Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 09-02-2023, 21:16   #1966
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: The energy crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I'd bet it's not that efficient, have you tried getting it tested for efficiency?
It's more efficient than having to get a new boiler every few years.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2023, 21:19   #1967
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
That's for me too with my 25 year old boiler, I had mine fixed rather than pay £3000+, I know if I stay in this house I will need to change it before they stop installing them as I'm not having a heat pump as a boiler, heard some bad stories for how useless they are and how expensive to run.
Old 09-02-2023, 22:26   #1968
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
That's for me too with my 25 year old boiler, I had mine fixed rather than pay £3000+, I know if I stay in this house I will need to change it before they stop installing them as I'm not having a heat pump as a boiler, heard some bad stories for how useless they are and how expensive to run.
You need to stop listening to the man down the pub. If they’re installed properly, heat pumps are extremely effective. The problem isn’t the heat pump, it’s the British attitude to building and insulating houses, thanks to something like 400 years of extremely cheap energy. It has always been easier to chuck more coal on the fire, or latterly just turn the thermostat up a notch, than to think seriously about retaining the heat.

They are widely used in far colder places than the UK and the technology is always improving - today you can get the same results from an air-source unit that 20 years ago you would have to have installed a hundred metres of pipe underground to get.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 23:43   #1969
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I think they are going to be banned from 2030 and they say that the average boiler lasts about ten years, so we will all have to eventually move over (unless they are as lucky as you've been with your boiler)!

There's currently a Government grant towards heat pumps of £5,000- but that still means paying out about £7,000.

That's not economic for my expected lifespan. With the passage of time though, as all homes will have alternative systems, this will becom less relevant.

I think it would be prudent of the Government to increase the level of grants available to mature people, paid for by possibly cutting or withdrawing grants to younger people who will have the chance to make a profit after installing them.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 09-02-2023 at 23:47.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 00:05   #1970
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

You may not have thought that statement fully through…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 02:51   #1971
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I think they are going to be banned from 2030 and they say that the average boiler lasts about ten years.
Boilers are not going to be 'banned', but they will eventually run on hydrogen.

10 years ? Where on earth do you get that low figure from ?

Quote:
.... younger people who will have the chance to make a profit after installing them.
Make a "profit" ? How, exactly

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 07:18   #1972
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard that figure bandied about

(Googles …)

Yes, lots of places say to consider replacement after 10-15 years due to reduced efficiency. Lots of places want to sell you a new boiler though.

I’ve only ever lived in one house more than 10 years that had a gas boiler though, and when I left after 18 years the original was still installed and going strong.
Old 10-02-2023, 09:23   #1973
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Boiler=gas boiler.

The profit relates to when the cost savings have repaid the extra costs of a heat pump over and above a gas boiler, then people are making a profit by changing until the heat pump reaches the end of it's life.

My last gas boiler was a relatively cheap one that was provided free due to me being disabled.and failed after 10 years.

I now need another one, which will be another gas boiler as, perversely this is all that they offer.

When they came to inspect it, I said it had only lasted 10 years and was told that this was about right.
Old 10-02-2023, 15:32   #1974
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Does anyone know if existing gas boilers can run on hydrogen or be converted to do so?

Will the existing gas supply be changed to hydrogen or will we need a storage tank in a similar fashion to those that use oil?
Old 10-02-2023, 16:06   #1975
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Does anyone know if existing gas boilers can run on hydrogen or be converted to do so?

Will the existing gas supply be changed to hydrogen or will we need a storage tank in a similar fashion to those that use oil?
I think it's a bit of a pipe dream and all very theoretical at the moment.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 16:36   #1976
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

https://www.hellohydrogen.com/?gclid...xoCWmMQAvD_BwE

Quote:
Will I need to change my boiler?

Yes, new boilers will be needed for homes to use 100% hydrogen. The benefit of a hydrogen-ready boiler is, it will fit in the same spot as your old one and manufacturers have committed to ensuring they will be the same price as a traditional boiler.

You also won’t need to upgrade your boiler until it runs to the end of its natural life. Think of it like HD-Ready TVs that were introduced before the rollout of High Definition TV channels – they worked with the old and new technologies seamlessly and the speed of the switchover was done at a gradual pace region by region.

Manufacturers are already making and testing hydrogen-ready boilers, which can be easily converted to use 100% hydrogen in the future. These are expected to be ready for sale in large volumes from 2026. Boiler makers have said they will need at least three years to develop and produce the hydrogen-ready boilers at scale to keep prices low.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 16:41   #1977
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think it's a bit of a pipe dream and all very theoretical at the moment.
On the contrary, the first village-sized trial will begin in 2025, either in Redcar or Whitby, near Ellesmere Port in Cheshire. A new ‘hydrogen ready’ standard for boilers installed in UK homes has already been drawn up and should mean that by 2025 at the latest, all new installations will be able to burn hydrogen.

https://utilityweek.co.uk/redcar-and...rogen-village/

Quote:

Conversion ought to be possible also, and has been done before. Our national gas infrastructure progressively switched from town gas to natural gas in the mid 20th century. It takes a fair bit of logistics and a lot of home visiting but it can be done.

The idea is to replace methane with hydrogen in the public supply, but given the immensely complicated task of ensuring all domestic boilers can burn hydrogen and the local network (not to mention domestic pipes) can distribute it without leaking, this is not going to happen any time very soon.
Old 10-02-2023, 16:41   #1978
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Hydrogen - the terrorist's friend. Accidents waiting to happen. Seals and gaskets will be laughing all the way to a big bang.

Yet totally necessary!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 16:46   #1979
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

Hydrogen - the terrorist's friend. Accidents waiting to happen. Seals and gaskets will be laughing all the way to a big bang.

Yet totally necessary!
What the actual heckery are you talking about? Terrorists?

I’m ignoring the rest of it because it’s obvious bolleaux in any scenario where appropriate professional standards of installation are employed, as they already are amongst properly licensed gas fitters working in the UK.
Old 10-02-2023, 16:51   #1980
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What the actual heckery are you talking about? Terrorists?

I’m ignoring the rest of it because it’s obvious bolleaux in any scenario where appropriate professional standards of installation are employed, as they already are amongst properly licensed gas fitters working in the UK.
Hydrogen goes bigger bang than current gas.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote