Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

[GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Old 07-07-2010, 11:59   #106
simporis
Inactive

simporis is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean I should go into ipconfig and enter the ip address I find there to get to my router settings or set it as my static IP?
Sorry if thats a stupid question, but im having to teach myself IT through forums and tutorials
simporis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2010, 14:17   #107
royaltiger
Inactive

Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light

Can you actually display your routers home page this is what opens it. http://192.168.1.1/. You then log into your router with username and password. Click on the setup tab at the top of page which then opens up into Basic setup. On this page is displayed your Network Setup and also Network Address Server Settings (DHCP).
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 17:15   #108
simporis
Inactive

No I cant. I can get to the emergency room after a 30/30/30 reset, and I can apparently succesfully upload the factory.bin, but then every time I try and display the routers homepage i get 'IE cannot display this page'

---------- Post added at 15:49 ---------- Previous post was at 15:40 ----------

Maybe I'm doing this completely wrong. I'm trying to upload the factory.bin onto a router straight from virgin, and it sounds like that .bin is for uploading to a device that already has ddwrt on it?

---------- Post added at 15:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

I'm also setting the static IP in (TCP/IPv4) and leaving (TCP/IPv6) alone.

---------- Post added at 16:15 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

Ok, now i've really confused myself.
I ran IPconfig, and it said my ipv4 is 192.168.2.3, so I went into the belkin wifi router I always use and set it to 192.168.1.1
That then changed my ipv4 to 192.168.1.2 but apparently i cant have the same ip on 2 connections, so i changed the LAN to automatic.
Nothing worked.
Basically, what i'm asking is should I be connected ONLY to the device im flashing, or do I need to stay connected to the internet through the belkin?
I hope I haven't confused you as much as I have confused myself!
Old 07-07-2010, 17:19   #109
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

Did you actually follow my guide on Post 1 and use the files that I attached?
You flash factory then webflash.

If you can get to emergency room then you should be able to flash the factory firmware - Do you get IMAGE UPLOAD SUCCESS? Leave the router till it reboots.

You should then be able to connect to the default dd-wrt page (The default IP for a new flash is 192.168.1.1) - you have to ensure you give your PC a static IP of 192.168.1.2 (as on post 1).

You don't need to worry about IPv6.

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

Only connect to the device you are flashing.
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 17:43   #110
simporis
Inactive

I've done it!
here's what i was doing wrong.
I had to disconnect from the wifi network i usually use, then click 'connect to a network'. i found an unsecured network called 'dd-wrt'.
I connected to this network and changed the IP to 192.168.2.1, the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, the default gateway to 192.168.1.1 and the DNS to 192.168.1.1
I could then log in to the router home page on 192.168.1.1! hoorah! now I have to just figure out how to set it up as a repeater bridge :/
so im sure i'll be screwing around with this for another 6 hours! (just think, if i'd have just worked for this amount of time i could have bought 2 bloody bridges by now! sometimes I amaze myself with my false economic stupidity!)

Sorry to the people that tried to help me. But it was never clear that I had to connect to ddwrt wifi network instead of my existing wifi network.Another lesson in the facinating, time consuming an often irritating world of IT! thank you for writing this guide though. If you have a link to a good tutorial on how to now set this ddwrt router up as a repeater bridge that would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-07-2010, 17:50   #111
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

Word of warning - you should really never flash over wifi

As for a repeater bridge, these are my settings:

Setup / Basic Setup:
Connection Type: disabled
Local IP Address: 192.168.2.201
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.2.1
Local DNS: 192.168.2.1

Setup / Advanced Routing:
Operating Mode: Router

Wireless / Basic Settings:
Wireless Mode: Repeater Bridge
Wireless Network Mode: <as per your wifi>
Wireless Network Name (SSID): <as per your wifi>
Wireless Channel: <as per your wifi>
Channel Width: <as per your wifi>
Wireless SSID Broadcast: Enabled
Network Configuration: Bridged

Wireless / Wireless Security: <as per your wifi>

Services:
DNSMasq: Disabled

Security:
Untick Block Anonymous WAN Requests (ping) and Filter IDENT (Port 113) then - SPI Firewall: Disabled

That *should* be the minimum of what you need to do. Obviously your IP settings will differ depending on your setup.
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 22:20   #112
simporis
Inactive

Thanks. how do I then get the ddrw router to talk to the belkin router? I assume I connect to the ddrw network?

---------- Post added at 20:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

Thanks for giving me those settings. I've entered them and i'm not sure what i need to do now to get the bridge up and running. I can still happily connect to the original wifi network, and the ddwrt network has dissapeared in the 'connect to a network' window, which suggests to me that the 2 networks have 'merged'. The front of my ddwrt router has green power light and green wifi light, but the internet light (a little earth shaped light) is dark.
Does this mean that the bridge is working invisibly?
Also, how do i set some security on it, as i do a bit of internet banking? I still have 64bit WEP on the primary belkin router

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:34 ----------

hmm... now i'm thinking i've made this more complicated than it needs to be. internet seems to be a little faster after doing this (might just be wishfull thinking though) but i just tried wiring my xbox 360 to the ddwrt router, and it couldnt find a connection. what i would really like is for my laptop to connect to the ddwrt over wifi and connect my xbox 360 to ddwrt wired. but I would be happy, if it were simpler and better, to connect both the laptop and xbox wired to the ddwrt router. I' thinking that i dont actually want a repeater bridge in this case, but just a simple client bridge? (or have I completely fabricated that from my imagination?)
Old 08-07-2010, 10:30   #113
mjpartyboy
Inactive

mjpartyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Build 14684 was released a couple of days ago. I haven't installed it yet, but it's getting a mixed response on the DD-WRT forums.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/o...ink-dir615d%2F
mjpartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 12:24   #114
mjpartyboy
Inactive

I installed build 14684 last night and initially the Wi-Fi connection seemed a bit quicker than 14594. I played some Xbox Live over wireless without any problems before going to bed, so I will use the connection more tonight and see how it goes, as it was late in the day when I did the upgrade. I still had the issue of some links not opening with one click when the laptop was in the same room as the router though.
Old 16-07-2010, 13:39   #115
KILLERDOG
Inactive

KILLERDOG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys, first post here, been reading this forum alot and finally joined up. Anyways, i just noticed that a new version firmware of DD-WRT is out for my D-Link 615 D4 router , its version r14815. Im going to flash my router now with it and i shall report back to tell my results..

---------- Post added at 12:39 ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 ----------

Well ive installed it and my interent seems very stable. Web pages open instantly and my download speed (1.1 mbps) is still good and true. I have not got a wireless device here right now so i cant test the wireless side for you all, but so far so good.
KILLERDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 12:15   #116
mjpartyboy
Inactive

Build 14815

I was just going to post that another new build is out.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/o...ink-dir615d%2F

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSla...dlink-dir615d/

After some further tweaks to the settings, build 14684 is running really well for me at the moment, so I'm going to stick with it.
Old 18-07-2010, 13:03   #117
KILLERDOG
Inactive

Ive tested this for 2 days now, it works great. I am really happy with my internet now and my web pages come up straight away.Wireless works well too, my friends laptop works well too, no drop outs I have to give this firmware 10 out of 10
Old 19-07-2010, 16:32   #118
RainmakerRaw
cf.addict

Services: Gig1
RainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of light

I didn't see any mention of this on a quick scan of the thread; but many will have noticed that upgrading to DD-WRT turns the router's WAN light orange, and the wifi setup button red. To correct this, you can go to Administration > Commands. Paste the following into the box:

Code:
gpio disable 9; gpio enable 8; gpio disable 12; gpio enable 14 ; sleep  15 ; gpio disable 11 ; gpio enable 13
Then hit the 'Run commands' button and wait a moment. VoilĂ*, the lights are fixed.
Old 19-07-2010, 17:54   #119
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

if you guys are saying wireless is better on latest version now then I will flash my sister's tommorow night when I go there.

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

link shows build 14815 this is the wrong one?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 02:29   #120
KILLERDOG
Inactive

Yes, thats right, 14815 is the very latest version that im using on my Dlink 615 hw ver-d4

---------- Post added at 01:29 ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 ----------

Im about to flash a friends router with this firmware. Do i have to flash her router using the FACTORY one first or can i just go straight to the dir615d-revb-ddwrt-webflash one like i did with mine ?