Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Legacy Update

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Add Wi-Fi coverage to workshop

Old 12-02-2023, 23:09   #1
TheFish
cf.member

TheFish is an unknown quantity at this point
Add Wi-Fi coverage to workshop

Hi everyone,

I’ve got a garage / workshop at the bottom of my garden where the Wi-Fi is more or less non existent and doesn’t reach from the house.

This weekend I ran a cat6 cable from my router over there and that works.

What Id like to know is what I need to get Wi-Fi in there so that it is the same Wi-Fi as in the house. I don’t want to have to change Wi-Fi networks.

Or can this not be done?

Is it a wireless access point I need?
And how would I get the houses Wi-Fi on this?

Thankyou.

Last edited by TheFish; 12-02-2023 at 23:15.
TheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2023, 23:24   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Add Wi-Fi coverage to workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFish View Post
Hi everyone,

I’ve got a garage / workshop at the bottom of my garden where the Wi-Fi is more or less non existent and doesn’t reach from the house.

This weekend I ran a cat6 cable from my router over there and that works.

What Id like to know is what I need to get Wi-Fi in there so that it is the same Wi-Fi as in the house. I don’t want to have to change Wi-Fi networks.

Or can this not be done?

Is it a wireless access point I need?
And how would I get the houses Wi-Fi on this?

Thankyou.
You could switch over to a mesh system and allow that to take over your wifi and then backhaul to a node via cable. Or if the mains there you could use homeplug
Old 13-02-2023, 08:54   #3
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

You could use a wireless access point & POE injector with your existing cable that you’ve run then create the same SSID and password.

As above, A mesh wifi setup using your cable as backhaul would be the neatest but not the cheapest solution
Old 13-02-2023, 09:47   #4
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

If you already have Wifi in the house then put a wireless access point connected to the ethernet cable you've pulled through to the workshop.

You can then setup the same SSID (Wireless network name) as your router in the house and make sure you use the same security type and password.

Or you may wish to create a new SSID eg. Workshop-Wifi so you know which one you are on.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote