Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 12mbps without router & 6mbps through router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

12mbps without router & 6mbps through router

Old 17-02-2009, 04:01   #1
Steverd
Inactive

Steverd is an unknown quantity at this point
12mbps without router & 6mbps through router

I am using a Linksys WRT54G router with v4.21.1 firmware and it is cutting my download speed in half. When my cable modem is connect directly to my computer I get 12mbps downloads, but when going through the router i drops to 6mpbs.

Any suggestions? Should I look at getting a newer router?

Thanks,
Steve
Steverd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2009, 10:38   #2
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
Re: 12mbps without router & 6mbps through router

Is the connection from your PC to the router wired or wireless?
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 10:43   #3
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

It has a 10/100 WAN port so the problem shouldn't be the router. As above if wireless it could be a channel problem.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 15:24   #4
Steverd
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
Is the connection from your PC to the router wired or wireless?
It's an older wireless Linksys WRT54G model v1.1, I've had it for 4-5 years and wondering if it's time to upgrade my router also then?

thanks,
Steve

---------- Post added at 15:24 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwell View Post
It has a 10/100 WAN port so the problem shouldn't be the router. As above if wireless it could be a channel problem.
Without trying to sound complete stupid, what would I check for a channel problem? Should I try the other three plugs in the back of the router?
How about turn off the WEP/WPA would that make a difference?

Thank you again!
Steve
Old 17-02-2009, 15:31   #5
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

For a start it's old enough to flash with Tomato (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato) which you should do immediately, the Linksys firmwares are pretty awful in comparison.

By channel number he means the radio channel that the router is transmitting on, some channels tend to be busier than others with a lot of routers by default using the same channel. Tomato has a wireless survey function which will allow you to find a clean channel. Otherwise using the Linksys firmware its a case of trial and error going through each of the channels till you find a clean channel that doesn't cause you problems.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 16:24   #6
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverd View Post
It's an older wireless Linksys WRT54G model v1.1, I've had it for 4-5 years and wondering if it's time to upgrade my router also then?

thanks,
Steve
Okay then:

IS

THE

CONNECTION

FROM

YOUR

PC

TO

THE

ROUTER

WIRED

OR

WIRELESS?
Old 17-02-2009, 17:41   #7
Steverd
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
Okay then:

IS

THE

CONNECTION

FROM

YOUR

PC

TO

THE

ROUTER

WIRED

OR

WIRELESS?

Oh, I see, the router is wired to the computer. Sorry.

Steve
Old 17-02-2009, 18:01   #8
altis
cf.mega poster

Mmmm... sounds like you might need a router with more grunt.

Before you spend any money though, I'd check the configuration of the router to make sure that there's nothing silly set up. And have a few goes at your speed tests. They are notoriously fickle.
Old 17-02-2009, 18:46   #9
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

I'll second Horace's recommendation of Tomato.

Previously I was using DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54G (can't remember the hardware version but with yours at 1.1 you should be fine - there are some links with hardware data and compatibility though - I'll try and dig them out).

After the 10 meg upgrade, my router maxed out at around 6meg (from memory) as the QoS settings weren't particularly efficient. Swapped to Tomato and now max out the connection speed quite happily.

I've not tried the 20meg through the router but unless you're running a ton of complicated QoS rules I suspect it'll be fine.

The interesting thing though is that you're only getting 12mbps when connected directly. Are you on the 20 meg package or 10 (where you can hit 1.2MBps quite happily).
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 18:58   #10
KingDaveRa
Inactive

Services: Broadband Gamer, Phone M, Tivo V6.
KingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the rough

I had a brand new WRT54GL, which I put tomato on. It would download fine, but upload was at best 1-2Kbs! It was awful. It also made an odd hissing noise...

So I sent it back to the fine folks at Broadbandbuyer, and they sent another one. Flashed that with tomato, and it's been fine since. So I wonder if there's some odd quirk of the WRT54G family that perhaps something 'goes' which results in performance issues? Dunno!
KingDaveRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 08:39   #11
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

It does sound like your router could be causing the issue if you are cabled. As above, try flashing it, or if you arn't comfortable with doing such things a new router should sort the problem.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 15:44   #12
Steverd
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwell View Post
It does sound like your router could be causing the issue if you are cabled. As above, try flashing it, or if you arn't comfortable with doing such things a new router should sort the problem.
Thanks,

I did flash Tomato on it last night and it increased my speed from the 6mbps to about 7.5mbps. I also manually set the 100mbps/full duplex it was on auto, but it made no difference.
I plan to try a different/newer router tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

Steve