Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cannot connect to 192.168.2.1

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cannot connect to 192.168.2.1

Old 13-09-2005, 19:39   #1
verticalforce
Inactive

verticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enough
Cannot connect to 192.168.2.1

WHy why why??? I just bought a US robotics wireless router, did everything it said but now i cannot surf wirelessly on my laptop as i cannot connect to the site i mention on the topic.

Also, do you use the wireless network thing at control panel to make it work? My laptop is picking up my neighour's connection but not me..why..oh why....
verticalforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-09-2005, 19:52   #2
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM
Re: Cannot connect to 192.168.2.1

IP Range Reserved by IANA.org

oops how rude of me to cable forum
Roy MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 19:59   #3
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalforce
WHy why why??? I just bought a US robotics wireless router, did everything it said but now i cannot surf wirelessly on my laptop as i cannot connect to the site i mention on the topic.
That address is not a 'site' - it's the IP address of your router! - i.e. it's (probably) the gateway address.

Try browsing to an actual website instead.

(BTW _ how are you managing to post here?)

Quote:
Also, do you use the wireless network thing at control panel to make it work? My laptop is picking up my neighour's connection but not me..why..oh why....
Not sure what a 'network thing' is - care to elaborate?

Have you managed to access the setup pages of the router? There may be some settings to adjust. I'd also suggest you enable encryption security on your wireless network, unless you want everyone in the neighbourhood to have free access to the Internet over YOUR connection.
Old 13-09-2005, 20:09   #4
verticalforce
Inactive

verticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enoughverticalforce will become famous soon enough

How do u enable encryption?

And btw, by using the USB Wireless adapter, my laptop is running at CPU 100% right now and refuse to open IE! wth?.....

By network wireless thing, i mean it's the one in control panel.
Old 13-09-2005, 20:10   #5
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM

Try a proxy
Roy MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 20:16   #6
verticalforce
Inactive

Ok, my highest priority right now is to get my laptop from 100% usage to 20% or whatever the safe lvl is.

Btw, let me just type what my manual says.

"Launch a Web browser, in the location or address line bla bla bla, type http://192.168.2.2 to access the Web User interface"

The problem is, i can't access the site!!!
Old 13-09-2005, 20:20   #7
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

looks like your 'puter isn't picking up the wireless signal yet... if you have a cable (and network port) can you set it up that way first, then switch to wireless?
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 20:24   #8
ScaredWebWarrior

Quote:
Btw, let me just type what my manual says.

"Launch a Web browser, in the location or address line bla bla bla, type http://192.168.2.2 to access the Web User interface"

The problem is, i can't access the site!!!
According to your original question, you were trying to access 192.168.2.1

Typically 192.168.2.2 is your web interface, and 192.168.2.1 is the gateway!

Quote:
How do u enable encryption?
It should be an option once you get to the web interface.

Quote:
By network wireless thing, i mean it's the one in control panel.
Have a look - does it show any network connections? Are any of them enabled (i.e. NOT with a big red X through them?) If so, right-click and check the Status info - let us know what you have.
Old 13-09-2005, 20:24   #9
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

verticalforce, to CableForum.

As said above, the 192.168.x.x range of IPs is reserved for private networking, and is usually the range of adresses used by home networks.

As for enabling Wireless security, have a look at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8435
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 20:54   #10
verticalforce
Inactive

Sorry Scared, it should be 2.1 on my recent post, it's a typo.

The web interface is the address, and i can't get in the address, so.... i think i'll just go over a corner and cry..........

Anyway, anyway knows how to downgrade my laptop usage?

Btw, my laptop detected my wireless connection but it's still cant load any web pages? It even says the connection is very good.... tried my neighbours connection again and i can load pages although the connection is poor... hmmm....

Omg, all this thing is confusing. My firefox still says can't load everytime i enter http://192.168.2.1
Old 13-09-2005, 20:59   #11
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

try 192.168.1.1
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 20:59   #12
ScaredWebWarrior

Quote:
Btw, my laptop detected my wireless connection but it's still cant load any web pages? It even says the connection is very good....
OK - that's a start.

Quote:
tried my neighbours connection again and i can load pages although the connection is poor... hmmm....
Cheap Internet connection

Quote:
Omg, all this thing is confusing. My firefox still says can't load everytime i enter http://192.168.2.1
Just make sure you're NOT using your neighbour's wireless connection when you're doing this.

Just remember that 'site' (192.168.2.1) is inside YOUR router - and only accessible from your network - it is NOT a 'website' out on the Internet!
Old 13-09-2005, 21:17   #13
verticalforce
Inactive

ARGHGHHHHH HOW SILLY OF ME!

i actually attempted to connect to the address by using my pc with the modem and not my laptop which wirelessly connect to my router!

I'm through now, yeshhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!11

Ok one more problem, sorry guys! Do i choose the option "cable modem or xDSL router?" I use NTL 1MB and i dont think ntl use fixed ip so this might be it.

And it also asks me host name and mac address. omg? Do i put the big macdonald address? I genuinely do not know but they have fill my mac address apparently but not the host name, what do i put as host name?
Old 13-09-2005, 21:21   #14
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

yes choose cable modem
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 21:21   #15
ScaredWebWarrior

Quote:
ARGHGHHHHH HOW SILLY OF ME!
I'm saying nothing...

Quote:
Ok one more problem, sorry guys! Do i choose the option "cable modem or xDSL router?" I use NTL 1MB and i dont think ntl use fixed ip so this might be it.
Cable modem.

It is NOT fixed IP.

Quote:
And it also asks me host name and mac address. omg? Do i put the big macdonald address? I genuinely do not know but they have fill my mac address apparently but not the host name, what do i put as host name?
You should not have to enter either of these.