.

My understanding is that the Eero Pro 6 could be put into VPN passthrough mode and I would have to have another device in front of the Eero Pro 6 router and this is where the vpn will reside, is this correct?

Is it possible to buy a different single device that will be both my router and the host for my VPN ?

If the above is not possible what device can I buy to host my VPN?

My current router is a Virgin router and I will return that when I move Youfibre
I believe you can use your own router but you won't get tech support to set it up or if it goes wrong.

I have an Asus router and it has VPN support. That means I can have VPN servers that I can connect to my LAN away from home and VPN clients setup on the router to point different devices to different locations around the world.

From their website:
"Connect your Gateway eero device to your modem using the Ethernet cable that came in the box. You can use either of the Ethernet ports on the back of your eero.
Plug your Gateway eero device into an available power outlet, then reconnect your modem to power. Your eero device’s status light will start flashing white. For placement tips, including DO's and DON'Ts, visit HERE"

Sounds like you could probably just plug a different router into the ONT, there's no extra config details.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 21:11   #3
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them

Thanks for the reply and advice

My plan was to use the router supplied by YouFibre and ensure that everything is working fine. Once everything is working I would purchase my own router, probably an ASUS, and then load Nord Vpn on it and attempt to get the router working with YouFibre, if I get stuck
I can alway disconnect the ASUS and go back to the YouFibre router until I find out what I need to do.

I have read through the Nord site and it seems simple enough, famous last words however, I don’t think I can do much harm as I always have the YouFibre router to fall back on.

I need to ensure the router I purchase is compatible with Nord, I have used Nord for many years, and make sure the router I select is a good reliable performer, any pointers on such a router would be gratefully received.

These are the Asus routers recommended by Nord

Asus: RT-AX86U, RT-AX88U (AX6000), RT-AC5300

I’m not a gamer

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

https://support.nordvpn.com/Connecti...re-AsusWRT.htm

Last edited by Peter729; 09-03-2023 at 21:17. Reason: Link
Old 11-03-2023, 17:06   #4
Peter729
cf.addict

Going to use a GL.iNet GL-AX1800 Wireless Router 1800Mbps Wifi 6 Router Dual Band Wifi Router for my VPN and run it in series behind the Eero Pro 6 which has pass through. Lots of nice features in the GL-AX1800 which make it a good VPN Router.

Last edited by Peter729; 11-03-2023 at 17:12.