Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

[GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Old 17-12-2011, 03:04   #256
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Im still running 16454, not had any issues with it, so stuck with it.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-12-2011, 05:52   #257
mangra
Inactive

mangra is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya people.

I'm new to this forum and I am having problems.

I've upgraded my DIR-615 to DD-WRTv24-sp2.

I had a Virgin Media router which was giving me a bit of a headache and I decided to upgrade.

As the router had its Virgin Media firmware and there wasn't anything available at D-Link, I decided to use the DD-WRT.

Now I have no router. It doesn't work anymore. The router is accessible via 192.168.1.1 but I have no internet connection whatsoever.

Then I downloaded the original Virgin Media firmiware and tried to downgrade it and I get a message saying "Upgrade failed".

I am terrible with network settings and I believe the problem is with the missing settings from the router setup. My understanding of the new firmware is very basic and I tried everything I could.

Do you guys have a step-by-step tutorial, with all the router screens? So I could fill the fields on this router and get it working?

Note that my ISP is Virgin Media and I haven't a clue where to start.

Thanks.
mangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 02:07   #258
inneedofhelp
Inactive

inneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enough

Reboot the cable modem (unplug, leave for 30 seconds, then plug in again). When all the modem lights are lit (if they don't after about 5 minutes you'll need to call Virgin) reboot the router (same way). If that doesn't get you internet access, you need to connect the router via an Ethernet cable so you can sort out the settings. Write back to let us know one way or the other.
inneedofhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 08:50   #259
mangra
Inactive

mangra is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by inneedofhelp View Post
Reboot the cable modem (unplug, leave for 30 seconds, then plug in again). When all the modem lights are lit (if they don't after about 5 minutes you'll need to call Virgin) reboot the router (same way). If that doesn't get you internet access, you need to connect the router via an Ethernet cable so you can sort out the settings. Write back to let us know one way or the other.
Thanks for the reply, mate.

I already tried that with no success (rebooting both devices).

I am stuck at the router settings as all those fields are beyound my knowledge of networking.

Would you like print screens of every page?

Thanks again!
mangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 01:57   #260
inneedofhelp
Inactive

inneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enoughinneedofhelp will become famous soon enough

Have you plugged an ethernet cable into the PC and router (making sure the input from the cable modem and the output to the PC are the right way round) and then rebooted first the modem and then the router? If so, it shouldn't need any settings except the username and password to access the router interface. If it works with a cable, then we can sort out the wireless settings.
inneedofhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 15:29   #261
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

few issues with the new builds for the 615, be wary of what you put on!

17990 (12/09/11) seems ok stick with it for the latest

the 3 built after that have issues: (thanks to Vaako on DD-WRT)

Quote:
(12-12-11-r18000) - Works but it seems WAN to LAN is slower than previous builds
(12-14-11-r18007) - No Internet on DIR-615 D1 & D3
(12-20-11-r18024) - No Lan Ports and Semi-Bricked
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 13:47   #262
Retrovertigo
Inactive

Retrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really nice

Just received a d-link this morning and am not so keen so far. What does the original d-link firmware have as an advantage over the Virgin firmware (in fact why do Virgin do that and stick their own firmware on?) if I find this custom firmware too daunting? Thanks.
Retrovertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 13:54   #263
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrovertigo View Post
Just received a d-link this morning and am not so keen so far. What does the original d-link firmware have as an advantage over the Virgin firmware (in fact why do Virgin do that and stick their own firmware on?) if I find this custom firmware too daunting? Thanks.
VM does not stick its own firmware on the D Link 615. You have D-Links firmware on it. This thread regarding DD-WRT that can be loaded onto the router is more enhanced.

Access your D-Links settings via 192.168.0.1 < put that into your web browser address bar and setting up wireless security etc.
Old 17-01-2012, 14:02   #264
Retrovertigo
Inactive

Retrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really niceRetrovertigo is just really nice

Oh right...I'm sure I saw a post earlier in this thread where someone wanted to flash back to stock but were told they could only put d-link firmware on it as the virgin firmware image wasn't available?
Old 17-01-2012, 14:06   #265
thenry
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrovertigo View Post
Oh right...I'm sure I saw a post earlier in this thread where someone wanted to flash back to stock but were told they could only put d-link firmware on it as the virgin firmware image wasn't available?
you've read too much into that comment. VM does not supply firmware for the stand alone routers they provide. Their all able to run alongside VMs equipment using the manufactures firmware.

DSL - Routers < Virgin Media
ADSL - Routers < BT

You can switch back to D Links firmware if you don't like DD WRT but I highly reccomend you do a little home work before considering loading DD WRT if you no little about routers, DD WRT etc.
Old 17-01-2012, 14:12   #266
Retrovertigo
Inactive

One last question please above you mention sticking to build 17990, but when going to the site to make sure I get the right firmware (my D-Link is a D4 version) t says the build is 15778 - so slightly confused as to how build numbers work as that is a lot lower.

I can't see anyway to choose different builds (the drop down box doesn't contain anything else)
Old 17-01-2012, 14:19   #267
thenry
Inactive

please make sure you know what your doing with regards to DD WRT or don't bother and use D Links original firmware.. not sure whether D Link have an update available check on their support site.

Peter, in your router replacement thread has posted instructions on how to set up the D Link using its factory firmware.

Regarding DD WRT firmware, the latest stable release for the D4 is > ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSla...dlink-dir615d/
Old 17-01-2012, 14:24   #268
Retrovertigo
Inactive

Don't worry, I'm more than confident of updating the firmware. I just want to make sure I get the best build on there as people are saying there are issues with certain builds.

But via the database on their site, it links to build 15778 which suggests a lot lower build than 17990. If you don't want to explain how I get to other build versions that's fine, I'll look elsewhere edit - sorry noticed the link above. I mistook it for a sig initially as it was below the black line But why isn't that available on the website and instead it links to a build which sounds much older?

I've flashed many various items in the past including the early days of the PS3 and all the rigmarole that involved. I can do this easily, I just want to make sure I flash a working version with no current issues.

Thanks for your time.
Old 17-01-2012, 14:31   #269
thenry
Inactive

i don't know, use the link above to obtain latest firmwares. i have it running on my 615 d4, i haven't bothered trying firmwares released after the 17990, can't be bothered with the hassle.
Old 20-01-2012, 10:30   #270
Retrovertigo
Inactive

Has anyone got any tips for power levels on the D-Link 615? Just got this all set up (many thanks for the sticky guide) and straightaway I'm seeing a much weaker wi-fi signal than the netgear I had.

I had a quick dabble taking the TX power to 90 odd after reading that mentioned elsewhere but didn't see any improvement so have gone back to default of 71.

I'm aware there are a ton of things I shouldn't mess with - but range needs improving. My only other option is a parabolic reflector. Thanks