Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The future of television

Old 25-06-2023, 23:26   #691
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You wouldn’t believe it if I showed you.
Correct. Because I’ve already got the links lined up that show you’ve misunderstood whatever it is you’ve been reading. But I guess we can just cut out the middleman and agree that nobody with any sense believes any of your pound shop predictions about TV.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-06-2023, 09:27   #692
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Let me guess - it goes to another school…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 09:40   #693
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Correct. Because I’ve already got the links lined up that show you’ve misunderstood whatever it is you’ve been reading. But I guess we can just cut out the middleman and agree that nobody with any sense believes any of your pound shop predictions about TV.
Here’s one, just in case, from last year…

https://www.arqiva.com/credit-Invest...esentation.pdf (page 10)

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4041.jpeg (29.2 KB, 80 views)
Old 26-06-2023, 09:53   #694
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Here’s one, just in case, from last year…

https://www.arqiva.com/credit-Invest...esentation.pdf (page 10)

I think you have your work cut out to challenge Hugh's Arqiva document!
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 10:56   #695
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

When DCMS consulted ironically only two of fifteen respondents were desperate to close DTT.

BT - who obviously envisage television as a way to forcing people to pay for broadband subscriptions.

Sky - who obviously see it as a rival platform to whatever Sky do over whatever medium.

There was no real appetite anywhere else. 2034 - far from being a magic tipping point where we will all have free full fibre broadband regardless of rurality - chosen to align the multiplex licences with the Channel 3 and 5 licences.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 12:57   #696
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

My understanding of the situation was rhat they would be licensing DTT beyond 2035, but that they reserve the right to cancel the licenses at any point from 2035 onwards. Is that not the case
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 13:26   #697
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
My understanding of the situation was rhat they would be licensing DTT beyond 2035, but that they reserve the right to cancel the licenses at any point from 2035 onwards. Is that not the case
My understanding of jfman's post is that the only reason that 2034 was chosen is that it aligns renewals with those of Channel 3 (ITV/STV) and Channel 5.

No reason to suggest licences won't be renewed because DTT will end the next year which is what old Boy has conjectured. It's just commercial logic to have an end date which can then be renewed for another period of time.
Old 26-06-2023, 13:39   #698
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

A further aspect of this licence streamlining process is Ofcom’s proposal to automatically extend licences for the 34 hyper-local TV channels currently serving cities across the UK. At present these licences will expire in 2025. Ofcom recognises they may need more time to become commercially viable and so … guess what … is proposing a simplified renewal process, that gives them more time to succeed, with a new licence lasting until 2034.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...air-until-2034

*Not* because that’s when DTT is being shut; the government consultation outlined specific reasons for the process around giving channels time to improve their commercial viability, part of which is certainty that the platform will continue to exist. This is in line with the Broadcasting White Paper issued last year which proposed consolidating various broadcast licence renewals on 2034 because that is sufficiently far into the future to signal that investors can have long-term confidence in DTT, not because that’s when they plan to close it.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ssible__1_.pdf

Especially page 38.
Old 26-06-2023, 18:09   #699
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Freeview could remain via IPTV or 5G even if it's decided to sell off the current frequencies for mobile use.

I suspect that it would be commercial viability that would cause DTT to end more than anything technological.

Maybe they would keep one mux going for PSB channels for those that cannot or don't want to access them in any other way. If they complained about the reduction in channels I bet they'd be told that they have the channels, plus a few more, that they had befote DSO!
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 18:44   #700
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Freeview could remain via IPTV or 5G even if it's decided to sell off the current frequencies for mobile use.

I suspect that it would be commercial viability that would cause DTT to end more than anything technological.

Maybe they would keep one mux going for PSB channels for those that cannot or don't want to access them in any other way. If they complained about the reduction in channels I bet they'd be told that they have the channels, plus a few more, that they had befote DSO!
In many ways the delivery mechanism is a secondary question, in terms of this discussion at least. Old Boy’s contention (most of the time at least) has been that as soon as content providers can stop scheduling broadcasts and switch exclusively to Netflix-style on demand systems, they will do so, because it’s (allegedly) more convenient for everyone.

At present the public service broadcasters aren’t allowed to go on-demand only, but there are only around a dozen channels that fall under that category. All of the rest are on broadcast channels because they *want* to be there, and Ofcom’s extension and streamlining of the licensing for those channels, taking them out to 2034 with minimal fuss, is designed to make it as easy as possible for them to be there.

If in future it is deemed a better use of spectrum to broadcast TV via IP or 5G, (both of which are technically feasible though presently have serious limitations as to their reach and universal affordability) then Freeview can go from its present DTT to one or more alternative mechanisms. But the idea that content providers want to ditch their programming schedules just as soon as they can is for the birds. As indeed is the idea that Ofcom or the government wants them to do so.
Old 26-06-2023, 18:48   #701
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
A further aspect of this licence streamlining process is Ofcom’s proposal to automatically extend licences for the 34 hyper-local TV channels currently serving cities across the UK. At present these licences will expire in 2025. Ofcom recognises they may need more time to become commercially viable and so … guess what … is proposing a simplified renewal process, that gives them more time to succeed, with a new licence lasting until 2034.
Even if you extended them until 2099 I don't reckon they would be commercially viable.

"Hyper local my arse" as Jim Royle would say!
Old 26-06-2023, 18:54   #702
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Even if you extended them until 2099 I don't reckon they would be commercially viable.

"Hyper local my arse" as Jim Royle would say!
I was just trying to find a shorthand way of describing what they are. But fair enough, you can’t polish a 💩
Old 26-06-2023, 18:57   #703
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

At the end of the day does it really matter how TV is delivered.
Old 26-06-2023, 21:27   #704
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
At the end of the day does it really matter how TV is delivered.
The discussion isn't really about how it's delivered (DTT, IPTV, 5G, beamed directly to your brain by the COVID vaccine, or whatever ), it centres more on whether it will be a combination of Scheduled Programming and Streaming, or, just Streaming...
Old 02-07-2023, 08:59   #705
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

More bad news for loathers of linear. In essence, a cheap way to make a little of dosh out of old content.
Quote:
NBC Universal launches 30 FAST Channels on Freevee
Curated content from past seasons of series including Saturday Night Live, The Real Housewives franchises, and Keeping Up with the Kardashians will form the backbone of a suite of FAST channels to be launched this Summer by NBCUniversal.

The Comcast-owned distributor is creating 30 new channels that will be available on Amazon Freevee and Xumo Play. The line-up also includes Little House on the Prairie, Murder, She Wrote and Saved by the Bell, along with genre-based sitcoms, action, crime, westerns, and monster movie content.

NBCUniversal is adding to its industry leading lineup of current channels including Dateline 24/7, NBC News NOW, and Local NBC and Spanish language Telemundo news stations.
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2023...ls-on-freevee/