Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 03-02-2023, 07:13   #1936
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: The energy crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
"spurious grounds"?

Do you mean telling people that the boilers are unsafe or there aren’t parts for them any more?

I’m sure you’d be amongst the first to condemn them if they left unsafe equipment in place and people died because it was faulty…
The BG engineer scam is to claim the parts aren't available if the boiler is more than a few years old. They then get commission from BG for giving the lead to a salesman to sell you a new boiler at a vastly inflated price. The parts are of course available if you go to an independent fitter.

Happened to my father-in-law, who had Parkinsons, a few years ago. We were away at the time, they stitched him up good and proper. A company that has a history of preying on the vulnerable.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2023, 08:13   #1937
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Octopus apparently are allowing people to sign up to their tracker tariff again which in December at least was up to 10 per kwh cheaper than the fix leccy and 4p cheaper gas
I found this post very useful. I am happy to send you a voucher for 6 Angus Tomahawk steaks, if you PM me your name , address and a delivery date in February

The scottish butcher says

The Tomahawk is a Sirloin steak on the bone, french trimmed to expose the bone. The Cut is well marbled and has a high fat content to ensure a fantastic meat lovers experience. This cut is Dry Aged for a Minimum of 45 Days.

To all: Please note that perishable goods cannot be given to food banks. This is a catering firm in Glasgow and I was given the voucher, so I can choose them for our hospitality events. My/neighbours's/relatives's fridges/freezers are full. Do not be mean to me.
Ms NTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:36   #1938
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

My Bulb bill for January is £214 December was £139 so god knows what other people bills are like that have their heating on all day and have a bigger house than me!
Old 03-02-2023, 08:40   #1939
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
My Bulb bill for January is £214 December was £139 so god knows what other people bills are like that have their heating on all day and have a bigger house than me!
I had my heating on once in Jan to dry some clothes and forgot about it and it cost over 4 quid for just a few hours. If I was to use it I could easily see the bill being £300 for gas alone a month
Old 03-02-2023, 12:38   #1940
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I had my heating on once in Jan to dry some clothes and forgot about it and it cost over 4 quid for just a few hours. If I was to use it I could easily see the bill being £300 for gas alone a month
January was a cold month if I remember even when home the heatings not always running just a burst now and then, I get a nice graph on my Tado, December was a short month as I was away from home for over a week so I guess mine looked worse when comparing.

You should set a timer on your mobile so you don't forget.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:58   #1941
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Dec approx £350, Jan approx £450, thats gas and electric.
Our house is always occupied, 4 adults, and one 18 mth toddler.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 07:23   #1942
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms NTL View Post
I found this post very useful. I am happy to send you a voucher for 6 Angus Tomahawk steaks, if you PM me your name , address and a delivery date in February

The scottish butcher says

The Tomahawk is a Sirloin steak on the bone, french trimmed to expose the bone. The Cut is well marbled and has a high fat content to ensure a fantastic meat lovers experience. This cut is Dry Aged for a Minimum of 45 Days.

To all: Please note that perishable goods cannot be given to food banks. This is a catering firm in Glasgow and I was given the voucher, so I can choose them for our hospitality events. My/neighbours's/relatives's fridges/freezers are full. Do not be mean to me.
That is incredibly generous of you. Steak is a rare treat in my house message sent
Old 05-02-2023, 11:29   #1943
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Dec approx £350, Jan approx £450, thats gas and electric.
Our house is always occupied, 4 adults, and one 18 mth toddler.
Smart meter says nothing for electric , and £26 for gas , can't give up my gas range! Perhaps I should move to bottled and then I would avoid all standing charges
Old 05-02-2023, 14:29   #1944
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Um, you dont use any electric

Old 05-02-2023, 14:48   #1945
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Um, you dont use any electric
Solar, heat pump logburner double garage now a big battery ! So no I don't use mains
Old 05-02-2023, 19:24   #1946
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful oneMs NTL is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
https://news.sky.com/story/british-g...merge-12801126

And what will Ofgem do? Tell them to stop being naughty? Another toothless regulator.
Also amazes me how BG engineers can shut down folks boilers, on spurious grounds, and are then on commission to sell new boilers at inflated prices. Another scam..

Baxi sent an "elephant size" engineer that could not fit in the 1m x0.8m cabinet to repair the under warranty boiler (installed by Baxi) . After a heated (below zero, the boiler was not working) exchange, he left the house furious but he returned to put a "not safe use note" through the letterbox.

It is all sorted now, but I had to navigate through the "body shaming" etiquette.
Ms NTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:27   #1947
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I've never had an issue with BG engineers. They have tried to get me to have a new boiler and their prices while higher than local companies were not vastly inflated. Out boiler finally went when the expansion vessel "failed" so we could never get it fully to pressure and it was only 22 years old poor thing. They really don't make things to last do they?
Old 06-02-2023, 11:18   #1948
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I've never had an issue with BG engineers. They have tried to get me to have a new boiler and their prices while higher than local companies were not vastly inflated. Out boiler finally went when the expansion vessel "failed" so we could never get it fully to pressure and it was only 22 years old poor thing. They really don't make things to last do they?
That’s a decent age for a boiler, and don’t forget they are less efficient as they get older too. The fact that no spare part was available should tell you all you need to know about the expected lifespan of the unit. That said if you were absolutely determined you could have had an independent central heating engineer add an external expansion vessel to your system. We had that done to ours because the internal vessels supplied for our boiler were notoriously short-lived.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 14:58   #1949
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Breakdown of gas storage talks leaves UK exposed to price surges, say experts

Impasse over subsidies increases country’s dependence on expensive LNG imports

Britain will be vulnerable to gas shortages and high energy prices next winter because of the failure of the government and Centrica to reach agreement on expanding the UK’s largest gas storage site, energy experts and MPs have warned.

Centrica, which owns British Gas, partly reopened the Rough gas storage site off the Yorkshire coast, at the government’s request last October — five years after it was closed to new injections. But the site is operating at only a fifth of its previous capacity.

The company had been lobbying the government for consumer-funded minimum revenue guarantees that it says it needs if it is to invest the £150mn required to double Rough’s capacity to 60bn cubic feet by next winter.

Talks between the government and Centrica over the new funding mechanism have collapsed in recent weeks and Centrica has warned that it will not be able to expand the capacity in time for next winter.
https://www.ft.com/content/0ebf0cf1-...6-ec060fd94f66
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 15:46   #1950
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Anything past 20 years is good going for a boiler, I had mine replaced last summer, it was 23 years old and still running fine, but many parts stopped being available years ago, so I decided to replace it in the summer, rather than have it break down in the winter and need replacing then.

I notice they plan to make "gas" 20% hydrogen towards the end of this decade. My new boiler will be able to handle this. I'm not sure about full hydrogen when that comes along, but thats a long time yet, it'll probably be ready for replacement again by then.