Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Any business customers in new Malden having issues?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Any business customers in new Malden having issues?

Old 17-03-2020, 12:37   #1
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them
Any business customers in new Malden having issues?

Internet has gone, it coincided with a reboot of my firewall, but it’s not the firewall, the Hitron is showing 1 downstream channel and no upstream.

It’s showing network access permitted
It’s showing a WAN IP

Obviously the GRE tunnel isn’t up.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2020, 19:55   #2
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Any business customers in new Malden having issues?

It's still down here, lots of people all over the country reporting their internet wen't out around the same time, virgin being clueless with the "check the service status" and "what does it say" message.

After 35 mins I got through to business support and I have an engineer coming around tomorrow incase it is my broadband, but it's seeing the cable network and showing a WAN IP occasionally, it just never has more than one upstream and downstream and the GRE tunnel remains disconnected.
Old 17-03-2020, 20:58   #3
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I've been working from home all day today using a VM Business connection service from New Malden with no issues. 24 downstreams and 4 Up locked on.

Worth checking the SNR on the channel that does lock on, as have been this issue when there is a problem with noise in the area.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 21:09   #4
fizzyade
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
I've been working from home all day today using a VM Business connection service from New Malden with no issues. 24 downstreams and 4 Up locked on.

Worth checking the SNR on the channel that does lock on, as have been this issue when there is a problem with noise in the area.
DS
Freq 299Mhz
Mod 256QAM
Power -1.700 dBmV
SNR 37.356
Channel 21

US
Freq 39400004
BW 6400000
Mod ATDMA
Power 45 dBmV
Channel 4
Old 18-03-2020, 15:38   #5
fizzyade
cf.addict

Eventually came back online about 1pm, spent most of last night and this morning trying to get them to acknowledge there was a problem on twitter, eventually they got the hint and put out a statement saying there was an issue affecting some customers with static IP's. A couple of hours later they said it was fixed, it wasn't.

A bit more badgering on twitter and they then acknowledged that it wasn't fixed.

It back up for me, but there are people all over the country with business accounts and static IP's without service.
Old 19-03-2020, 21:57   #6
Ali195
cf.member

Ali195 is an unknown quantity at this point

Static IP VMB customer really impacted by this issue. Spent all of yesterday afternoon with 2 to 10mbps download speed but from 19:00 is slowly improved to 120mbps.

This morning it was great again, 360/20 but 10am onward & it's tanked back down again.

Rebooting makes no difference & after one hour waiting to get through they decided on an engineer.

I'm not hopeful as I don't see this being a local onsite issue but their network.

GRE is up, 24 down channels & 4 up though the values within I have no idea on.

I wish they could offer abit more than:

1. Have you power cycled the modem?
2. Speeds via ethernet?
3. ?????
4. Engineer!

Essex, SS12 region.
Ali195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 00:59   #7
fizzyade
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali195 View Post
Static IP VMB customer really impacted by this issue. Spent all of yesterday afternoon with 2 to 10mbps download speed but from 19:00 is slowly improved to 120mbps.

This morning it was great again, 360/20 but 10am onward & it's tanked back down again.

Rebooting makes no difference & after one hour waiting to get through they decided on an engineer.

I'm not hopeful as I don't see this being a local onsite issue but their network.

GRE is up, 24 down channels & 4 up though the values within I have no idea on.

I wish they could offer abit more than:

1. Have you power cycled the modem?
2. Speeds via ethernet?
3. ?????
4. Engineer!

Essex, SS12 region.
Yeah, my speed has gone to pot. RDP into my office was painful today and I gave up in the end.

I've seen a jump in latency since this happened.

It's hard to know whether it's something to do with the outage or whether it's due to more people using the net.
Old 20-03-2020, 10:35   #8
Ali195
cf.member

RDP is a way of life for me until 20th April at best. But a connection as bad as yesterday is soo stressful i borderline give up.

If it was congestion I wouldn't mind taking it down a notch but a 97% drop in bandwidth abit much.
Old 20-03-2020, 14:26   #9
fizzyade
cf.addict

Quote:
RDP is a way of life for me until 20th April at best. But a connection as bad as yesterday is soo stressful i borderline give up.

If it was congestion I wouldn't mind taking it down a notch but a 97% drop in bandwidth abit much.
I've worked from home for 8 or so years and never seen this.

I'm guessing a lot of this issue is down to streaming services usage going up hugely, I know Netflix has dropped the connection quality from what I've read, but I hope the ISP's are looking at what sort of traffic is consuming their network.

If it is streaming services, then they probably need to shape the heck out of the traffic so that people who are working from home are able to.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Old 20-03-2020, 14:28   #10
crowarth
cf.member

Services: Voom Fibre Option 3, 13 static IP addresses
crowarth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to crowarth

Same issue in the Guildford, Surrey area. Anywhere up to 10Mbit downstream, typically around 5 to 6 and not the 350 I pay for. Upstream anywhere from 5 to 10, not the 25 i'm meant to get.

Spoke to customer service after an hour in a queue, told to reboot the Hitron. They then told me they were going to push a firmware upgrade from 4.5.10.201-CD-UPC to 4.5.10.201-CD-4UPC and to give it 15 minutes. An hour later it's still on the older version and there's no change anywhere.

This is the same all week. Makes working from home very hard.
crowarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 14:48   #11
Ali195
cf.member

Second tech came onsite just now. Top man, we figured out that some of the static IP's are no good:

**VMB have a master ticket open for HALF of client static IP's being highly throttled due to high utilisation**

Cycle through them on your own equipment until you get a good one. 3 of my 5 are no good. Luckily I only need 1.
Old 20-03-2020, 15:19   #12
crowarth
cf.member

Services: Voom Fibre Option 3, 13 static IP addresses
crowarth is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to crowarth

Quote:
Second tech came onsite just now. Top man, we figured out that some of the static IP's are no good:

**VMB have a master ticket open for HALF of client static IP's being highly throttled due to high utilisation**

Cycle through them on your own equipment until you get a good one. 3 of my 5 are no good. Luckily I only need 1.
Changing my IP saw me go from 4Mbit to 360+Mbit. Solves the problem short term, but then causes me issues for anything that relies on the IP I was using
crowarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 15:30   #13
Ali195
cf.member

The tech said fix by end of the week but won't be anything like it was three years ago because that was the Hitron routers themselves. Fingers crossed but anything is better than what we were getting before.
Old 20-03-2020, 16:01   #14
fizzyade
cf.addict

Quote:

Oh man, yeah, this solved it for me. Hop 7 is dropping a lot of icmp packets though.

Old 20-03-2020, 16:58   #15
Ali195
cf.member

I'd really like to get some stats like that, any recommendation for a windows based app? Also what IP/address are you targeting? The 'network ip', first IP on the block you were given?