Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2023)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How to report faulty V6 box?

Old 12-12-2023, 14:34   #1
Dingbat
cf.member

Dingbat has disabled reputation
How to report faulty V6 box?

Had a power cut locally this morning for a few minutes. After it came back on, and once my router had established connection, I checked both of my V6 boxes.

One V6 booted up fine, but the other got stuck on a “Welcome” / “Starting Up” loop and nothing I have tried will get it to go beyond that. I’m guessing that the power cut may have come with a surge which has somehow borked it.

Rang VM on 150. All the agent would say is that there is a network issue affecting my area and will not accept that this one box is now faulty. I apparently have to wait until I get a email to say that the network issue is resolved sometime in the near future, at which point I “may get some compensation “.

Any suggestions on who I can contact for them to at least try to run a diagnostic test to accept that it is actually faulty?

FWIW, the power light occasionally flashes orange and there is a graphic onscreen with a representation of the box with a down arrow.
Dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2023, 15:09   #2
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: How to report faulty V6 box?

Murder to report anything. Haven't time at moment to write about problems I had today
Old 12-12-2023, 17:17   #3
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
That's a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Murder to report anything. Haven't time at moment to write about problems I had today
Don't use your landline to sort a problem , the fix I was given after nearly 40 mins with a great guy. Was reboot the router . It worked can you imagine if that wasn't the answer,helpline needs sorting
Old 12-12-2023, 17:37   #4
Dingbat
cf.member

Tried calling again and spoke to a different agent. She was reluctant at first to accept that the problem was that the V6 box was faulty and that it was definitely not a “network issue”, but relented and tried to run diagnostic tests on the box. Of course those tests failed as it refuses to go beyond the Starting Up screen, so is raising a fault report.

It shouldn’t be so hard to report faults, especially when it is obvious, so why do VM make it difficult?
Old 12-12-2023, 18:24   #5
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I actually think that either the member of staff is reprimanded, or the company is penalised when too many calls are progressed to the next tier of support.
They often seem more intent on ending the call than raising a fault.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 20:36   #6
Dingbat
cf.member

In a former life, I used to manage a call centre for another telecoms company, which included monitoring calls from customers. If I caught anyone fobbing customers off and not progressing their problem, they’d be pulled up about it. Not that it happened much because my team were encouraged to use their own initiative to get problems fixed, there were no scripts to stick to, and the targets were around customer satisfaction.
Old 13-12-2023, 20:34   #7
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbat View Post
Tried calling again and spoke to a different agent. She was reluctant at first to accept that the problem was that the V6 box was faulty and that it was definitely not a “network issue”, but relented and tried to run diagnostic tests on the box. Of course those tests failed as it refuses to go beyond the Starting Up screen, so is raising a fault report.

It shouldn’t be so hard to report faults, especially when it is obvious, so why do VM make it difficult?
Had the same problem with my box, it was the router not sending Wi-Fi don't use this so not noticed
Old 14-12-2023, 14:42   #8
Dingbat
cf.member

I’ll find out on Saturday. It’s taken until today, and my fourth call, for VM to accept the box is faulty and not due to some unspecified network issue.

The fact my other V6 box, my router, and my phone have been working perfectly fine since the power cut seems to have finally convinced them.
Old 14-12-2023, 16:54   #9
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
I’ll find out on Saturday. It’s taken until today, and my fourth call, for VM to accept the box is faulty and not due to some unspecified network issue.

The fact my other V6 box, my router, and my phone have been working perfectly fine since the power cut seems to have finally convinced them.
Mine also worked , as all were hard wired. It was the WiFi that messed up the box
Old 16-12-2023, 18:50   #10
Dingbat
cf.member

Just to wrap this thread up, the hard drive had failed. The tech is sure it was due to the power cut. Now got a replacement V6 box and all is now fine, apart from having to set up all the wife’s series links.
Old 16-12-2023, 19:50   #11
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just to wrap this thread up, the hard drive had failed. The tech is sure it was due to the power cut. Now got a replacement V6 box and all is now fine, apart from having to set up all the wife’s series links.
There is a way to transfer the series links form the old box (even though it has failed) to the new box, however I can't find the website I used when mine failed a few years ago.

EDIT:- I have found this link on the community forum from last year, don't know if it works though. http://manage-virgintvgo.virginmedia.com/tivo/boxswap/
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 21:08   #12
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagnifique View Post
There is a way to transfer the series links form the old box (even though it has failed) to the new box, however I can't find the website I used when mine failed a few years ago.

EDIT:- I have found this link on the community forum from last year, don't know if it works though. http://manage-virgintvgo.virginmedia.com/tivo/boxswap/
I don't think that works anylonger. A long standing fault which have VM have no intention of fixing.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...6/td-p/4964695
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2023, 21:58   #13
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I don't think that works anylonger. A long standing fault which have VM have no intention of fixing.
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...6/td-p/4964695
It was fixed about a year ago.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2023, 17:35   #14
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It was fixed about a year ago.
How does it work surely the engineers should know about this .
Old 17-12-2023, 22:21   #15
Dingbat
cf.member

Tried the fix on that link. The old box was showing as deactivated. It didn’t bring the series links, etc, over to the new box unfortunately.