Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Price rises this year.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Price rises this year.

Old 26-02-2023, 06:52   #316
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age
Re: Price rises this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
Yep and most of them will have a mindset of "Get big enough to be bought out by one of the big ISP's"

Last year I was offered a job at 3 of them, all of which offered "Shares" etc and a reduced but still decent salary, or I could have a larger salary with no "Shares".

Told all 3 that I wasn't interested, I knew what they were trying to do and I prefer Job Security.
Advertisement
Old 26-02-2023, 09:43   #317
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

What happened to all the small energy companies when they couldn’t sustain their low prices?
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 10:12   #318
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
Yep and most of them will have a mindset of "Get big enough to be bought out by one of the big ISP's"

Last year I was offered a job at 3 of them, all of which offered "Shares" etc and a reduced but still decent salary, or I could have a larger salary with no "Shares".

Told all 3 that I wasn't interested, I knew what they were trying to do and I prefer Job Security.
The Altnets are probably better placed, due to their size, to install the gigbite network and get it up and running, its inevitable that some of them will be taken over. Large companys often become large companies by aquisistion it is going to be intresting to see how the market place develops in the next few years.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 11:09   #319
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Some of the altnets also offer price guarantees to avoid mid-contract price rises. Youfiber are building here and I'll be jumping to them from EE as even with an early termination fee £1 a month for 3 months will more than pay for it, then £29 a month for the rest of the 2 year contract sure beats out the monster price increase EE want to slap on me.
Youfibre are building in my postcode area as well, they look a far better option than VM you can get YouFibre 500 for £27.99 a month fixed for 24 months and that's both upload and download

Virgin's closest would be M350 at £39 a month, giving only 36Mbps upload speed

Last edited by Gavin-D; 26-02-2023 at 11:12.
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 11:58   #320
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I think VM need to update their modelling lest they become like IBM.

Once enough of the country gets competing networks, then ye olde phone/tv/broadband *forced bundles will look increasingly unattractive, even the up/download speeds are clearly possible as everyone else can seem to do it, why not VM

Speaking honestly, how many here wouldn't switch if competition was available to their address?
I'll be the first to hold my hand up, and will act once my options become available.

*forced meaning unfavourable terms if you don't go for a 3 package bundle.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 12:09   #321
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post

Once enough of the country gets competing networks, then ye olde phone/tv/broadband *forced bundles will look increasingly unattractive, even the up/download speeds are clearly possible as everyone else can seem to do it, why not VM

Speaking honestly, how many here wouldn't switch if competition was available to their address?
I'll be the first to hold my hand up, and will act once my options become available.

If Youfibre go active in my area before April 4th I will be seriously considering ditching VM and getting sky stream. If they don't, I'll have to wait until January when my contract ends
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 12:16   #322
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post

The IBM model is a good example, at one time Xerox were domininate players in the photcopying market place, they charged what they wanted. Then one day a ship carrying photocopiers made in Japan arrived in the USA over the next few years Xerox went into freefall.

Its only resonable that people will act in their own intrest.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 21:57   #323
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
Or search around for another provider as you will be subject to an Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation, plus an added 3.9% next year, perhaps you might be able to negotiate a discount and a Zero price increase for the duration of your new contract, worth a try

Bare in mind that any future price increase is based on the list price of your package rather than the discounted price you negotiated.
I have no FTTP competition. Not dropping back to VDSL speeds.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 23:30   #324
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Maybe VM realise they don't have a monopoly on fast speeds any longer. That's why they are desperate to get the punters to sign up for 18 months, even if it means big discounts on the alleged full price. In the long run, their business model/monopoly is in trouble.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 11:40   #325
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I got my price rise email last week. Rang up this morning and have had the amount credited to my account until contract end. So no price rise. All done in less than 10 mins.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 13:32   #326
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I got my price rise email last week. Rang up this morning and have had the amount credited to my account until contract end. So no price rise. All done in less than 10 mins.
That seems common. Pis*es me off that they make you call or you get the price rise - most customers won’t pick up the phone and will get fleeced. Apathy rules
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 13:49   #327
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I just rang them and got my butt kissed for being a customer for 23 years haha

She offered me 100% discount till end of contract next Jan

However she listed the prices and it appears she gave me a £7 discount from today. She told me it is applying to my Feb bill due tomorrow and my March bill on top off the rest of the term. So bonus
Old 28-02-2023, 01:11   #328
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

How long will it take them to inform all customers of their position?

VM are managing to send me spam, broadband tips. and other types of emails during this period.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2023, 06:22   #329
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

VM are managing to send me spam, broadband tips. and other types of emails during this period.
Same here..
Old 28-02-2023, 09:23   #330
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post

Last comms will go out by end of March, and when you get it depends whether the change applies on 1st April or 1st May - it'll tell you when you're informed.