Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

Old 01-05-2007, 09:52   #121
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star
Re: Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii View Post
If the wireless SSID was "OpenToAll" or "FreeBroadband" or "FreeloadersWelcome" would that change anything?
The opposite of the above, but interesting! This is the first time I've seen this - do I live near a CF member?
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2007, 20:39   #122
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
The opposite of the above, but interesting! This is the first time I've seen this - do I live near a CF member?
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 21:12   #123
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
If the wireless SSID was "OpenToAll" or "FreeBroadband" or "FreeloadersWelcome" would that change anything?
Seen any of mine ? I tend to call mine : "FreeBoredBand"

At home I have in addition to the " secured ? " wireless networks I have one that is open for guests, visitors and really anyone wanting to use the internet without the fuss of wep/wpa keys et al.

Its bolted down by VLAN / packet rate filters (100kbps burstable to my full bandwidth) and all is available is DNS,Web,SSL,IMAP(S),POP3 which is good enough for most people.

I did try an experiment in Camden where I set up a free AP for the purpose of replaying SSL packets : Plain illegal of course.

So if you want to steal someones broadband make sure you don't do any online banking :p
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 21:16   #124
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrC-3rr0r View Post
Seen any of mine ? I tend to call mine : "FreeBoredBand"

At home I have in addition to the " secured ? " wireless networks I have one that is open for guests, visitors and really anyone wanting to use the internet without the fuss of wep/wpa keys et al.

Its bolted down by VLAN / packet rate filters (100kbps burstable to my full bandwidth) and all is available is DNS,Web,SSL,IMAP(S),POP3 which is good enough for most people.

I did try an experiment in Camden where I set up a free AP for the purpose of replaying SSL packets : Plain illegal of course.

So if you want to steal someones broadband make sure you don't do any online banking :p
Nope, never really seen any other open ones.

Bes thing to do is to go wired anywho in my book
Old 01-05-2007, 21:28   #125
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Nope, never really seen any other open ones.

Bes thing to do is to go wired anywho in my book
Indeed I tend to do very little traffic on wireless. My house has been cat5'd.
Old 01-05-2007, 21:30   #126
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrC-3rr0r View Post
Indeed I tend to do very little traffic on wireless. My house has been cat5'd.
Made the mistake of having our modem downstairs... So i was on wireless for ages... Then all of a sudden, a 2Gb link upstairs to down with 2xCat6 And then Cat5E upstairs. So, Wireless is a thing of the past here
Old 01-05-2007, 21:46   #127
The Jackal
Inactive

Quote:
Made the mistake of having our modem downstairs... So i was on wireless for ages... Then all of a sudden, a 2Gb link upstairs to down with 2xCat6 And then Cat5E upstairs. So, Wireless is a thing of the past here
Nice.

I'm not allowed any cabling around the house so all mine is CAT5e under the floorboards etc wish I ran CAT6 but I don't lose much