Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | very simple question about wireless

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

very simple question about wireless

Old 05-08-2005, 23:14   #1
baxxy
Inactive

baxxy is an unknown quantity at this point
very simple question about wireless

Hi
This question is probably very obvious to you guys but i need to know something.

I live in the top floor of a shared house, and there are 3 people who want to share a broadband connection.

I ordered ntl and bought myself a belkin wireless router and wireless card.

Am i right in thinking that all need to do is connect the router to the modem supplied in the lounge and everyone in the house with a wireless card will be able to acccess the internet?

Or does one machine have to be permanantly connected to the router via a cable?
This would be an issue as the router is in the lounge and i am on a desktop pc.
baxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2005, 23:28   #2
zovat
Inactive

Services: NTL Telephone 3M Broadband - CM Sky TV
zovat has reached the bronze age
zovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze agezovat has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to zovat
Re: vert simple question about wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxxy
Hi
This question is probably very obvious to you guys but i need to know something.

I live in the top floor of a shared house, and there are 3 people who want to share a broadband connection.

I ordered ntl and bought myself a belkin wireless router and wireless card.

Am i right in thinking that all need to do is connect the router to the modem supplied in the lounge and everyone in the house with a wireless card will be able to acccess the internet?

Or does one machine have to be permanantly connected to the router via a cable?
This would be an issue as the router is in the lounge and i am on a desktop pc.
hi and baxxy...

The short answer is yes, that is correct (although you will need to connect to the router with a cable in order to set it up initially.).

I would suggest you trawl through a couple of recent threads on this subject to get a fuller idea of what is involved.

Cheers

Zovat
zovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 23:50   #3
baxxy
Inactive

baxxy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the welcome.

So your saying i need to take my machine downstairs and connect it via the cable to register with ntl, but then i can take my machine back upstairs and just use the wireless router for connection instead?

What about the other pepole in the house with laptops, do they need to do the same or will they be instantly able to access the internet once i have registered?

Actually, it will probably be easier to just connect one of their laptops to the router and register it that way and then i guess i could then easily access it upstiars without moving?

Am i correct in thinking this?

Thanks for your support
baxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 00:06   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Ahem :http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=31794

Moved to Computers & IT
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 13:39   #5
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Once you are registered, others sharing the connection through the wireless router wont need to register. They will just have to enable their wireless connection and lock onto the network.
JUst leave the router and modem connected and then anyone with their pc can connect to the net, as long as they have wireless cards in their laptops / pc's.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote