Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The energy crisis

Old 24-01-2023, 10:22   #1906
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The energy crisis

Do you guys let your heating trigger ON during the night if it gets too cold?

I've always had my heating set to go OFF at 10pm and it currently comes on if I'm home at 7am but with it below zero outside the house temp drops to around 12.5c and then takes hours to warm up again, it's currently 17c and the heatings been on 3hrs.

So I'm wondering that now I have a Tado smart thermastat whether I should schedule it not to drop below a certain temperature during the night maybe 15c?
Old 24-01-2023, 10:56   #1907
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post

I've always had my heating set to go OFF at 10pm and it currently comes on if I'm home at 7am but with it below zero outside the house temp drops to around 12.5c and then takes hours to warm up again, it's currently 17c and the heatings been on 3hrs.

So I'm wondering that now I have a Tado smart thermastat whether I should schedule it not to drop below a certain temperature during the night maybe 15c?
During winter, I leave the heating controls permanently on and control usage with the thermostat only. At night, the thermostat is turned down to around 12/13c so it can kick in if it gets that cold. Not sure how this works out economically but heating is needed and that’s that.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 11:14   #1908
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Yes my concern was how much increase if anything it would cost me, it also depends which shift I'm working, if I'm on early shift then the heating stays off from 10pm to maybe 11am until I switch it on again while at work so the house is a little warmer.
Old 24-01-2023, 11:15   #1909
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
No central heating here but thick combined duvets ~18 Tog. Snug and toasty all night.

Mind you it's a bit Vladivostock when you have to pop out for a pee.
Old 24-01-2023, 11:23   #1910
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
No central heating here but thick combined duvets ~18 Tog. Snug and toasty all night.

We do exactly the same here. The only thing we have added is a fleece throw over the bottom of the bed that we use to stay warm when we do any loo runs during the night.
Old 24-01-2023, 11:30   #1911
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Surely your fingerless gloves, hair shirt, beanie, arctic socks and Woolley undies keep you warm on pee runs? I can’t be the only one who has prepared sensibly for the early morning wee

Admittedly, finding it can be tricky.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 11:38   #1912
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Admittedly, finding it can be tricky.
Directly across the landing mate can't miss it. Don't forget to lift the seat or you'll be in trouble.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 11:41   #1913
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post

My issue isn't being cold in bed as I'm not with the heating off it's whether I should warm the house a little during the night so it's not so cold in the mornings, and the house then takes less energy to get upto temperature assuming I'm at home.
Old 24-01-2023, 12:19   #1914
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

You want to have some sort of heat in the house to avoid damp, wood rotting, and condensation mostly.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 12:28   #1915
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
You want to have some sort of heat in the house to avoid damp, wood rotting, and condensation mostly.
What's the definition of a sort of heat? As I have no plans to run the heating 24/7, I think the lowest it has got since I installed the smart thermastat is 11c when I was away over Christmas and it was set to not go below 10c.
Old 24-01-2023, 13:08   #1916
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Surely your fingerless gloves, hair shirt, beanie, arctic socks and Woolley undies keep you warm on pee runs?
Au contraire mon ami. Au naturel but swiftly.
Old 25-01-2023, 03:40   #1917
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Mine is on 24/7, controlled by Hive. I set it a little lower overnight, but not too much.
I'm always up until 3.30am ish, plus the little one to keep warm, who is up (with someone) from about 5am ish.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 09:27   #1918
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:

Like Paul, I also have Hive.

Ours runs on a schedule to have the house heated to 18c by 6am which is when I'm generally up and about, from half eight in the morning till five at night it's set to 15c and then from five till ten PM its set to 18c then back to 15c until it needs to start heating the following morning.

IIRC Hive also has frost protection and it kicks in automatically at either 5c or 8c can't remember
Old 25-01-2023, 10:22   #1919
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Like Paul, I also have Hive.

Ours runs on a schedule to have the house heated to 18c by 6am which is when I'm generally up and about, from half eight in the morning till five at night it's set to 15c and then from five till ten PM its set to 18c then back to 15c until it needs to start heating the following morning.

IIRC Hive also has frost protection and it kicks in automatically at either 5c or 8c can't remember
18c is too cold for me unless I put thermals on my legs ,atleast first thing in the morning so mines set to 20c when im Home, so it's off from 10pm to 6am as that's a waste if I don't need it.

It currently comes on at 6am till 10pm during the day and evening, if I'm not home it'll be put into Away mode which is set to not drop below 10c, this hasn't been triggered yet.

Over all since installing my Tado Smart Thermostat I must be using less gas as it's always off when I'm not at home apart from me switching it back on remotely before I arrive back, so it was a fantastic Black Friday investment.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 25-01-2023 at 10:34.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 10:27   #1920
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
18c is too cold for me unless I put thermals on my legs ,atleast first thing in the morning so mines set to 20c when im Home, so it's off from 10pm to 6am as that's a waste if I don't need it.

It currently comes on at 6am till 10pm during the day and evening, if I'm not home it'll be put into Away mode which is set to not drop below 10c, this hasn't been triggered yet.

Over all since installing my Tado Smart Thermostat I must be using less gas as it's always off when I'm not at home apart from me switching it back on remotely before I arrive back.
I know Hive supports it but unsure if the Tado does but take a look and see if it supports 'heat by' which will have your house to the temperature you want by the time you want. no more having to do it manually !