Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

The energy crisis

Old 01-01-2023, 14:16   #1876
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: The energy crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Only if our gas-fired power stations are buying their fuel at spot prices, which I understand they mainly don’t. Fixed-price contracts will have to work their way through the system first.

Petrol and diesel prices should react more quickly though, and around here at least they seem to be doing so.
And there in lies the rub. The system created for and run by the corporate energy companies is a fix. We pay more in all situations. The system is so arcane and opaque, by design, so that most of the consumers are unable to understand and therefore protest about being ripped off.

We produce, on a good day, >50% of our electricity needs from wind. Yes, our wind on our land yet we have to pay the price of the highest input for this energy. The system, like many others, is deliberately setup to profit big business and their stakeholders. We are we so stupid in allowing this?
Old 04-01-2023, 13:43   #1877
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Some good news
Quote:
British household energy bills likely to be lower after warm weather

Analysts sharply reduce their forecasts after unseasonably mild winter across Europe

British household energy bills are forecast to be lower than previously anticipated in 2023, dropping below the level of the government’s price guarantee in the second half of the year.

Analysts have sharply reduced their estimates for domestic energy bills after unseasonably warm weather across Europe in recent weeks has led to lower gas usage on the continent.

Martin Young of Investec bank, who has a record of accurately predicting the level of the price cap that dictates energy bills for the majority of British households, said he anticipates the cap to reduce to about £3,460 a year in April based on typical usage, dropping to £2,640 a year in July and hitting just over £2,700 in October.
https://www.ft.com/content/6d21f023-...8-1689fde2d05a
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 15:00   #1878
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Good old Global Warming.

Another few years and we wont need heating.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 15:33   #1879
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Good old Global Warming.
It’s not just here for the nasty things in life like catastrophic flooding. It’s here for the nice things too.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 20:21   #1880
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

EDF strike again , on fixed rate till May just had a refund of £350 , over payment for the year . Put my standing order up ( double) based on estimate that I will use 2 times the power that I have in the last year ! Given that may be correct not likely but still, why give a refund and then take more each month
Old 04-01-2023, 20:30   #1881
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Still waiting for Bulb to cough up this months £67 energy rebate, maybe they're waiting for my £83 direct debit to go through first.
Old 04-01-2023, 20:38   #1882
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Still waiting for Bulb to cough up this months £67 energy rebate, maybe they're waiting for my £83 direct debit to go through first.
Mine is late off Octopus too. They have no choice though not worried
Old 04-01-2023, 21:03   #1883
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Mine is late off Octopus too. They have no choice though not worried
Octopus credit the energy rebate to your account when your bill is calculated/ your direct debit is collected. Or at least that how mine works.
Old 05-01-2023, 02:59   #1884
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Delayed by the holidays perhaps ?

---------- Post added at 01:59 ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
EDF strike again , on fixed rate till May just had a refund of £350 , over payment for the year . Put my standing order up ( double) based on estimate that I will use 2 times the power that I have in the last year ! Given that may be correct not likely but still, why give a refund and then take more each month
Wouldnt you rather have the money, than them ?

I would, which is why I switched to just paying what I actually owe each month, no big "credit" built up (i.e. them having my money).

Old 05-01-2023, 15:41   #1885
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Bulb has just rebated my account.
Old 05-01-2023, 17:08   #1886
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I believe that, to stop them holding onto people's money interest free, the rules were changed a few years ago to require them to do this (once a year I think).

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

Quote:
Delayed by the holidays perhaps ?

---------- Post added at 01:59 ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 ----------

Wouldnt you rather have the money, than them ?

I would, which is why I switched to just paying what I actually owe each month, no big "credit" built up (i.e. them having my money).
Does it work out more expensive doing it this way though?

I know that you can have Sky on a rolling monthly contract instead of entering into a contract, but it does work out more expensive.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 19:20   #1887
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Does it work out more expensive doing it this way though?
Not atm.

Old 05-01-2023, 19:23   #1888
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Some energy suppliers have a (slightly) more expensive tariff for customers who pay in full in arrears rather than a fixed amount direct debit, but not all of them do.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 00:29   #1889
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Bulb may or may not do that normally, I dont know, but the cap limits what they can charge atm.

It remains to be seen what happens as we move to Octopus, although the cap seems to be in place for some time yet.

Old 06-01-2023, 00:36   #1890
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Bulb may or may not do that normally, I dont know, but the cap limits what they can charge atm.

It remains to be seen what happens as we move to Octopus, although the cap seems to be in place for some time yet.
There will be a 20% increase in unit rates in April that I think runs for the year. There may well be small drops over the year and the hopefully 2024 will see lower wholesale prices.

Octopus do also give a small standing charge discount