Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 08-03-2023, 10:26   #2101
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: The energy crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Thing is, like anything of this type, is costs more, wastes more fuel, and puts more into the atmosphere firing these up and then shutting them down, rather than just keeping them running.
It does but we have decided its better to have more expensive energy without power cuts than the other way round, politically less damaging.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2023, 13:17   #2102
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

More to the point, clearly shows we are a long long way from no longer using fossil fuels for generation, and are not going to be there in 7 years time.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 19:05   #2103
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Still not received my monthly usage bill from Octopus so dropped them an email.

Edit - their reply which still doesn't help me as I've submitted atleast 2 meter readings in the last month and all its done is said how much gas and electric used in £s and I still don't have a breakdown of units used etc, is this normal?

My last Meter reading was Feb 22nd so I guess I should take another reading on March 22nd to get the amount used and do the maths for the units used myself from month to month?
I've just reread the notes I made when I first joined Octopus from OVO who totally messed up everything possible so my first bill covered 13 weeks. I didn't have a smart meter and the Octopus helpline guy suggested I send in a reading on the 6th of each month as my DD was paid on the 1st. This seemed to sort thing out for us and since having the smart meter fitted the bills have continued to be from the 7th of the month up to the following 6th.

I'd forgotten just what a nightmare it was, guess the relief at finally gettting away from OVO deadened the pain. Final insult was I had to get the Energy Ombudsman involved to get my money back.

If you haven't already found the Handover page it could be worth having a read.
https://octopus.energy/blog/handover-meter-readings/

Last edited by joglynne; 08-03-2023 at 19:08.
joglynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:44   #2104
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

We are getting a new boiler installed today as the old one sprung a leak and at nearly 20 years old. We decided to replace rather than fix considering the cost of repair. It will be interesting to see what impact a newer more efficient boiler will have on the gas bill.

Interestingly, the boiler can be used for blended gas and hydrogen (up to 20% hydrogen) so a nice bit of futureproofing is in place too considering we would like this boiler to last as long as the last one.
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 14:19   #2105
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

My new boiler does seem to use less (not a fantastic amount less) but still welcome.

Old 09-03-2023, 14:30   #2106
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

There was a guy on GB news this morning (Yes, breakfast with Eamon and Isabel is my preferred viewing).

He was on there to promote the use of heat pumps, but he advised that a heat pump should not be the only source heating in a property, especially in an older property, because they're just not up to the job 365/7/24.

When asked if he had one, he said no.
Old 09-03-2023, 15:39   #2107
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
We are getting a new boiler installed today as the old one sprung a leak and at nearly 20 years old. We decided to replace rather than fix considering the cost of repair. It will be interesting to see what impact a newer more efficient boiler will have on the gas bill.

Interestingly, the boiler can be used for blended gas and hydrogen (up to 20% hydrogen) so a nice bit of futureproofing is in place too considering we would like this boiler to last as long as the last one.
Our 6 year-old Worcester-Bosch failed last Sunday and the spare part (Heat Exchanger) can't be fitted before tomorrow (Friday). A couple of fan heaters help us muddle through. The shops are short of convection heaters as they destock the winter kit! Two from Amazon arriving today (I hope).

The 30+ year old Potterton never failed until the end.

But yes - then there's Ukraine, poor souls.

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

Quote:
There was a guy on GB news this morning (Yes, breakfast with Eamon and Isabel is my preferred viewing).

He was on there to promote the use of heat pumps, but he advised that a heat pump should not be the only source heating in a property, especially in an older property, because they're just not up to the job 365/7/24.

Heat pumps, battery driven cars, HS2 - whatever next?
Bicycler and horse-drawn buses?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 17:18   #2108
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
[COLOR="Blue"] Our 6 year-old Worcester-Bosch failed last Sunday and the spare part (Heat Exchanger) can't be fitted before tomorrow (Friday). A couple of fan heaters help us muddle through. The shops are short of convection heaters as they destock the winter kit! Two from Amazon arriving today (I hope).

