Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin F5D7230 router +NTL - problem?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin F5D7230 router +NTL - problem?

Old 29-01-2006, 15:27   #1
fishyweb
Inactive

fishyweb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Belkin F5D7230 router +NTL - problem?

I have a Belkin F5D7230uk4 Wireless G Router that I am trying to use with my 1MB NTL broadband. My cable modem is model number E08C007, which I think is made by Ambit.

I have a desktop PC that connects to the router via cable, and a laptop that connects wirelessly (802.11g).

Everything works OK until, intermittently, the router "locks up". The power, wireless, and internet LEDs on the router all go out, though the modem and "wired" LEDs on the router stay on. At this point, both PCs are unable to connect to the internet or to each other. The router reset button has no effect; I have to power-cycle the router to regain operation. It will then work OK for anything between a few minutes and a couple of days, and then the same problem will recur.

The router sometimes locks up in this way even when both PCs are powered off. Note that the cable modem remins powered on 24/7.

I've flashed the router to the latest firmware, but this makes no difference.

Belkin have already replaced the router, and the same problem affects the replacement. So, there is either a generic problem with this router, or something about my environment that affects it adversely.

Could it be that there is an incompatibility between this router and the modem?

Anyone else seen this problem, or have any other ideas?
fishyweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-01-2006, 15:40   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Belkin F5D7230 router +NTL - problem?

Moved to Networking
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 16:17   #3
andyandy
Inactive

andyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of lightandyandy is a glorious beacon of light

Not that this will help you but I have the same router/modem combination and have had no problems whatsover.

It is strange that you've had a replacement which has the same problem, which could indicate it is something locally upsetting it.
andyandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 16:28   #4
Dark Fiber
Inactive

Services: (xNTL) VMDG480mm
Dark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really niceDark Fiber is just really nice

Three comments:
i) I have used this model router 24/7 with a Terayon TJ210 modem (1Mb) for roughly two years with no lockups. And its Belkin predecessor for over a year before that.
ii) I have stayed with firmware 4.03.03 on the "if it ain't broke ..." principle. Many people think Belkin firmware is often released without adequate testing.
iii) There seem to be more and more reports of routers locking up with Ambit modems albeit usually on 10Mb.
Dark Fiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 17:01   #5
chrischambers
Inactive

Services: currently with NTL broadband / SKY tv
chrischambers is an unknown quantity at this point

I had something similer.

I am on NTL 1MB, and I have a small network, which are all connected via cable. about a year ago. my belkin gate/swith kept on locking out on me. until I discovered that I had to enter in a clone MAC address, so I choose one of my computers MAC address and enter it into the belkin.

seens then I had no problem.
chrischambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2006, 20:14   #6
fishyweb
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischambers
I had something similer.

I am on NTL 1MB, and I have a small network, which are all connected via cable. about a year ago. my belkin gate/swith kept on locking out on me. until I discovered that I had to enter in a clone MAC address, so I choose one of my computers MAC address and enter it into the belkin.

seens then I had no problem.
I just tried cloing my PC's MAC address, but the router was locked up again within a few minutes.

Any more ideas anyone?
Old 31-01-2006, 10:59   #7
RichieUK
Inactive

Services: Virgin Digital, Virgin 50mb Broadband, Virgin Telephone
RichieUK is an unknown quantity at this point

I have this exact router and i'm having problems with it aswel. I'm not using the wireless on it, im only using the wired ports, but the connection dropping is driving me mad. It's really bad if 2 computers are using the Internet at the same time, it goes off about every 5 minutes. I have tried upgrading/downgrading firmware but nothing works. I think im going to buy a Linksys one, people seem to have no problems with them
RichieUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 11:08   #8
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Its the router. If it was NTL, the PCs would still be able to connect to each other, whilst not to the internet. The router is actually crashing.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 13:40   #9
chrischambers
Inactive

Services: currently with NTL broadband / SKY tv
chrischambers is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
Its the router. If it was NTL, the PCs would still be able to connect to each other, whilst not to the internet. The router is actually crashing.
I will have to go with punky, as it sounds that there is a problem with the Routors, as there are now two users with the same problem.

to make sure that it is the routor, I wound remove it from my network, and test each machine, going straght out onto the internet. an ddo a bit of surfing.

once I am happy with both machines are ok, doing this then I wound reconnect the routor and retry it with only one machine, if it crashs, then I wound redo the test in a differant port.

If the routor is still crashing then I wound go and return the routor back to the shop, and choose a differant routor, like belin or linkin
chrischambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2006, 14:30   #10
fishyweb
Inactive

I just found the following, though related to a completely different router:
Quote:

"The only thing Linksys forget to mention in the Instruction booklet is that the ethernet modem you are using for the gateway must be on a different Class C ip address. If you have it set to default collision will constantly cause it to lock up and need resetting. Just a little thought as a friend of mine had this problem, however since it was rectified it has been perfect."
I have disabled DHCP and assigned static IPs in a non-default range on my two PCs and the router. I wonder if the problem is something to do with this? Does anyone know how to check / change the IP address of the modem?
Old 01-02-2006, 19:10   #11
fishyweb
Inactive

As an update - I have being speaking to Belkin Customer Services and also their engineering department today. They have acknowledged that they are aware of the problem I'm having with my F5D7230, but do not yet know what is the cause. They have started having "a number" of such reports.

Hopefully it is just a bad batch, as they are going to send me replacement number 3 imminently!
Old 02-02-2006, 13:55   #12
RichieUK
Inactive

Services: Virgin Digital, Virgin 50mb Broadband, Virgin Telephone
RichieUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Update - I've just been to take back my Belkin router to the shop i got it from. While i was waiting there, you can see behind the returns desk because it's sort of a V shape with 2 people working, and there was 3 white Belkin boxes behind there, i'm sure they were the router i was exchanging. Anyway, got me a Linksys one, the WRT54GS, seems to be very stable so far, hopefull this is the last one ill have for a while...
RichieUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 22:58   #13
robpgfc
Inactive

robpgfc is an unknown quantity at this point

I have started to have the exact same problem recently on the belkin 7230 router and has "locked" (modem light flashing green, lan ports amber) four times in the last half an hour. Am just trying to squeeze this message through before it goes off again. I use BY but I doubt that is the problem as the cm lights remain normal during the lockup.
robpgfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:29   #14
fishyweb
Inactive

Although Belkin have pledged to replace my router again (which will result in me getting router number 4!), I have decided to try to get a refund from my supplier - dabs.com - as I have no confidence that another replacement will work any better than what I have been given already. However, Dabs are pulling the legal angle, saying that they have no obligation to provide a refund as it is more than 28 days since I took initial delivery (I got the initial router on 11th or 12th December). I've explained to Dabs that I've spent the whole of this time trying unsuccessfully to resolve the problem with the manufacturer (Belkin). I'm now awaiting Dabs' further response.
Old 03-02-2006, 15:11   #15
fishyweb
Inactive

Further update. Belkin have now pledged to replace my 7230 router with their F5D7231 G-Plus model, which apparently does not suffer from this locking up problem. I'm going to take them up on this offer. Dabs can take a running jump for now - I'll take my business elsewhere in future.

I just hope that the 7231 really is the solution to this!