Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router making strange noises when download

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router making strange noises when download

Old 17-06-2008, 09:41   #1
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star
Router making strange noises when download

My Netgear Router is making noises similar to that of an old harddrive whenever I am download images or anything on a website.

Whats happening.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-06-2008, 09:42   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Router making strange noises when download

Is it like a hissing noise?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 11:19   #3
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

Could be called that, it reminds me of those old harddrives back in the P3 days.
Old 17-06-2008, 11:55   #4
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Hissing is normal. Its just the electronics working away. I have a router that does that and has worked normally for the last 7 years. Its a little annoying but you get used to it.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 13:06   #5
AndrewJ
Inactive

Hmm thanks, it just begun doing it a few days back I thought my Macbook was having HD issues until I sourced the noise down to the router.
Old 17-06-2008, 15:02   #6
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
Hmm thanks, it just begun doing it a few days back I thought my Macbook was having HD issues until I sourced the noise down to the router.
If it only started a few days ago then there could be something wrong. Hissing can often be plotted down to an "arc" of electricity as well as normal electronics noise. However in the case of a router running at such a low voltage it would be very difficult to do. I'd keep an eye on it and check its not running hotter than normal.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 15:07   #7
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Could also be a dodgy cap?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 20:27   #8
AndrewJ
Inactive

How do you mean? it seems solid enough, if not a little hot after being turned on all day it sits on top of a bookshelf and is just left alone really.
Old 17-06-2008, 20:37   #9
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJ View Post
How do you mean? it seems solid enough, if not a little hot after being turned on all day it sits on top of a bookshelf and is just left alone really.
I think he means a dodgy capacitor - IIRC they can make funny noises under certain conditions
Old 17-06-2008, 21:02   #10
AndrewJ
Inactive

Ahh, yeah it is possible if it continues to get even more noisy I shall pack it up and take it back to Currys.
Old 24-06-2008, 21:13   #11
port 21
Inactive

Services: VM Large | BT total broadband | Virgin Mobile contract | Virgin contract on blackberry 8820 | Cable
port 21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
I think he means a dodgy capacitor - IIRC they can make funny noises under certain conditions
QFT ^

My old cisco pix switch had itself a little meltdown after my kitten fell asleep on it and it overheated, a capacitor blew and and it died a horrible death =[
port 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 21:16   #12
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

New Router!!! Yay!!!!
Old 24-06-2008, 21:16   #13
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
Electrolytic caps make odd noises if they're about to blow. Make a better noise when they do blow if connected to 240V AC
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 22:12   #14
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by port 21 View Post
QFT ^

My old cisco pix switch had itself a little meltdown after my kitten fell asleep on it and it overheated, a capacitor blew and and it died a horrible death =[

- hopefully the pix, not the kitten -
Old 25-06-2008, 08:48   #15
port 21
Inactive

Services: VM Large | BT total broadband | Virgin Mobile contract | Virgin contract on blackberry 8820 | Cable
port 21 is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL.

ALmost killed my cat though. Not that the pix was expensive, i got it for free, but thats not the point! haha.
I was actually studying for my CCNA when it happend, so i stuck that on hold so i could repair my little test kit. =P

To the OP, if you turn it off for like 2 hours then turn it back on, does it still make the noise?
port 21 is offline   Reply With Quote