The 30+ year old Potterton never failed until the end.
A slight diversion from the topic but we saw the issue on Sunday too. We arranged an engineer through Boxt who came on Tuesday afternoon and diagnosed the expansion vessel as the issue. It might have been the heat exchanger and he held these in his van. We got a full quote Tuesday evening and decided not to go ahead with the repair so I called Boxt yesterday who did a quote for the new boiler, knocking off the call-out charge for the engineer and the new boiler was up and running by 2pm today.

I always like to call out good service and this was a cracking example so Boxt is a definite recommendation for me
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 18:11   #2109
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

Not sure I'd employ him to sell anything
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 18:44   #2110
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

The problem isn’t the heat pump, it’s the assumptions behind the design of almost every house built in this country and still standing, with the exception of only the very newest.

The assumption is that Britain will always have access to an abundant supply of cheap fuel and it goes all the way back to the Industrial Revolution which was fired by coal, and then the 20th century dash for natural gas. The solution has always been to add heat to the house faster than it can lose it. We have always been able to do that because burning coal or gas has been cheap.

Heat pumps are widely used in Scandinavian countries even in older houses because they have been willing to insulate their houses adequately at the build stage. It is harder to make an economic case for them here because retrofitting the necessary insulation and, ideally, underfloor heating that is most effective at lower temperatures, is very expensive.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 19:07   #2111
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The problem isn’t the heat pump, it’s the assumptions behind the design of almost every house built in this country and still standing, with the exception of only the very newest.

The assumption is that Britain will always have access to an abundant supply of cheap fuel and it goes all the way back to the Industrial Revolution which was fired by coal, and then the 20th century dash for natural gas. The solution has always been to add heat to the house faster than it can lose it. We have always been able to do that because burning coal or gas has been cheap.

Heat pumps are widely used in Scandinavian countries even in older houses because they have been willing to insulate their houses adequately at the build stage. It is harder to make an economic case for them here because retrofitting the necessary insulation and, ideally, underfloor heating that is most effective at lower temperatures, is very expensive.
Apart from those in the colder, northern end, how much of Scandinavian houses of the past, were well insulated? They have plenty of trees to burn.

In the past, the whole house was rarely heated. People gathered in 1 or 2 rooms.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 19:45   #2112
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Apart from those in the colder, northern end, how much of Scandinavian houses of the past, were well insulated? They have plenty of trees to burn.

In the past, the whole house was rarely heated. People gathered in 1 or 2 rooms.
You really need to find a better hobby than being a contrarian.

Feel free to do the necessary research to answer your own question.
Old 09-03-2023, 20:12   #2113
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post

Well, when I lived in West Berlin in the 70s and 80s, the flats we were in in RAF Gatow (which had been built in the 50s) had triple glazing, between floor insulation, wall insulation, and thick insulated doors at the entrance to the building and the individual flats, and when I visited colleagues in other parts of West Berlin, that seemed standard…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 20:48   #2114
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Well, when I lived in West Berlin in the 70s and 80s, the flats we were in in RAF Gatow (which had been built in the 50s) had triple glazing, between floor insulation, wall insulation, and thick insulated doors at the entrance to the building and the individual flats, and when I visited colleagues in other parts of West Berlin, that seemed standard…
I actually got as far as finding at least anecdotal evidence for triple glazing being commonplace in Norway as far back as the mid 1950s, and typical insulation depths and specifications, before I decided I couldn’t be bothered getting sucked in to feeding Nomad’s knee-jerk gainsaying of anything he reads on here.

There’s tons of material online for anyone who’s genuinely interested in learning stuff rather than just picking fights.
Old 09-03-2023, 21:29   #2115
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

My house was built in 1931 - Insulation ? not really a thing then.

Its not even got proper cavity walls you can fill (downstairs they managed ok, upstairs, not so much. We did at least manage to get decent loft insulation.