Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ISP Virgin Media UK Discounts Gigabit Broadband to £39.99

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

ISP Virgin Media UK Discounts Gigabit Broadband to £39.99

Old 26-01-2023, 10:58   #16
Chair
cf.member

Chair is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ISP Virgin Media UK Discounts Gigabit Broadband to £39.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
But what do you do on your internal network that requires that speed?
Mine is admittedly a bit of an edge case. My SO is a neuroscientist, so sometimes I download large brain scans for some local processing. That's why we pay for gig download speeds (the uni will happily pump out at whatever speed I can take in). It's also why I am thinking of getting some 10GbE stuff (basically server to processor) as part of my (Ubiquiti) home network.

In the rest of our lives we seldom use more than a fraction of the gig download pipe - no real gaming, only occasional proverbial "Linux ISOs"
Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-01-2023, 12:44   #17
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by humey View Post
"Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I always find the "average speeds of 1130Mbps down" amusing Who, at home, has 2.5Gbps ethernet backhaul or 1Gbps+ capable WiFi devices"

I DO!"

My PC has a 2.5Gb/s NIC and WIFI 6E, my phone is also WIFI 6E and I have a USB C to 2.5Gb/s NIC I can plug into it.
I do as well, it feeds my Unraid server and the Plex addon that is loaded with lots of Linux Iso's . My family just loves Linux Iso's

Next move is to add 10Gb between the 2 x hard wired gaming PC's

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/

Last edited by Sirius; 26-01-2023 at 12:47.
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 12:47   #18
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chair View Post
Mine is admittedly a bit of an edge case. My SO is a neuroscientist, so sometimes I download large brain scans for some local processing. That's why we pay for gig download speeds (the uni will happily pump out at whatever speed I can take in). It's also why I am thinking of getting some 10GbE stuff (basically server to processor) as part of my (Ubiquiti) home network.

In the rest of our lives we seldom use more than a fraction of the gig download pipe - no real gaming, only occasional proverbial "Linux ISOs"
Thanks for the explanation.

Part of one of my jobs (pre-retirement) was trying to convince the Teaching Hospitals in our city to fund 1 or 10Gb links from the hospitals to the Unis for transfer of such data (they were taxi’ing portable Hard Drives previously), so I get where you/your SO are coming from…

(the first connection was relatively easy, putting in resiliency not so much - we managed to get Capital Expediture from a Research Grant, the challenge was getting someone to pay the ongoing line rentals).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 13:07   #19
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I always find the "average speeds of 1130Mbps down" amusing Who, at home, has 2.5Gbps ethernet backhaul or 1Gbps+ capable WiFi devices
The point of connections >1Gb is to maximised bandwidth for multiple devices in the premises. No single device will be hogging all that even if we had cables, switches and network cards capable of carrying >1Gb.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 14:03   #20
humey
cf.member

humey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
But what do you do on your internal network that requires that speed?
I am not running a server so do not have devices all over the home linked, so I only need that speed to the PC for downloading faster.

I do not get your point and it is the same every time a new speed tier launches with some telling me do not need that speed.

I did not run out and buy a new Mobo, my last one was 2013 so this new one happens to have a 2.5Gb/s and 10Gb/s NIC so I now get full speed out of the HUB5 on 1Gb/s instead of losing about 200-300Mb/s.

Remember what Bill Gates said?
humey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 14:38   #21
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

tbf, I didn’t say you don’t need that speed - I asked "what do you do on your internal network that requires that speed" in response to your comment

Quote:
My PC has a 2.5Gb/s NIC and WIFI 6E, my phone is also WIFI 6E and I have a USB C to 2.5Gb/s NIC I can plug into it.
Old 26-01-2023, 15:49   #22
humey
cf.member

humey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enoughhumey will become famous soon enough

Again, all devices can get full speed, if need be, they are effectively all Networked but the HUB5 ports are 1Gb/s apart from the main port.
Old 26-01-2023, 16:00   #23
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Again, you’re stating what speed they can do, not what they do with that speed…
Old 26-01-2023, 16:12   #24
humey
cf.member

<removed>

Last edited by Paul; 26-01-2023 at 19:03. Reason: Dont be a dick
Old 26-01-2023, 16:58   #25
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
The point of connections >1Gb is to maximised bandwidth for multiple devices in the premises. No single device will be hogging all that even if we had cables, switches and network cards capable of carrying >1Gb.
I guess you are missing my point, as others are. I agree with you, except for a (small?) minority of Gig1 users, most people will not be able to easily verify the headline speed they are paying for. Hence my amusement about the way they sell the product with "the Gig1 broadband service offering average download speeds of 1,130Mbps".

I totally get the multiplexed bandwidth usage across multiple, active, wired & wireless devices but that is a very nuanced message for a consumer broadband sell.
Old 26-01-2023, 18:18   #26
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by humey View Post
Image removed

I was asking about your internal network requirements for speed, not your download requirements…

Quote:
what do you do on your internal network that requires that speed?
Old 26-01-2023, 21:59   #27
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
... most people will not be able to easily verify the headline speed they are paying for.. .l.
Most 1Gb subscribers can though, unless they are in 'Modem Only' mode, using the built-in Samknows real speed test.

https://samknows.com/realspeed/
Old 26-01-2023, 22:19   #28
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

I think the biggest benefit is posting speed test results on forums. Sod all else use. Once it got above 100mb no benefit for 99% of punters.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2023, 22:23   #29
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I think the biggest benefit is posting speed test results on forums. Sod all else use. Once it got above 100mb no benefit for 99% of punters.
Users posting here, are often the other 1%.
Old 26-01-2023, 23:40   #30
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Most 1Gb subscribers can though, unless they are in 'Modem Only' mode, using the built-in Samknows real speed test.

https://samknows.com/realspeed/
Again, you are missing the point. Running Samknows from within the router is not what most people would interpret as their "download" speed. Anyway, I was only pointing out the tongue in cheek marketing message ..

Quote:
Gig1 Fibre Broadband

broadband-1000
Virgin Media WiFi Hub 5
Intelligent WiFi Technology
1130Mbps average download speed
52Mbps average upload speed