Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Port Forwarding

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Port Forwarding

Old 21-03-2008, 15:49   #1
)3az )3aziah
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV Virgin Phone Virgin 10meg (20meg ?)
)3az )3aziah is an unknown quantity at this point
Port Forwarding

I want to port forward my Scientific Atlanta 2100 modem, however I cant get to the setup option on my modems "about your modem" page:

http://192.168.100.1/

The location of the option (Yellow dot) does not have the setup option or allow me to click on it. Is this correct ?

If iy is how where can I find out how to port forward ports ? Can it be done on VM ?
)3az )3aziah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2008, 15:55   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Port Forwarding

You need a router for port forwarding, not a modem.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 16:01   #3
Cerberus
Permanently Banned

Cerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of QuadsCerberus has a fine set of Quads

As Paul has stated above you need a router for port forwarding.

For further information after obtaining a router you can use Port Forward for details on how to port forward using specific brands of router.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 16:08   #4
RizzyKing

I am currently pulling my hair out over port forwarding i have been to port forward done everything it says and still the port cannot be reached i am fast coming to the conclusion that it isn't worth it lol.
Old 21-03-2008, 16:12   #5
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
I am currently pulling my hair out over port forwarding i have been to port forward done everything it says and still the port cannot be reached i am fast coming to the conclusion that it isn't worth it lol.
I arent sure your level of tech awareness but one thing you may want to double check is that you are forwarding the ports to the correct ip. Many of my less tech-savvy friends try to forward the ports to their external ip provided by the ISP rather than to the private ip which usually starts 192.168.X.X
OF1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 16:39   #6
RizzyKing

Hi yeah i have set the ip as the 192.168 but when i do a port check it seems to be doing it on a completely different ip address i am not brilliant with network so that has had me scratching my head lol. I did the whole set a static ip in vista no problem.
Old 21-03-2008, 16:51   #7
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

You may have forwarded to the IP of the router rather than the private IP of the pc you want the rule to work on.
OF1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 17:15   #8
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

If you use port forwarding, make sure you manually assign IP's to your networked computers otherwise the DHCP might assign a different IP to the computer that you're trying to forward to.
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 17:33   #9
RizzyKing

I have setup the static ip through windows vista and do not use the "obtain an ip automatically" thing. I read through port forward on how to do that and then followed the instructions for port forwarding through my router (edimax br6104k) as i said networking is not something i have overly bothered with so i might be missing something really simple along the way. I have enabled virtual server with the 192.168.x.x address on the port i want open and disabled the router firewall and nothing port still blocked so i re-enabled the firewall. I will do my usual thing of had a go hit a problem go away have a think come back to it later.
Old 21-03-2008, 18:33   #10
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
I have setup the static ip through windows vista and do not use the "obtain an ip automatically" thing. I read through port forward on how to do that and then followed the instructions for port forwarding through my router (edimax br6104k) as i said networking is not something i have overly bothered with so i might be missing something really simple along the way. I have enabled virtual server with the 192.168.x.x address on the port i want open and disabled the router firewall and nothing port still blocked so i re-enabled the firewall. I will do my usual thing of had a go hit a problem go away have a think come back to it later.
Have you turned the inbuilt vista firewall off?
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 18:42   #11
RizzyKing

No i havn't i configured it to allow traffic on the port in question in both tcp&udp and thought that was all i needed to do with regard to the vista firewall as well as unblock the application in question.