Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tried to use DD-WRT on my WRT610N =(bricked)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Tried to use DD-WRT on my WRT610N =(bricked)

Old 13-12-2012, 04:19   #31
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Tried to use DD-WRT on my WRT610N =(bricked)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
I am wondering if you have got this section correct:

"Code:
killall udhcpc

/usr/sbin/udhcpc -i vlan2 -V "6.14.1aN_UNI|PCBAFAST2504Nv1.0" -c "UUUUUUUUUU@skydsl|PPPPPPPPPPPPPP" -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc &
vlan2 - change this to match the information found in step 2"

The ampersand signifies that the line of code is not complete and continues on the next line. Is this symble in the right position? Try it with and without any spaces.
That's incorrect.

A backslash is used to continue a command over multiple lines. An ampersand signals to the shell to not wait for the application to return before continuing.

---------- Post added at 04:19 ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Well I tried your suggestions Mick but it still wouldnt establish a connection to the wan, I also ran the command "ps" again in the command shell for your perusal..

I'm not sure if anything can be gleaned from this
Unless your PS output is getting cut off, what the system thinks it's running and what you told it to run are entirely different. Stretch the window and run PS again to see if the udhcpc is being cut short.

Best way to debug is to connect to the router using telnet or SSH and run that command manually to see what the output is. I'm not sure how DD-WRT handles its' syslog or whether it has one at all, on Openwrt it's easy enough to see what's going wrong as the system log will contain any errors output by the startup script or your udhcpc command.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-12-2012, 13:31   #32
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
That's incorrect.

A backslash is used to continue a command over multiple lines. An ampersand signals to the shell to not wait for the application to return before continuing.
Thanks for the heads up.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 22:19   #33
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Thanks qas for the heads up and Mick for the PM, I will have a try again over the weekend once Mrs Pabs is content with the Christmas prep stuff.

I really apprecaite the help gents, even though most of it goes over my head
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 16:35   #34
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Did you get this sorted in the end?
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 16:48   #35
pabscars
Inactive

pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

In a word no, I had a quick look over Christmas but couldnt get my head into gear as both me and Mrs Pabs got man flu and what seemed like every lurgy under the sun, all good now though

I have been meaning to get back in that mindset and have another bash for the last week or two but havent been able to motivate my arse.

I will have a play I think tonight (seen as youve asked) and if I cant get the darn thing to play ball, its getting shot in my garden whether it likes it or not, after shooting it I will probably burn it, then crush it in my vice, then grind it to dust and bury it.
Old 23-01-2013, 17:06   #36
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Give openwrt a try, if you need a hand give me a shout
Old 23-01-2013, 17:12   #37
pabscars
Inactive

Much obliged sir
Old 23-01-2013, 17:30   #38
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

Old 07-02-2013, 09:44   #39
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
Give openwrt a try, if you need a hand give me a shout
Quick update, I took craig up on his offer after I gave up trying to get DDwrt to work (with his help) and sent him my WRT610N to play with, after a fair bit of fettling he's got openwrt to work on it and the router is now hooked up and working a treat so far.

The first thing the wife noticed was that her FB games run quicker and she said her lappy seems more responsive , I must confess my little netbook snaps web pages up a tad quicker too.

Her new kindle fire HD works a treat anywhere in the house, so all in all a pukka job and a big thanks to craigj2k12 for sorting it out and not giving up .

My only issue with the openwrt firmware is I don't see how I can enable upnp in the gui or find a dmz to open the NAT on both the games consoles

any tips or advice peeps
Old 07-02-2013, 14:28   #40
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

In view of the latest revelations of security holes I don't think you really want to activate upnp.

Sorry I never used openwrt but I bet the dmz option you are looking for is there somewhere. Have you checked the options in the firewall section.

Glad to hear you got your router sorted in the end.
Old 07-02-2013, 15:46   #41
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
In view of the latest revelations of security holes I don't think you really want to activate upnp.

Sorry I never used openwrt but I bet the dmz option you are looking for is there somewhere. Have you checked the options in the firewall section.

Glad to hear you got your router sorted in the end.
I hear what your saying Mick about upnp it was just an easier option I was looking at, the DMZ option simply isnt there like it is on a normal entry level GUI.

Ive looked in the firewall section but it's not there, Ive not spent loads of time mooching in it's GUI but I'm going to give it some welly tonight and have a bit of a play.

A big thanks for everyones help by the way, yourself included , its taken a while to get it working but hopefully now were on easy street.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:39   #42
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Quote:
I hear what your saying Mick about upnp it was just an easier option I was looking at, the DMZ option simply isnt there like it is on a normal entry level GUI.

Ive looked in the firewall section but it's not there, Ive not spent loads of time mooching in it's GUI but I'm going to give it some welly tonight and have a bit of a play.

A big thanks for everyones help by the way, yourself included , its taken a while to get it working but hopefully now were on easy street.
OpenWrt Wiki » Documentation » HOWTOs » Setting up a DMZ

HTH?
Old 08-02-2013, 18:44   #43
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Have you installed it?

Like everything else on Openwrt UPNP is a modular feature. You have to install it first.

System => Software => luci-app-upnp or opkg install luci-app-upnp
Old 08-02-2013, 19:22   #44
pabscars
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Have you installed it?

Like everything else on Openwrt UPNP is a modular feature. You have to install it first.

System => Software => luci-app-upnp or opkg install luci-app-upnp
In a word no , I find it all a bit daunting and most of it goes over my head. Openwrt looks far too advanced for your average Jo

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

Quote:
Just had a quick squizz at it and its not exactly instructions that I can follow with a decent level of understanding, I appreciate this is probably frustrating for you guys that know your arses from your elbows so to speak, but I just dont understand it clearly enough not to bugger it up.
Old 08-02-2013, 19:22   #45
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Took me 3 years to get to grips with it too

As I was saying to someone else thinking of switching, it does have a steeper learning curve but once you figure it out it is a lot more powerful. Same as Windows vs. Linux really.

If you want upnp you'll have to install it and the GUI gives you an easy enough way of doing that...