Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What are you reading?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What are you reading?

Old 18-07-2005, 22:01   #106
me283
Inactive

Services: Weddings, christenings, barmitzvahs
me283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronze
me283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronze
Re: What are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey
I'm fairly sure that Dan Brown read this book before he wrote the 'Da Vinci Code'
I have heard something similar about a couple of books of this genre. But isn't "The Da Vinci Code" a kind of fictitious tale?
me283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2005, 22:05   #107
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by me283
I have heard something similar about a couple of books of this genre. But isn't "The Da Vinci Code" a kind of fictitious tale?
Yeah, it's ficiton (despite what Dan Brown says) - but alot of the background he uses has been talked about in these books, such as 'The Prioy' (which was proved not to exist in that book) - Da Vinci supposedly knowing the 'truth' about Christ and hiding things in his paintings (though having said that, one of the theories is that the painting actually say that Jesus wasn't the 'chosen one' and that it was infact John The Baptist and Jesus just cashed in on it and exploited it - which is why there's a 'pointed finger' in some of the paintings (if I remember rightly)
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2005, 22:12   #108
me283
Inactive

me283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronze
me283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronzeme283 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yeah, it's ficiton (despite what Dan Brown says) - but alot of the background he uses has been talked about in these books, such as 'The Prioy' (which was proved not to exist in that book) - Da Vinci supposedly knowing the 'truth' about Christ and hiding things in his paintings (though having said that, one of the theories is that the painting actually say that Jesus wasn't the 'chosen one' and that it was infact John The Baptist and Jesus just cashed in on it and exploited it - which is why there's a 'pointed finger' in some of the paintings (if I remember rightly)
Hmmm... yes, there are a few contradictory things flying around about a lot of the areas covered in these books. There is some interesting stuff about Da Vinci in "Holy Blood..." though. Personally I find it fascinating; I only wish I had the time to research it thoroughly myself. I'm going over there at some stage later this year, so I shall scout around the region as much as time allows. Incidentally, there's also the theory that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene...?
Old 18-07-2005, 22:20   #109
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by me283
Incidentally, there's also the theory that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene...?
Yeah, that's a fairly common thread running through most of the theories - to be honest I find some of the other bits a bit more interesting - like the one that Jesus was trying to introduce aspects of the Egyptian/Gnostic religion into the Jewish religion - and that the whole cruxifiction was just a well played out ruse (though apparently it went a bit wrong and he ended up worse off than expected).
A lot of the theory comes down to comparisons between Jesus and Mary Magdalene, and Orisis and Isis, the Egyptian gods - with the familiar 'resurrection' theme running through both stories.
Old 18-07-2005, 22:24   #110
me283
Inactive

Quote:
Yeah, that's a fairly common thread running through most of the theories - to be honest I find some of the other bits a bit more interesting - like the one that Jesus was trying to introduce aspects of the Egyptian/Gnostic religion into the Jewish religion - and that the whole cruxifiction was just a well played out ruse (though apparently it went a bit wrong and he ended up worse off than expected).
A lot of the theory comes down to comparisons between Jesus and Mary Magdalene, and Orisis and Isis, the Egyptian gods - with the familiar 'resurrection' theme running through both stories.
Yep, it certainly does have some interesting threads; and they are annoyingly enticing! They seem to keep feeding my brain, but making it want to learn more!

I have to say though, that the current book I am reading raises a lot of questions of the religious aspect, and other matters eg Freemasonry etc. Fascinating stuff.
Old 18-07-2005, 22:38   #111
Millay
Inactive

Millay has reached the bronze age
Millay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze ageMillay has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Millay Send a message via Yahoo to Millay

In my quest to find a rep free thread, I thought I would come here and tel lyou what i am reading at the moment..

Someone Comes to Town Someowne Leaves Town by Cory Doctorow.

He posts his boks for download and I ve been reading it as it has a slightly techy nerdy edge to it... but all I can say is its one hell of a strange book.. people being born from washing machines women with wings... Thankfully I donttake drugs or my brain would be seriously damaged know... oh hold on it already is
Millay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 22:08   #112
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Reading "In your Dreams" by Tom Holt at the mo. Is a follow on from "The Portable Door". Very surreal fantasy along the lines of Robert Rankin only IMO more readable.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 22:11   #113
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

I'm reading 'The burning girl' by Mark Billingham - so far so good -some hit man seems to be taking out mafia guys - and somehow it's linked to a previous case where a girl was set alight in the school yard.
Old 27-07-2005, 23:16   #114
homealone

'Hothouse' by Brian Aldiss

an 'at the end of time' story - the sun is starting to grow, vegetation takes over, humans shrink, giant spiders transport them to the moon, and back - all the while a fungus tries to control their minds........

classic scifi, I love it
Old 27-07-2005, 23:26   #115
Steve H
Inactive

Services: Freeview, 512k Pipex.
Steve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of Quads
Send a message via ICQ to Steve H Send a message via MSN to Steve H Send a message via Yahoo to Steve H

Just started HP 6.... hopefully have that finished tonight or at the latest tommorow night, so I can attack a new book I got told about..

Unsure if it's already been posted in this thread, but ;

http://www.underground-book.com/about.php3

Seems promising, will post back once I've read it
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 01:12   #116
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua
Reading "In your Dreams" by Tom Holt at the mo. Is a follow on from "The Portable Door". Very surreal fantasy along the lines of Robert Rankin only IMO more readable.
I've read The Portable Door which was pretty good, but I tried others of his like Snow White and the Seven Samurai which I just found tedious and unfunny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
'Hothouse' by Brian Aldiss
I tried reading this one many years ago and was totally baffled by it!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 06:55   #117
skyblueheroes
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & Pipex 8mb ADSL
skyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appeal
skyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appealskyblueheroes has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to skyblueheroes

Sorry, not read all this thread as only just picked it up.

Just finished The Da Vinci Code - very good imo.

Now on A Paratroopers Story of D-Day and The Fall Of Nazi Germany. Just started, but seems okay so far.
skyblueheroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 16:28   #118
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

A book a friend of mine wrote currently untitled about vampires and dark adventures in Romania. Very interesting and chilling read.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 22:20   #119
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

See Delphi and Die by Lindsey Davis

Off beat crime novel set in the time of Vespasian featuring an informer (detective) called Falco with a pratician wife Helen (who keeps him in line) and various disfunctional family members.

First book in the series is The Silver Pigs (set mostly in Britain and where he meets his future wife).
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 22:22   #120
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

The Sentinel by Arthur C. Clarke.

Dilligaf told me about it in another thread, so I thought that I'd better read it.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote