Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help please

Old 04-03-2005, 18:32   #1
kash
Inactive

kash is an unknown quantity at this point
Help please

Hi, sorry, this is probably a little basic, but I need some help.

I have my desktop pc upstairs connected to ntl broadband through my set top box. I have just bought a laptop and woul like to connect it to the same broadband connection. How would I do it?
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2005, 18:38   #2
monkey2468
Inactive

Services: 1tb tivo, vhd, 60meg shub2 cablemodem, 1Xphoneline, Virgin mobile contract p
monkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quads
Re: Help please

Plug in the cable that is in your pc (asuming its ethernet) into your laptop, then reboot the modem and startup, laptop.

If its USB its a little more complicated
monkey2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 18:40   #3
kash
Inactive

It is actually a usb cable
Old 04-03-2005, 18:42   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

to CF.

The easiest way to accomplish this is to get yourself a router.

Connect the PC to the outer, and the router to the STB. This will give you access to your internet connection from the main PC and then gives you two options for connecting the laptop.

1) You can connect the laptop's ethernet port directly to the router via a network cable.

2) If you have bought a wireless router and your laptop has wireless capability (or a wireless card) you can connect wirelessly to the router from other places on your house (or garden if you are lucky ).

I would suggest that option 2 is the best bet as this gives you more versatility with your laptop.

For wireless routers I would recommend the model in my signature, if you don't have wireless capability on your laptop you should be able to add it quite easily by buying a plug-in card.

I would also suggest (if you haven't done so already) that your PC should be connected to the STB via ethernet and not USB.

Hope some of that helps, if you have any questions just shout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey2468
Plug in the cable that is in your pc (asuming its ethernet) into your laptop, then reboot the modem and startup, laptop.

If its USB its a little more complicated
I think the OP is trying to share the connecton between the two machines.

Swapping the cables backwards and forwards gets complicated with STBs as you need to re-register the MAC address for each device.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 18:43   #5
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

may i you to the site as well , the above advice is very solid and the easiest way to do it
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 18:43   #6
monkey2468
Inactive

Services: 1tb tivo, vhd, 60meg shub2 cablemodem, 1Xphoneline, Virgin mobile contract p
monkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quadsmonkey2468 has a fine set of Quads

To conect using USB you will need the NTL disc with the USB driver on it.
Plug USB cable into laptop with the laptop switched on. Windows will then ask for driver, insert disc, follow instruction.......... (you may need to reboot the STB afterwards)

edit: just seen above post, please ignor me!
monkey2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 18:43   #7
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Something like this would probably do the job quite nicely:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=78215
Old 04-03-2005, 18:50   #8
Raistlin
Inactive

I would seriously forget the USB route, if you want to share the connection a router is definately the best way to go.

This way ou get a permenantly shared connetion without the hassle of continually swaping cables.

The other consideration is that using the USB connection uses a lot of system resources because the USB drivers have to translate the information coming through the connection. If you use an ethernet connection the ethernet card will take care of this and take some of the pressure off of your PC, giving you better performance.
Old 04-03-2005, 18:50   #9
kash
Inactive

WOW guys thanks for the really fast responses aswel as the welcomes.

The wireless option seems to be the way to go, 1 question though, what does STB stand for. Forgive my ignorance.
Old 04-03-2005, 18:52   #10
Raistlin
Inactive

STB = Set Top Box

And, you're welcome.

There's a load of good info here about setting up wireless routers, and dealing with stroppy STBs, I would strongly suggest a good read through the threads on the board before you start connecting things up. That way you should be fairly prepared for most eventualities.

Ultimately though if you get any problems you can always post back here and I'm sure ther'll be somebody more than happy to help
Old 04-03-2005, 18:56   #11
kash
Inactive

of course

Just checked the spec of my laptop and i have -"Gigabit LAN / 802.11g Wireless LAN ". Is this sufficicent or will I need anything else.

Also, you recomended me to connect my pc to the STB via ethernet. How would I do this.

**edit-Ok, I think I sshould start reading the forum
Old 04-03-2005, 19:08   #12
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash
of course

Just checked the spec of my laptop and i have -"Gigabit LAN / 802.11g Wireless LAN ". Is this sufficicent or will I need anything else.

Also, you recomended me to connect my pc to the STB via ethernet. How would I do this.
Ok:

1) Yes, your laptop should be able to connect without any problems.

2) If you're going to connect the PC to the router anyway:

PC > ROUTER > STB

then there is no need to connect the PC direct to the STB (sorry if I confused you there).

You need to check that you have an ethernet port on the back of the PC, there should be one on the back of the STB but it doesn't hurt to check that as well , it's a bit like a telephone socket but bigger.

If you have then you simply need to use the ethernet cable that should have come with the STB to connect the router to the STB. Your router will come with a cable.

you need to do some trick stuff to get the STB to recognise the router (that's covered on other threads but hopefully somebody will repeat it here for you) and once that's sorted you should be able to connect the main PC without too many problems.

Once the main PC is connected you can connect the laptop via the wireless card and all should be well.

Once the two are connected and working it will be necessary to set up the security on the router (and the PC and Laptop) and then you are good to go

They look like this (should be labelled though):

Oh, and if you go here:

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/select_modem.php

You can select the type of STB that you have and then see the way that NTL say you can do it
Old 04-03-2005, 19:16   #13
kash
Inactive

Thanks for the thumbnail, but im not that bad
Anyway, I checked everything. the STB and the laptop have an ethernet port, but unfortunately my PC doesnt. Looks like Il have to get one put in.

You also mentioned the ethernet cable which should have coem with STB, I found a unconnected cable with a round head on and a thin little needle in the middle of the head. Am I right in thinking this is the ethernet cable?
Old 04-03-2005, 19:20   #14
Raistlin
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks for the thumbnail, but im not that bad
Sorry dude, no offence meant

Quote:
Anyway, I checked everything. the STB and the laptop have an ethernet port, but unfortunately my PC doesnt. Looks like Il have to get one put in.
Shame. Still, ethernet cards are dirt cheap and easy enough to fit.

Quote:
You also mentioned the ethernet cable which should have coem with STB, I found a unconnected cable with a round head on and a thin little needle in the middle of the head. Am I right in thinking this is the ethernet cable?
Not sure what that one is, I've got mine plugged into the microwave ( )
Old 04-03-2005, 19:26   #15
kash
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Sorry dude, no offence meant
Absolutely none taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
Not sure what that one is, I've got mine plugged into the microwave ( )
Yeah iv found it, it just had a usb adapter on it. Dont know what the other cable is for then, I wont connect it to my microwave though

Thanks Raistlin, you have been a GREAT help, much appreciated. Im just shocked help like this is free