Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | My NAS isn't

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

My NAS isn't

Old 28-07-2007, 21:59   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
My NAS isn't

I'm having trouble with my NAS (network attached storage) in the fact its not being very Network storage like at the moment.

Its an MRT communications dual HDD NAS (bought from svp) it was working fine till today where its been locking up every time I try and send more than a few hundred MB at it..

So far i've tried.

1) rebooting it (several times)
2) Reload firmware via FW upgrade option.
3) Reset factory deafults
4) switch the HDD's from RAID0 to 2 seaperate standalone sata drives (which of course formatted them in the processes)

It will sit there quite happily as long as I don't ask it to do anything as soon as I try reading/writing more than a few hundred MB the thing will fall over, I lose all ability to communicate with the device its inbuilt FTP and Samba all fall over the webinterface will not respond it needs a hard power off and then power back on to get it to go again.

Should I consider RMAing the thing its only about 2 weeks old

Did wander if its the swtich its connected to but resetting that doesn't seem to help, besides the PC goes though the switch to get the internet.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2007, 22:02   #2
zing_deleted

Re: My NAS isn't

temperature?
Old 28-07-2007, 23:16   #3
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
temperature?
Did wander, it does have a couple oldish dm9's in not the most reliable drives in the world.
Old 28-07-2007, 23:20   #4
zing_deleted

arrrr there ya go then does the nas unit have any cooling?
Old 29-07-2007, 17:25   #5
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
arrrr there ya go then does the nas unit have any cooling?
has a fan... which is working properly (or at least it seems to be)

Uploaded some music via FTP but throttled back the speed to 300kb/s with 8 connections and it seemed a lot happier yet if i use SAMBA or allow just 1 ftp connection to max out it seems to lockup.

Did wander if its trying to buffer more than it can actually handle.
Old 03-08-2007, 23:40   #6
dragon
Inactive

Ok its i'm pretty sure now that zingle was spot on with the heat, had to run it with the sides off and put in an extra fan to keep the thing going.

Thing is only fan i had spare would only fit in space between the hdd and the side, not a problem if I run the thing with the right panel removed but if it put it back on it restricts the airflow to much and it overheats again.

http://www.fbdragon.co.uk/external/pics/PICT0243.JPG need to change that fan since it was one I recovered from a broken laptop cooler and is labelled as 5v and im probably got it on a 12v feed *although id have thought if it really was a 5v fan it would have gone pop on a 12v feed*

Could possibly fit a smaller fan on the front but I don't think that would work to well since the front vent is covered by the LEDs /pcb.

Was tempted to cut or drill some vents in the side panel (its only a thin aluminium) any case modders around that could advice?
Old 03-08-2007, 23:54   #7
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Isn't there anywhere you can glue a chipset heatsink and maybe a fan on the circuit board? I guess touching any large pieces of silicon would help you deduce which component is overheating, probably voiding your RMA options in the process .

Also on the subject of NAS, anyone see This on el Reg? Not strictly just NAS, but I can think of a few nice uses for it. Pity it doesn't support audio/video devices (yet).
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 00:02   #8
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Isn't there anywhere you can glue a chipset heatsink and maybe a fan on the circuit board? I guess touching any large pieces of silicon would help you deduce which component is overheating, probably voiding your RMA options in the process .

Also on the subject of NAS, anyone see This on el Reg? Not strictly just NAS, but I can think of a few nice uses for it. Pity it doesn't support audio/video devices (yet).
No, Im not sure its the circuit board that's cooking, before I dropped that fan in I powered it down and went to move the drives out the way and the bottom one was so hot i could hardly pick it up.

I supsect its the heat generated by the Drives thats causing the problems (they are a couple of maxtor dm9's from my old pc and they seem to generate a fair amount of heat)
Old 04-08-2007, 11:59   #9
dragon
Inactive

Changed the fan for one thats more approprate (used a fan off a spare althon64 heatsink since I had a couple of those kicking about)

Probably going to modify the side panel to allow some more ventilation.