Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UKTV channels potentially coming to Freeview?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

UKTV channels potentially coming to Freeview?

Old 11-06-2022, 16:01   #1
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
UKTV channels potentially coming to Freeview?

There is some speculation that UKTV might move the rest of its pay channels - Eden, Alibi and GOLD - to free-to-air platforms, including Freeview. Do people think this is likely to happen?
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2022, 20:30   #2
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: UKTV channels potentially coming to Freeview?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
There is some speculation that UKTV might move the rest of its pay channels - Eden, Alibi and GOLD - to free-to-air platforms, including Freeview. Do people think this is likely to happen?
I was told when UKTV launch W on Freeview that UKTV wants Alibi and GOLD to join Freeview - using both Drama +1 and Dave Ja Vu slots.

I was told at a time that UKTV are thinking of merge Eden into Yesterday on all networks.

https://twitter.com/MediaBoyUK/statu...94989049610248
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 15:11   #3
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Thank you for the information MB. They have the slots so let's see if they decide to launch them on FV.
Old 12-06-2022, 18:37   #4
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Thank you for the information MB. They have the slots so let's see if they decide to launch them on FV.
Be good if they do.
VM (and Sky) wouldn't be pleased. Might have to review whether I need an expensive tv package any longer. All my favourite channels seem to be on Freeview.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 19:27   #5
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

Could it be worth GOLD and Drama into a single channel? Both channels air older shows from the BBC’s library, and have mostly repeats of the same stuff outside of prime time. Drama’s content could air in the daytime schedule, with Gold having the lucrative evening slots.
Aguero9320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 21:11   #6
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

The UKTV listings is mad sometime.

I have seen Comedy shows on GOLD (UKTV's Comedy channel) and Yesterday and Drama.

The Bill on Drama and W (and not Ailbi?)
Old 01-08-2022, 21:21   #7
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
Could it be worth GOLD and Drama into a single channel? Both channels air older shows from the BBC’s library, and have mostly repeats of the same stuff outside of prime time. Drama’s content could air in the daytime schedule, with Gold having the lucrative evening slots.
Drama gets much higher ratings than GOLD.

UKTV aren't going to want to merge channels when they get significantly more combined ratings keeping them separate. And they are more likely to make something FTA first, if it isn't already, as that usually leads to a sizable ratings bump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
The UKTV listings is mad sometime.

I have seen Comedy shows on GOLD (UKTV's Comedy channel) and Yesterday and Drama.

The Bill on Drama and W (and not Ailbi?)
Yesterday started showing other genres so that it could be in General Entertainment section rather than Factual, and therefore in a more prominent EPG slot.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 01-08-2022 at 23:15. Reason: Spelling typo
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 21:23   #8
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Drama gets much higher ratings than GOLD.

UKTV aren't going to want to merge channels when they get significantly more combined ratings keeping them separate. And they are more likely to make something FTA first, if it isn't already, as that usually leads to a sizable ratings bump.

Yesterday started showing other genres so that it could be in General Entertainment section rather than Factual, and therefore in a mote prominent EPG slot.
Virgin did move Yesterday into General Entertainment in 2018.
Old 02-08-2022, 15:15   #9
Rillington
cf.mega poster

It's always seemed odd to me that a factual history channel shows sitcoms.
Old 02-08-2022, 17:48   #10
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
It's always seemed odd to me that a factual history channel shows sitcoms.
It's purposefully a General Entertainment channel for the reasons I said above.
Old 02-08-2022, 20:00   #11
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Be good if they do.
VM (and Sky) wouldn't be pleased. Might have to review whether I need an expensive tv package any longer. All my favourite channels seem to be on Freeview.
Would have done this by now except that the price I pay is so close to just having bb on its own but never say never, smart tv give every thing I need
Old 03-08-2022, 15:37   #12
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Would have done this by now except that the price I pay is so close to just having bb on its own but never say never, smart tv give every thing I need
Until your manufacturer or the app provider stops supporting your TV...then it's buy a new TV or streaming stick time.
Old 03-08-2022, 18:37   #13
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Until your manufacturer or the app provider stops supporting your TV...then it's buy a new TV or streaming stick time.
Hasn't happened in all the years I've had smart TV's perhaps I am just lucky , however freeview and os will do the job . Starting to think virgins boxes days are numbered , but not in my lifetime
Old 14-09-2022, 15:11   #14
granada_tv
cf.member

granada_tv is an unknown quantity at this point

I recall on another tv forum, which shall remain unmentioned, that they did not like discussion of speculation on UKGOLD potentially joining the freeview service. I do wonder if gold will launch, it would be a nice addition, as I really would prefer not to bother with now or something just to get it.
granada_tv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2022, 17:55   #15
Rillington
cf.mega poster

I think most Freeview users would welcome the arrival of GOLD to Freeview.