Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wireless setup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

wireless setup

Old 12-08-2005, 20:58   #1
mini-sprite
Inactive

mini-sprite is an unknown quantity at this point
wireless setup

Hello all my first post and i'm not too sure how to explain my question so here goes. I have had my home network setup wired for about a year with no problems. It consists of a broadband connection(ntl) through a set top box. The patch cable goes up into the office and connects to my office pc by ethernet card. There is a second ethernet card in the office pc, which has a patch cable going into my sons room to an ethernat card in the back of his pc. All is well with thi setup why change you ask?

I have bought a DELL laptop for my wife, with a wireless internet card built in and she would would like to use this for internet browsing. I have also bought a belkin wireless G router (802.11g) 2.4ghzno virus.

I would like to keep my wired connection to the 2 desk top computers if possible as these are a very reliable connection to the internet.

My question is how do i go about doing this, ie: where should my router be connected up to.

cheers Paul
mini-sprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2005, 21:25   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: wireless setup

to Cable Forum

Can you post the exact model number of the belkin router? Will allow us to look up it's capabilities.

Does the router have wired LAN ports (often there will be 4) as well as a WAN ethernet port (socket)? If so you can keep wired connections to the two PCs. I suggest that now you have a router you can ditch the shared connection from your desktop to your son's desktop. You'd connect your sons desktop directly to the router. That way you no longer need your PC running if your son want's to use the internet, and the slight load of the internet connection sharing is removed from your PC. The router now takes all the load.

To simplify the way everything is wired up at the moment you'd put the router near your office desktop.
Wired connections:
STB > router
Router LAN #1 > office desktop
Router LAN #2 > Son's desktop

Wireless from router to new lappy.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 21:44   #3
mini-sprite
Inactive

Hi thanks for the welcome and also a quick reply. The router model is f5d7230-4. It has 4 LAN connectors which says in blue "connections to computers" It has a single other connection that say "connection to modem". I hope this is the info you need if not just ask. You have already simplyfied everything in your last paragraph. thanks so far, Is there is anything else i should know to make the setup easier.

I'm not sure if i should run the software that came with the router on all the pc's either?

cheers Paul
Old 12-08-2005, 22:28   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Your confirmation of the ports available, shows my wiring suggestion can be used.

You may well need to use the software, but on one PC only, so you can connect and setup the router, especially the wireless options. Having said that most routers have an admin access that you can connect to using the IP address of the router. The user guide will give you more details. I'd see if you can get it going without the software first - you may just need to install a user guide off the CD.

When you set up the network, remember to unplug the STB, PC and router, then switch on the STB, let it settle, then the router, let that settle and then the PC. You will then need to register the router. Check the articles on this site that give more detail on all that.
Old 12-08-2005, 22:45   #5
mini-sprite
Inactive

what do you mean " register the router"?

what do you mean by"register the router"?
Old 12-08-2005, 23:44   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

When you first connect a new device direct to the STB, ntl detects that and will claim it is unknown. Usually when you attempt to use the internet you will be directed to a special site where you have to enter your original logon PIN no and password details ntl sent you when you first logged on.
Old 13-08-2005, 13:05   #7
mini-sprite
Inactive

Ive got my router setup and both pc work are working fine with a good connection. The laptop is also working ive taken it all over the house (sat on the bog whilst being on the internet was a very liberating experiance LOL) it even works at the bottom of our garden which must be 150 metre's from the router, although connection is not that strong. I did not have to put any software in the pc at all.

A big thank you to Rob C "top bloke" i followed your instruction and it all came together.

cheers Paul