Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Boosting Speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Boosting Speeds

Old 03-11-2022, 16:28   #61
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone
Re: Virgin Boosting Speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I thought you a Tech guy, post the numbers for downstream and up stream in the config.

M250
Max Traffic Rate 287500061 bps
Max Traffic Rate 27500061 bps
Well there are very many different sorts of tech...

downstream: Max Traffic Rate

Primary Upstream Service Flow: Max Traffic Rate

Which is the same as you have posted, yet I'm getting the same or perhaps slightly more than 206 Mb on the speedtest sites.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2022, 17:01   #62
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

What device are you running Speedtest on?

I get 276 on my PC (wired), 243 on my Android phone (OnePlus 7 Pro), and 205 on my iPad Pro.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 17:12   #63
techguyone
Deus Vult

techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
What device are you running Speedtest on?

I get 276 on my PC (wired), 243 on my Android phone (OnePlus 7 Pro), and 205 on my iPad Pro.
PC ethernet wired from primary mesh unit about 5cm from the hub & mobile phone

I have rebooted all devices again, hub, mesh, pc, phone and re-optimised wi-fi on the mesh.

Ookla is giving me approx. 6 Mb more than before the uplift on d/load, upload is unchanged.
Old 03-11-2022, 18:24   #64
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Talking to a VM sales rep today in my city centre it appears that VM is definitely planning a 2.5GB service. I asked if it would have an upspeed to go with it, e.g. 10:1. He wasn't able to say.

He was trying to sell me VM's current products, but when I told him I was on a nice symmetrical 900Mb with Vodafone/CityFibre, he suggested I watch out for the new product.

I guess VM will be selling it only to those who need high bandwidth on multiple devices simultaneously, given that most people's device network cards and switches max at 1Gb.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 18:55   #65
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
PC ethernet wired from primary mesh unit about 5cm from the hub & mobile phone

I have rebooted all devices again, hub, mesh, pc, phone and re-optimised wi-fi on the mesh.

Ookla is giving me approx. 6 Mb more than before the uplift on d/load, upload is unchanged.
My PC is wired directly into our Hub3 - is it possible for you to connect directly to the Hub?
Old 03-11-2022, 19:28   #66
techguyone
Deus Vult

Quote:
My PC is wired directly into our Hub3 - is it possible for you to connect directly to the Hub?
It is, but then the other 55 or so devices won't have internet access.
Old 03-11-2022, 19:49   #67
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

I meant just for the speed test…

My PC and the Google Mesh primary unit are the only things connected to my Hub - everything else is either wired to the Mesh units or connected through mesh wifi.
Old 03-11-2022, 20:23   #68
techguyone
Deus Vult

Quote:
I meant just for the speed test…

My PC and the Google Mesh primary unit are the only things connected to my Hub - everything else is either wired to the Mesh units or connected through mesh wifi.
OK so I unplugged the ethernet for the mesh primary, plugged in the ethernet for PC - and instant offline.

Plugged the mesh back in, and online again, same LAN port on the hub, so that's weird.

Edit

I'm in modem mode/wi-fi off, yet I can connect to the hub using http://192.168.0.1, pretty sure in modem mode it's meant to be 192.168.100.1

Last edited by techguyone; 03-11-2022 at 20:29.
Old 03-11-2022, 22:27   #69
techguyone
Deus Vult

The thought occurred to me that perhaps the mesh had reached it's capability limit but it seems the TP-Link M5 can handle a fair bit more.

Each Deco unit is powered by a quad-core processor and contains four high-power internal antennas. The router is an AC1300 device capable of speeds of up to 400Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 867Mbps on the 5GHz band.

Still a bit baffled that the hub4 ethernet port that works with the mesh isn't letting the PC connect directly to it, or the fact it's in modem mode but doesn't require a web browser to use 192.168.100.1 to connect to the settings.
Old 15-03-2023, 09:54   #70
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Looks like the 100Meg upload boost is starting to hit residential customers

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...d/td-p/5244256

https://www.reddit.com/r/VirginMedia...peed_increase/
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 15:00   #71
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Is this a trial, or an official upgrade ?

Is there a VM announcement of speed inceases ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 16:27   #72
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Looks like they've finished rolling it out for business and now moving onto residential, no official announcement i'm aware of but we know what Virgin are like for things like that
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 17:08   #73
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I am seeing a fair few reports on reddit, so they expanding the trial it seems, or maybe even the start of a phased rollout.

I expect I will get it late as I only just recently got the extra upstream channels.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 18:29   #74
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Have it in the Teesside area.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2023, 21:02   #75
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

If the upload goes up to 100M then it may make me reconsider leaving them when my contract expires.

Atm, the upload on FTTP is far better, and more than compensates for the slightly lower download.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote