Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Are speed checks accurate

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Are speed checks accurate

Old 03-03-2023, 23:48   #1
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
Are speed checks accurate

Hi all,

daft question but are speed checks accurate. My speed on speedtest okala can range from 600-400 download within a 5 minute window haha. i find my speed starts at around 700-800 and then drops down. sometimes it only drops down to 500ish but sometimes it'll drop down to 200 and then bounce back up to around 400 in the end. My questions are

1) Surely the speed shouldn't fluctuate that wildly from start to the finish of the test. Going really high and then really low and then back up to midrange all within 30 seconds?

2) I've used another speed back and got 914 download and another one got me to 700 download. its just all seems quite random. like even using the same speed check i can get consistently different results.

Am i over thinking this and it is just normal for results to fluctuate so much or is this a potential problem? i would have thought a speed check would hit 800 to begin with, drop by 20, climb again by 5 and just sort of remain steady rather than going down hundreds and back up hundreds all in the same test before ending on a random figure i could probably never get very close to again.

My internet is fast than ill ever need for my pc im just more curious

yes i am attached to ethernet cable into pc.

My iphone meanwhile just goes from low to high and then doesn't really fluctuate that much and always seems to get scores of around 750-775 whilst my pc as i mention can fluctuate by almost 200+ mbps on final results.

cheers in advance!
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2023, 00:12   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Are speed checks accurate

They give you an idea if there is an issue that is all I take from them
Old 04-03-2023, 11:16   #3
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

The internet is complex, lots of transit providers, peering arrangements, your traffic could go over one of many possible routes to and from the destination.

Also if you testing over wifi, what you reported wouldnt be unusual.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:49   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

There seems to be so many ads on some of them, that that's bound to affect the actual test.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 16:00   #5
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

On the odd occaision when I want to test my speeds I use Cloudflare My techie son bookmarked the link for me and although I don't really understand all the tests it is still interesting seeing it working.
Old 04-03-2023, 16:39   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

One of the best ones I find is the ThinkBroadband.

Its the one linked as the SpeedTest in our navbar menu.

I ran this about 5 minutes ago.

Attached Images
File Type: png Speed.PNG (43.9 KB, 181 views)

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 19:21   #7
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Speed test results aren't just dependent on your network. They are also affected by the device you are measuring speed on.

Speed tests use up PC resources. For example, a speed test will use up processor time. If your processor capacity is pretty low, then a test may max it out. Symptoms include variable speed test results and wildly varying speed during the test.

You can check this out by having your processor performance showing whilst you are running a speed test. If 90% or more of processor resources are being used that will be a likely cause of inconsistent result. You say your mobile results are more consistent. No doubt your mobile is handling the test comfortably.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 01:36   #8
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

thanks all!

Paul i got 367mbps on your test
joglynne i got 859mps on your test hahah.

apart from that some helpful advice and info from you all!
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 11:58   #9
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Try SamKnows Real Speed.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 13:28   #10
Corey N Georgie
cf.addict

Services: 1GB Volt, Telephone all Inclusive.
Corey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the roughCorey N Georgie is a jewel in the rough

To check my speed i always download largest test file from here and it gives me a pretty accurate measurement...

https://speed.hetzner.de
Corey N Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 19:53   #11
humey
cf.member

humey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enough

I was lucky to break 31Mb/s on the above.
humey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 06:02   #12
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey N Georgie View Post
To check my speed i always download largest test file from here and it gives me a pretty accurate measurement...

https://speed.hetzner.de
I got 636Mb instead of my usual 940Mb on that test. I used the 10Gb file.
Old 09-03-2023, 17:50   #13
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

My client been trail on virgin media 1.8gig with 100Meg upload.

telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 18:13   #14
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 20:38   #15
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by telfordcable View Post
My client been trail on virgin media 1.8gig with 100Meg upload.

How can that test result be showing with the test needle still active and the test still running?