Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TCP IP issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TCP IP issue

Old 12-05-2006, 14:22   #46
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: TCP IP issue

Let me guess... it's the indian support centre? I'd be writing in - but it's resolved anyway. You could try the responsetek thing on the forum I spose.

Neil: I don't think they can tbh, if I fobbed a customer off like that at work I'd be *******ed for it.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2006, 15:30   #47
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc
Let me guess... it's the indian support centre? I'd be writing in - but it's resolved anyway. You could try the responsetek thing on the forum I spose.

Neil: I don't think they can tbh, if I fobbed a customer off like that at work I'd be *******ed for it.
Always been the same with ntl I'm afraid.

We used to have a member here (or it may have been NTHW.com) who worked for Tech Support, & he used to 'boast' about the times they fobbed off customers, lied to them, put 'Team Leaders' on who weren't even Team Leaders.

The tales were horrendous, but ntl don;t have the measures in place to track it & prevent it happening, & until they do the BS-ers will thrive within ntl.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 15:36   #48
nffc
cf.mega poster

nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Quote:

We used to have a member here (or it may have been NTHW.com) who worked for Tech Support, & he used to 'boast' about the times they fobbed off customers, lied to them, put 'Team Leaders' on who weren't even Team Leaders.

The tales were horrendous, but ntl don;t have the measures in place to track it & prevent it happening, & until they do the BS-ers will thrive within ntl.
Hehe, we often wonder what happens if we do that... but quite a lot of the time, it's not as if a manager / team leader can offer anything different to a call agent anyway, quite a lot of the time it seems to just be wanting to speak to someone else. A lot of our managers are non-technical anyway.

That said i'm a and don't get my customers ****ed off!

Old 12-05-2006, 16:38   #49
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hehe, we often wonder what happens if we do that... but quite a lot of the time, it's not as if a manager / team leader can offer anything different to a call agent anyway, quite a lot of the time it seems to just be wanting to speak to someone else. A lot of our managers are non-technical anyway.

Thats right, you have to be patient in your position as its part of your job. Like you have been with me.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 21:07   #50
nffc
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thats right, you have to be patient in your position as its part of your job. Like you have been with me.
Plus most of them are n00bs and know absolutely nothing, just that "my PC won't work".

Old 13-05-2006, 02:02   #51
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelia
I know I shouldn't double post, but I figured this deserved a *bumb* heh heh :P
Basically,NTL have finally caved in and admitted it's something they've done. When I moved house, ( 2 years ago) they didn't move my broadband over to my new address (they managed to move my phone service and tv fine though)and it was only a stroke of luck that the broadband worked at my new address, (albeit unstable) when they disconnected me, every time they reconnected my broadband they were connecting it at my previous address.
I've yet to have an apology or any recompense for the 2 weeks of downtime, the new NIC purchased, reformatting my harddrive,2 days off work to wait for engineers that never fixed anything etc etc etc.
I'm so unhappy with NTL, hopefully my broadband will be back on tonight, but even so, I will still switch ISPs on Monday.
Thanks everyone for your help :/ Even if it was an NTL fault all along.
did it come back on?.

its confusing to me that they could i assume see your STB MAC, check its setting and so on but didnt get it working, the tv part of the STB works ok i assume?.

the fact that they changed the STB and hence the MAC address for your account but again it didnt let you through, different mac so no ones put a 'do not allow' filter on that new one, so whats the score with NTL's billing system that it appears to auto-set 'do-not-allow' or whatever they use, against their wrong billing mistake.

the fact that your old address modem part of the stb was working until they cut you off sugests that you didnt move far and are within the same network segment, so its another case of 'ODD NTL ways'

i'd like to understand the NTL system so we readers can relay that info in the future if needs be, to save everyones effort later.

so you have broadband/TV/Phone from ntl, they make a mistake and the automatic system does what ?.

sets a master database as not allowed for this MAC, or STB, user account No. ,or whatever.

to properly clear that, an operator needs to ?
and then the sytem does what?
and so on, anyone know the details (generally)

---------- Post added at 02:02 ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 ----------
regarding the ntl database:
is a stand alone modem locked to a users address or the mac of that modem only?

is it the same procedure for the modem as an STB?
if the modem is blocked at any point, is ntl's only option to replace it or can/do they just look up the MAC and delete it from the not allowed list etc.

oohh for other readers interested that link above
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...7&postcount=14
was just saying try this WinsockXPFix.exe
http://search.ntlworld.com/ntlworld/...ckXPFix.exe&cr=
popper is offline   Reply With Quote