Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless printing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless printing

Old 02-08-2008, 16:34   #1
4romseyavenue
Inactive

4romseyavenue has a spectacular aura about them4romseyavenue has a spectacular aura about them4romseyavenue has a spectacular aura about them4romseyavenue has a spectacular aura about them
Wireless printing

I have a belkin wirelss router connected to an NTL modem.

I use a laptop wirelessly. What I would like to do is have a printer set up in another room and also an external hard drive that I could access from my laptop wirelessly without attaching by cable to the router or laptop.

Is this possible?

If yes, what equipment would I need and and how would I set it up.

You can probably guess I am not an expert.

Any help appreciated.

Regards Bill
4romseyavenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2008, 16:47   #2
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
Re: Wireless printing

Bill if you have a pc thats connected to the printer and router then you can do windows printer sharing, bit annoying to setup but it can be done.

with regards to the external hd you can share that as well but you would have to share the drive.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 17:00   #3
4romseyavenue
Inactive

4romseyavenue has a spectacular aura about them4romseyavenue has a spectacular aura about them4romseyavenue has a spectacular aura about them4romseyavenue has a spectacular aura about them

Hi

I do not really want to connect to the laptop. Is there some way that a wireless signal can be sent from the wireless router to another router or something that can have the printer and hard drive attached?
4romseyavenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 17:35   #4
homealone

You could do it with a NAS unit with a built in print server, such as a Buffalo Linkstation.

- however, as far as I know, you would have to connect it to your wireless router using an ethernet cable.
Old 02-08-2008, 17:38   #5
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

new printers come with wireless IP. Canon do a range at a good price. Alternatively, does your printer have a USB port that supports wireless printing over Bluetooth? mine does. It's handy from the phones, but Printing my photography from over the bluetooth protocol takes ages, thus I just plug mine into the main machine and share it on the network.
Old 02-08-2008, 20:12   #6
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I had a Belkin wireless print router. When it worked it was fine but it often decided to lose it's settings which meant I had to run a 25m CAT5 cable between it and the main router to re-establish all the settings. I eventually put a hammer through it......
Old 02-08-2008, 21:46   #7
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
You could do it with a NAS unit with a built in print server, such as a Buffalo Linkstation.

- however, as far as I know, you would have to connect it to your wireless router using an ethernet cable.
I have a Buffalo LinkStation Live and I do exactly this! A folder on the NAS is shared and accessable by anyone with the correct password, or no password if you wish and I have a USB printer connected to the NAS so all wireless clients can print.
Old 02-08-2008, 21:59   #8
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
I have a Buffalo LinkStation Live and I do exactly this! A folder on the NAS is shared and accessable by anyone with the correct password, or no password if you wish and I have a USB printer connected to the NAS so all wireless clients can print.
Thanks for confirming that
Old 02-08-2008, 23:54   #9
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quite a few printers now are available with either wired or wireless networking.

Even the wired ones can be connected to a wireless router and then printed to from a wireless client.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 00:02   #10
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Quite a few printers now are available with either wired or wireless networking.

Even the wired ones can be connected to a wireless router and then printed to from a wireless client.
True, but the OP wants storage, as well as printing, which is why a NAS with a print server built in should cover both requirements
Old 03-08-2008, 00:11   #11
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
True, but the OP wants storage, as well as printing, which is why a NAS with a print server built in should cover both requirements
True just dont buy a generic NAS believe me its not worth the hastle.

Also While Accessing the NAS over wi-fi will indeed work the speed won't be all that great so it might be worth asking what kind of stuff the OP wants to store on the NAS.

If it's just documents and photos it will be fine but if they are constantly using Large media files or want to run programs over the network then the link between the Laptop and the Nas needs to be a lot faster.

Also the OP didn't specifiy if they had a printer or needed one if it's the latter then one with network printing support isn't always that much more expensive.

I just bought a mono laser printer with network support for £46 (assuming misco accept the order, since their price is about £20 lower than most other online merchants)
Old 03-08-2008, 00:24   #12
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
True just dont buy a generic NAS believe me its not worth the hastle.

Also While Accessing the NAS over wi-fi will indeed work the speed won't be all that great so it might be worth asking what kind of stuff the OP wants to store on the NAS.

If it's just documents and photos it will be fine but if they are constantly using Large media files or want to run programs over the network then the link between the Laptop and the Nas needs to be a lot faster.

Also the OP didn't specifiy if they had a printer or needed one if it's the latter then one with network printing support isn't always that much more expensive.

I just bought a mono laser printer with network support for £46 (assuming misco accept the order, since their price is about £20 lower than most other online merchants)
Yes, I agree, most of the reviews I have read seem to say that speeds using a wireless router connected to a NAS are not brilliant.

If it was only a printing solution which was required, it would be a lot simpler - good luck with getting your order filled
Old 03-08-2008, 00:36   #13
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Yes, I agree, most of the reviews I have read seem to say that speeds using a wireless router connected to a NAS are not brilliant.

If it was only a printing solution which was required, it would be a lot simpler - good luck with getting your order filled
Thanks.

Reason why i said avoid the generic nas is I had one and it was forever locking up. (was a Black "dual hdd nas")

WLan thoughput will prob be in the reigon of 8- 20Mbit/s maybe slightly higher if the PC is right next to the router.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:41   #14
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
I had a Belkin wireless print router. When it worked it was fine but it often decided to lose it's settings which meant I had to run a 25m CAT5 cable between it and the main router to re-establish all the settings. I eventually put a hammer through it......
And they're not compatible with all printers (no mention of this on the box when you buy it - only when you've spent several fraught days trying to get the damn thing to work - and eventually contact Belkin for support).
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:48   #15
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
And they're not compatible with all printers (no mention of this on the box when you buy it - only when you've spent several fraught days trying to get the damn thing to work - and eventually contact Belkin for support).
Heh......and it's even more fun when your main PC is running XP64 and HP don't support 64bit on the printer you are trying to get to work on a wireless network