Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Setting up a Linksys WRT54G

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Setting up a Linksys WRT54G

Old 29-07-2005, 01:27   #16
wakhtar
Inactive

Services: Telewets TV and Broadband
wakhtar is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to wakhtar
Re: Setting up a Linksys WRT54G

where can i find the thred to apply the security settings on my router.
wakhtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-07-2005, 09:55   #17
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakhtar
where can i find the thred to apply the security settings on my router.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8435. If you click "Computers & IT" (above), then "Security & Virus discussion", then you'll find that thread at the top of the list. That sub-forum has all sorts of security info.

Also, there is a summary of the above thread at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12. That was under "Broadband information" in the "Articles" section of the site..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 15:43   #18
wakhtar
Inactive

Ok so i have manged to secure my wireless network but everytime i access the internet through the router either on the desktop pc or laptop(wireless) i have to repair the network connection and then everything works. is this because i am using dhcp and the ip address lease is only for a day. I would like my dektop pc to have a fixed ip address as it stays on most of the time and other devices to have dhcp can that be possible on the Linksys.
Old 02-08-2005, 16:05   #19
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

The DHCP lease being set to one day should not matter. If the lease expires, Windows will just renew it anyway. Regarding your other query, I have found on my WRT54G that although I have my PCs using DHCP, they get assigned the same IP anyway. The only part I have statically configured is my little Print Server, but this is only because my PCs need to print to that IP.

The easest way to do this is set the IP on anything you want to have a static (IE non dynamic) IP to anywhere between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.99 . If you need help doing this, just post. I'll be back later to tell you how to do it (assuming you need to know). Can't do it at the moment, as my desktop PC is busy downloading something for the boss (so I don't want to interrupt it), my Laptop won't display the right dialog, and I haven't currently got time to figure out why...
Old 02-08-2005, 16:18   #20
wakhtar
Inactive

Stuart I need to know how to do this? i have a fair idea but dont want to mess around and leave me with no internet access .

Thanks mate...
Old 02-08-2005, 17:05   #21
Stuart
-

Right. To set a Windows XP PC to use a static IP.

Before you do anything else, run "Cmd" and type "IPconfig /all"

Look for a heading "Ethernet Adaptor Local Area Connection" (or similar). Make a note of the two IPs following the word "DNS Servers".

Go to "My Network Places". Click on "View Network Connections". Right click on "Local Area Connection" (or similar). Select "Properties".

Now, on the "General" tab, look for "This connection uses the following items:", and on the list beneath, scroll down to "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". Click "Properties". Click "Use the following IP address" and enter your chosen IP (it should be 192.168.1.xx, where xx is a number from 2 to 99). The subnet mask should be "255.255.255.0", and the default gateway will be the address of your router (probably 192.168.1.1).

Now, click "Use the following DNS server addresses:" and type your two DNS IPs, one under Preferred and the other under Alternate.

Click OK. If you should ever want to go back, just go to this dialog, and select both automatic options.
Old 05-08-2005, 21:35   #22
wakhtar
Inactive

Thanks Stuart